True Grit 2010: Rest easy Duke.

Will Carry

:) When I heard that the Coen brothers were going to do a remake of True Grit, I got excited . I thought the Coen brothers had seen something lacking in the original 1969 classic or that they had some new twist. I thought this movie was going to be great. Maybe it would spur Hollywood to start making westerns again. I was very disappointed. There are so many great stories about the old west that have never been told, stories that would make a great western, but they had to remake True Grit?

Now Jeff Bridges is a great actor, better than John Wayne by far but John Wayne IS Rooster Cogburn. Jeff Bridges is just a great actor. In 1969, when Rooster Cogburn put his reigns in his teeth and said "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!", the crowd cheered! In the 2010 version, the crowd was looking for the exits. The Coen brothers did nothing to improve True Grit. Rest easy Duke.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to ask if you have read the original Charles Portis book? While the John Wayne movie is excellent entertainment, it is NOT a good movie adaptation of the book. The book is pretty dark, and Rooster Cogburn is NOT a likeable fellow. He treats Mattie like a spoiled daughter in need of a serious lesson in reality. And the book is about how she gets that lesson. I understand that the new movie with Jeff Bridges is a very close adaptation of the book. I am looking forward to seeing it soon in a couple of weeks and will be able to report if it stays true to the book.

I started to get the book over Christmas and didn't. Don't let my opinion spoil the movie. My wife thought it was great! I guess my main problem was that I expected another Unforgiven or Lonesome Dove. The critics think it's a great movie and many of my friends do to. Hopefully this may be the start of a comeback for western movies.

Is That a MP-38 in your avatar? Mt brother-in-law traded a German farmer two 1911s for an MP-38 he found in his field during the war. My brother-in-law bought it back to Tennessee and tried to get a judge he knew to give him a permit for it. The judge wouldn't do it so he sold it to a collector........

I loved the new True Grit. It was witty and had some great acting. Not only from Jeff but the girl playing Mattie was excellent. Great movie. Agreed it's no John Wayne movie, but thats part of the appeal. The old movies were kind of cheesy with the screenplay and acting. This was much more realistic.

I loved the new True Grit. It was witty and had some great acting. Not only from Jeff but the girl playing Mattie was excellent. Great movie. Agreed it's no John Wayne movie, but thats part of the appeal. The old movies were kind of cheesy with the screenplay and acting. This was much more realistic.

I agree.

The original is my favorite John Wayne movie, but I love the remake. To me it's a different movie with similar scenes. I also don't agree John Wayne is Rooster. I think Rooster was John Wayne in the original. Someone said in the other thread that John Wayne always played John Wayne and that's very true. It was just what people wanted to see.

I'm guessing I'll be banned for this, but I can't imagine any remake could be worse than JW's original - he had a great presence but was a terrible actor, imo...

Nice knowing you guys.

LMFAO I don't know what's better this post or WWM's response lmao

Edited by Punisher84
:shrug: When I heard that the Coen brothers were going to do a remake of True Grit, I got excited . I thought the Coen brothers had seen something lacking in the original 1969 classic or that they had some new twist. I thought this movie was going to be great. Maybe it would spur Hollywood to start making westerns again. I was very disappointed. There are so many great stories about the old west that have never been told, stories that would make a great western, but they had to remake True Grit?

Now Jeff Bridges is a great actor, better than John Wayne by far but John Wayne IS Rooster Cogburn. Jeff Bridges is just a great actor. In 1969, when Rooster Cogburn put his reigns in his teeth and said "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!", the crowd cheered! In the 2010 version, the crowd was looking for the exits. The Coen brothers did nothing to improve True Grit. Rest easy Duke.

This is heresy I say!

What I want to know about it is, is there anything in it that's inappropriate for 9- and 11-year olds?
A few fingers chopped off, people being shot in the head & various other places, a group hanging. Up to you.

Yeah depends on your standards, those scenes are pretty graphic, plus some SOB & GD's throughout. For me 11 is ok, 9 might be pushing it but depends on the kid and how skittish they are.

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Stupid auto correct
Is That a MP-38 in your avatar? Mt brother-in-law traded a German farmer two 1911s for an MP-38 he found in his field during the war. My brother-in-law bought it back to Tennessee and tried to get a judge he knew to give him a permit for it. The judge wouldn't do it so he sold it to a collector........

Swedish K. I had an MP40 years ago but lost it when I got divorced. Along with a STEn, M1A1 Thompson and lots of other toys. It was still worth it!

It looks like I won't be able to see this movie until next weekend. I'm looking forward to it though!