Let me run some ideas past you. Possible changes to TGO.

TGO David

I like the ideas, esp reputation instead of post count.

Every system has its flaws though. Reputation allows someone to put a negative tick on someone else for personal reasons, not because of a specific post, and I have already seen a few places where 2 folks get into it because they dislike each other more than because of the topic at hand. There may have to be limits on reputation granted/removed somehow.

SME are a good idea as well --- however the implication from the initial post is that anyone not a SME is ignorant, not sure how that will play out. There is a middle ground between the expert and novice which this system does not account for. Perhaps this should be a tiered thing, rather than binary, in the long term.

Quality of info is a great concept, however you choose to implement it. I know I have found my share of bad info on the web & learned the hard way a few times, and any way others can be spared that sort of thing is great.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm the odd man out here, but I like the post count. When buying, selling, or trading on a forum, a high post count is a pretty good indication that the person isn't likely to screw you on the deal. A low post count doesn't necessarially translate into a bad trade, but the higher post count does give an indication of their stability on the site.

If the moderators you currently have are in charge of the reputation point system, I can see a glaring problem arising with one in particular. You DID ask for opinions, right?

I guess I'm the odd man out here, but I like the post count. When buying, selling, or trading on a forum, a high post count is a pretty good indication that the person isn't likely to screw you on the deal. A low post count doesn't necessarially translate into a bad trade, but the higher post count does give an indication of their stability on the site.

If the moderators you currently have are in charge of the reputation point system, I can see a glaring problem arising with one in particular. You DID ask for opinions, right?

All you Christians are going down!

David, You may be overthinking things just a bit, especially in regards to SME's. So here is my opinion, take it as you will.

I personally like post counts as it gives some idication of who you are dealing with. Yes, many like to post just for some immature need to be the loudest kid in class, that often has nothing to do with post count, but it does drive it up and newbies might see that and assume them an expert. I personally find them useful as it does not take long to weed out the blow-hards from those who have something worthy to say, especially regarding technical issues. It is also very useful in the classifieds. I, and I think many others, are leery of people who have contributed nothing and all of a sudden start selling with little to no information on the goods and generally, asking suspicious questions.

On more than one occasion the community has ferreted out suspicious people based on post count.

As far as SME's go, it sounds like a good idea however, you may find it difficult to appoint true "experts" to anything tecnically related, especially if the selection critia is based on "real world resumes". By that I assume if you work in a gun store you are an expert since that it "resume" material. Just because someone works at a car dealer does not make them knowledable on every current make or model, not to mention used ones. Gauging experience and knowledge is a hard thing and I'm afraid that the wrong people will have the final say-so based on their own subjectivity or lack of experience. Everyone has an opinion, often overlooking objectivity, especially when it comes to guns. I say it is up to the members to decide who is full of poo or not.

I was always under the assumption that moderators where essentially SME's for their own forums, so don't we already have that?

Are you familiar with Experts Exchange, assume you are being in the bidness and all, where answers to technical IT questions are ranked, an accepted answer is chosen, and the thread is closed. Maybe something similar would get people's questions answered, and keep others from interjecting any more uneeded, or reworded information. Then again, alot of what goes on around here is too subjective so there never really is a right answer.

If you start ranking users, somebody's gonna get their panties in a wad and start complaining to you.

So my question to you is do you want to make your life more difficult when it comes to management of this great place?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Edited by Garufa

Post counts are useless but like said, I don't wanna buy a gun from someone who signed up yesterday. It's just an added feel good measure, yanno.

SME I do not like. Honestly, I do not think that I have actually seen an expert on a forum. Usually 'that guy' that 'knows it all', are dicks and brand snobs.

You see this far too often in AR threads on any board.

Besides, I kinda like the collective discussions in advise threads. I wanna hear a broad array of opinions on what everyone has to say about things.

The rep points I have always hated on other boards. Like you proposed, I think will be good though.

Edited by strickj
As long as the place doesn't go from being a spot where there's always activity, always people willing to speak up and offer help or just an opinion on anything, and always something new and different to see/read/learn... to something that greatly resembles the far back store room of some library.... I don't much care.

As I've mentioned before, I used to spend a great deal of time on a sword-related forum... I was there when it first started, and followed it through to what I consider pretty much it's end. And honestly, what killed it, at least for me, was the owner's compulsion to try and make it more of some sort of school or online university. He was so concerned about being taken seriously academically, and by the people who have degrees and such, that he ended up gutting the heart and soul right out of the place.

Sorry, but if I want to read information by someone with half the alphabet behind his or her name, and a whole host of accreditations to point at... I'll just go to the library.

Anyway, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I come here for the people, as much as the information. To me, they're the most important part of the whole place.

Besides, professors and other "experts" have a tendency to be over-stuffed dicks who're much too impressed with themselves...

I agree. I spend more time in the off topic arena than I do the other due to friends and conversations on there that I do enjoy, many are still somewhat gun related. I post more on the off topic side, concealed carry and politics, especially when the State of TN is involved. I just enjoy talking about the current events. Many of this site have helped me in more than just gun questions. Hopefully, I have helped some along the way. I do read more of the gun related threads but I pick and choose, lots of good information but man, i could spend waaay tooo much time on them.

The reputation system is a bit scary to me. If you have a "friendly" discussion with someone and things to do get a little heated, you are new and the other is not, would there be potential of that person and their "friends" which might be internet and personal, be able to all give this person a bad rep, over their buddy being being butt hurt for being called out on something?

I don't mind the post count either, a low post count, to ME, doesn't discount a person opinion, it just puts a bit of caution in my mind until I read more of what they post. The high post counts are the gods of the board.....err I mean, they get more consideration, but not a fee pass!

What ever happens, I have no worries, you have been successful at so far and for the most part, the ones have left, should have.

the SME idea is alright, I just have a fear of some that could become a Search Nazi, seems like tech boards are full of those..., or critical when a newbie asks a elementary question. If that is managed, then seems like it will work out great. For example, I've seen Fallguy answer and answer, and quote and quote, the same TCA code for the same question numerous times, he is very patient, and never comes across badly. However, not all (most) have the temperament and personality as Fallyguy.

Edited by db99wj
added "most"
However, not all have the temperament and personality as Fallyguy.

I'm yo' huckleberry... :)

I always wondered how fast this place would empty out if y'all came in one day and saw "Moderator" under my name. :lol::D

I see where you are coming from on this. I have two people on here that if I have a question in regards to their area of expertise then I hit them up with a PM. I put my trust in them based on my history with the site and their posts, but a noob doesn't have this luxury.

Something we did in the Hunting forum is Sticky a thread related to taxidermy. We have a resident TGO member who knows more about the art of taxidermy then the majority of folks and he gave us a wealth of information. So if someone is lurking around and they stumble into our little Hunting section on of the first threads is filled with useful information concerning taxidermy, and any noob that has any sense that reads that sticky should decipher that "wd-40" is an expert in that field.

Not sure that method would work everywhere, but in has worked so far in the hunting forum.

Your board do what you want

Here is a so called EXPERT that stated on a few Gun Boards that Kimbers had MIM Barrels .Kimber frames, slides, barrels are MIM per a Master pistolsmith!!!

Kimber frames, slides, barrels are MIM per a Master pistolsmith!!! - Glock Talk

joe_camp_perry.jpg

Joe Chambers

Another Expert who should learn how to shoot under pressure

top-shot_mike-seeklander_thumb.jpg

He talked a good tune on the show

Full Name: Mike Seeklander

Hometown: Owasso, OK

A semi-professional shooter, Mike has spent decades training for an all-around competition like this. Mike is the COO and a senior instructor at the United States Shooting Academy. He served as a former Marine, U.S. Federal Air Marshal and firearm instructor for the Federal Air Marshal training division, police officer, and finally a senior instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. The semi-pro shooter has competed extensively on the practical handgun shooting circuit and has also shot competitively with small bore and high-powered rifles, as well as compound bows.

Top Shot — Elimination Interviews — History.com Videos

Another Expert

Ben Bernanke

225px-Ben_Bernanke_official_portrait.jpg

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I have no problem with doing away with seeing anyones Post Count and take Reputation Points as a fair trade. SME's is a very cool idea David! Great plan!

Guest bkelm18
Post counts are useless but like said, I don't wanna buy a gun from someone who signed up yesterday. It's just an added feel good measure, yanno.

SME I do not like. Honestly, I do not think that I have actually seen an expert on a forum. Usually 'that guy' that 'knows it all', are dicks and brand snobs.

You see this far too often in AR threads on any board.

Besides, I kinda like the collective discussions in advise threads. I wanna hear a broad array of opinions on what everyone has to say about things.

The rep points I have always hated on other boards. Like you proposed, I think will be good though.

There are certainly people here that know a great deal about their respective areas. I don't think anyone would disagree that Joe (Hero Gear) is a very knowledgeable person in several areas. Maybe the "Expert" title shouldn't be displayed in the normal forum, but only within a special "Expert" forum where it is understood that you are asking a question and are expecting a response from a knowledgeable person. Obviously the title wouldn't be given to just anyone, but to people who have established themselves as such. On the flip side, it could certainly lead to elitism and snobbishness where if you are not branded as an expert, your opinion wouldn't mean anything.

Experts: GT has done this, and has some pretty reputable ones at that. Their Go Ask The Experts section seems to be largely ignored. You could have SMEs roaming the boards, but they would really need to be willing to share their real names and true credentials in order to be trusted by new members.

Post Count: meh. It could be a benefit if you think you have members that post just to get their count up. I've seen it done on other boards and it doesnt seem to reduce the BS at all. Consider eliminating join date too, if you really want people to be judged by the content of their post and not the length of time they have been on the interweb.

Reputation points: honestly, I've never seen this work well. It gets used as a popularity contest and the little cliques start teaming up on people they don't like. It always gets catty and childish and, IMHO, seems to raise the bs factor.

Guy N. summed it up pretty well for me. All your points have merit; and it is your organization. But...I'll go out on a limb here and add one more comment; how about the fun factor--the enjoyment derived from the board and it's membership. I orginally came here to learn a little, meet some good people, and generally have a pleasant time.

Being educated and gathering information is a wonderful thing...but don't take all the pleasure out.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Could always use iTrader vBulletin as a way to show a user's buy/sell/trade reputation. I've seen it used on http://jeepgarage.org, but they are running vBulletin 3.8.3

Edited by StreetWK05
Being educated and gathering information is a wonderful thing...but don't take all the pleasure out.

Yes! This above all else.

I mean, think about it... if people don't have a good time here, they might as well work and do their jobs or something. :)