Springfield Fans

ftncityfatboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I posted in the other thread that my "go to" gun would be my G34 mainly because I know it will go bang everytime I squeeze the trigger. I bought the G34 because it was inexpensive, 9mm ammo is cheaper, and if I put a scratch or scuffed it up it is no big deal. Outside of my Ruger Mark III Hunter, it is the handgun that I shoot the most. I have put a little over 2k rounds in the 4-5 months I have owned it without the first problem, so I know it is reliable. However, I do not carry it because it is my least accurate handgun and the ergonomics stink.

So, I guess giving it more thought (mainly from the accuracy standpoint), I would have to say my "go to" gun would have to be one of my 1911s like my Nighthawk T3, which is my EDC. Althought they haven't been shot as much as my G34, I haven't had the first problem with any of my 1911s either. However, I would be totally ticked if I scratched one of them up. Then again, as I am thinking about this more while I am typing I keep running into conflicting viewpoints as to which is better. Therefore, I guess my final stance will be that any of my handguns, outside of the Ruger, would be my "go to" gun.

You know, I never started that thread to be a fan-boy thread. What you need to ask yourself is simply "Why do so many people prefer the Glock 19 when their lives depend on it?"

There's a simple answer to that. They work. Period. Like em, hate em...they work. I've never has any issue whatsoever with my G19. But it ain't nearly as sexy as a 1911. :rolleyes:

Guest Scramasax

Left side of bed TRP operator with gr laser and surefire, Right side XD45 gr laser and surefire. Both will outshoot me and have always functioned with any ammo I stuffed in them.

Cheers,

ts

Since I like round count, my 1911 is a hi cap, but it makes it too heavy compared to the

Glock 30 I always carry. It's a great gun and it gets shot every time I get to the range.

You know, I never started that thread to be a fan-boy thread. What you need to ask yourself is simply "Why do so many people prefer the Glock 19 when their lives depend on it?"

The thread was and still remains an open question of what a person's go to gun is. That's why I titled it that. If I had wanted it to just be about Glocks I would have included that in the title. It's not my fault that so many people prefer a gun that works. :D

understood, it just seemed that every thread was about how great Glocks are. I'm not saying they are not good pistols, and obviously many folks trust them, however, they are not the only reliable pistol that works. I wish I could get that orgasmic feeling from a Glock as so many of you do, but -- sorry, they are just not for me. As stated, my go to is a Brazilian made, Croatian made, assembled somewhere in parts unknown, very reliable Springfield. Call me crazy, stupid, whatever, my opinion is mine just like your opinion is yours. My thread was simply about Springfields since your thread was mostly about glocks, how wonderful they are, how great they work, how purdy they are, how much they impress folks or a host of other junk. Go to guns or whatever, everyone has their preference, I didn't want to start another debate on the subject of which is better, but unfortunately too many people enjoying making something out of nothing. If Glocks are your go to, great...I don't give a crap. If Hi-points are your go to, I still don't give a crap. My whole point was to openly engage in thread conversation which always get hijacked. Maybe the next time I go to Coal Creek for some target practice I will rent a G19 and see what all the wonderlust is all about. If I achieve that level of shear bliss and have that warm fuzzy feeling after shooting it, I will first check my pants to see if I wet them and if not, must have been the G19. JMTCW

Edited by ftncityfatboy
Guest chaplain tom

I have an XD .45 4 inch service - a Glock 19 - and my Texas Defender. When I'm out the Defender is my actual "carry" gun with the XD in the truck console. My Glock is at home in the bedside drawer always loaded. I carry the Defender because it conceals better than either of the Autos on my 5'8" small frame. It will serve me long enough to get to the XD in the truck (unless I happen to be in the truck) and at home it resides in a cedar box on the table next to my easy chair in the living room.

I had to use the Defender a while back to fend off a car jacking. I didn't have the XD or the Glock then so it was the only go to gun I had at the time. The incident caused me to buy both Autos and keep them in their aforementioned locations from now on. If I was of a larger frame, I would still carry the Defender, but I would also be carrying the XD on me at all times as well. I shoot it better at distances of 50 to 100 feet than the Glock. At distances of 20 feet or less I can shoot 2 inch groups with the Defender loaded with .45 Colt ammo (Defense load is Winchester Silvertip 225 Gr. JHP) and make 4 inch groups with .410 000 Buck using the Federal Premium. So I feel comfortable with all 3 guns as go to guns if needed.

By the way... my XD has over 1000 rounds through it and has never failed to feed or fire. The Glock has around 800 or so through it and has had 2 fail to feeds using JHP Corbon ammo.

Edited by chaplain tom
Oh momma... :)

I'm going to need more details.

I needed an extra 1911 to cover me, so that I could send my Mil Spec off to Springfield Armory Custom Shop, for a heavy makeover. I had looked all over the Knoxville area for a 5" Springfield GI, but couldn't find anything. Finally, I stopped in at Randy's Guns & Knives, on Broadway, here in Knoxville. To my surprise, I met my online buddy, Tamara Keel, who's a moderator on several well known forums, and has a very well known gun blog. She was, at that time, working sales at Randy's. She showed me a little GI Champion, and, while I wasn't really interested in anything other than a full size 1911, the little Champ sorta spoke to me. I looked it over, and saw that everything was particularly well fit on this example. Kept picking it up for another look, as we talked guns, but I didn't intend to buy it, until I saw the serial # started with WW3, which made me snicker. I bought it and took it home. After 1100 trouble free rounds through the Champ, I felt OK about using it as a carry piece, so the Mil Spec went to SA Custom Shop, to be tarted up by Dave Williams. (That's another story.)

A couple of years later, I decided to have the little Champion tarted up as well. My good friend Shannon Jennings did all the work (the man's a phenomenon).

• Smith & Alexander beavertail grip safety
  • Beautifully owered/flared ejection port
  • Cylinder & Slide lockwork w/ Ed Brown hammer strut
  • Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Stop
  • Greider medium trigger
  • Custom one-piece stainless guide rod
  • 10-8 rear sight, custom serrated ramp front sight w/ white epoxy dot
  • Gorgeous magwell bevel, that I now wish I'd taken a photo of
  • Flush fitting of the nice pre-70 Colt MSH I supplied
  • Very subtle dehorning, just the way I like...

Before finishing, I thoroughly test fired the pistol, so that Shannon could dial in the front sight height, and perfect the feeding and ejection behavior. Once the pistol was dialed in perfectly, Shannon did the serrated ramp, and the hole for the white epoxy, on the front sight, and dehorned everything (he even contoured the front sight dovetail to the slide round, though I didn't ask him to). Then, I blasted everything with glass beads. I took in everything but the barrel, the extractor, and the lockwork for Melonite QPQ. Those, I coated with satin black KG Gun Kote High PTFE. When the parts came back from Melonizing, Shannon put it all back together, tweaked the trigger to right at 4#, and dropped a nice titanium white epoxy dot into the hole in the front sight. The grips in the photos are black G10, and were made by my friend Dick Atkinson. I fitted them to the pistol, and dehorned them around all the edges, so that they seem like the grew there. The damned thing is as close to perfect as I've seen, and I've seen a lot of supposedly high end 1911 work. Shannon's the man.