Moving my Gun Safe

willis68

I have an extremely heavy Gun Safe, over 800 Pounds, I am in the process of moving it will need to be moved from my current house's garage to my new home on the other side of Mount Juliet, My wife has agreed to let my safe live in our new bedroom with the condition that our beautiful hard wood floors are not damaged in the process.

If any of you are Experienced and Professional Gun Safe movers I will pay extremely well for this service, PM me if you would like :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably don't want my help. The last safe I moved, I dropped it on my wife's foot and broke all her toes on that foot. You can move one around easily by yourself with a heavy duty handtruck/dolly. Getting on and off the moving truck is the trick.

Let me know how you make out.

If you put plywood down you wont mar any tile or

hardwood. Movers recommend that.

I have to move a 1000 lb safe.

I don't think I want to do it myself either.

Good luck.

Will do, I have moved this sucker 3 times in the past and that is why I am paying for this to be done, I left a message with the Safe House to see if they will do it,

I have an extremely heavy Gun Safe, over 800 Pounds, I am in the process of moving it will need to be moved from my current house's garage to my new home on the other side of Mount Juliet, My wife has agreed to let my safe live in our new bedroom with the condition that our beautiful hard wood floors are not damaged in the process.

If any of you are Experienced and Professional Gun Safe movers I will pay extremely well for this service, PM me if you would like ;)

I don't know but I'll hold yer 1911's for ya during the transition.

This is going to be an interesting thread to watch. I am starting to look for a gun safe and my concerns is wil my floor even hold it. I am considering putting block under the floor where the safe is going to go before getting it. Still a bit concerned bringing it in.

Call The Safe House. I bought mine there and me and three friends thought we would be able to move it in the house and up the steps.

We were wrong. It weighs 830 pounds and we did not come close to getting the job done. The guy from the Safe House came over and

moved it alone. He did have a motorized dolly but he did a great job.

By all means hve a pro move it for you. I have moved my own safe, with help, when I was younger; but now the body is older and weaker, the mind is stupidly saying you can still do it anyway. But the Safe, Smart thing to do is let a pro do it. No hurt floors, door frams and jams, or broken body parts.

Be sure the floor in the new place is up to the task. Typical residential subfloor load capacity is 20 lb/sqft dead load. An 800lb safe that's 2ftx4ft is 100lb/sqft. Significant reinforcement is required.

If your safe sits on "feet" they'll likely crush the hardwood over time. You'd need some sort of base plate to distribute the load. The garage is a much better location for something so heavy.

Back when I was 20 and weighed 150lbs, I would have thought, "you weenie!, man up, if the Egyptians could build the pyramids surely you can move a 800lb safe!", and if were mine I would have moved it.

Now, at 42 and weighing 170, I'd most likely hire it out also. :D

My brother called in a tow truck to move his from his garage to his new house also in that garage. they cant help you in the bedroom, but if anyone else has a move similar, maybe it will help. he alsop knew the towtruck driver, so i'm sure it was discounted and may be why he chose this route

willis

Mark and crew will do a fine job. My safe weighs 1,470 lbs. Two of them moved it in without damaging a thing. If you can get access the crawl space / basement under you bedroom I recommend adjustable floor jacks. Concrete base plates + 6x6s spanning joists and 4 floor jacks worked great for me. Nice and solid.