Poolee with a High and Tight??

Guest Grudgie

Guest Grudgie

So once I got back from MEPS, my recruiter told me that because I am now officially representing the Marine Corps I must have a regulated haircut. He told me to have a high and tight the next time he saw me.

My question is who am I going to be upsetting? I know some of the more aggressive Marines would be in a fuss if a poolee was running around with such a historical haircut.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halfpint

My recruiter told me to be presentable-- not shaggy, no facial hair, etc. I'd be cautious about the high and tight, because if you have one when you get to the Island, you will definitely catch the Drill Instructors' attention.

On second though, yeah, do that.

When do you ship out, poolee?

• Administrator

In 1991 I was told to keep my hair presentable. Short, neat, above the ears. The SSGT warned me not to show up with my hair high and tight or shaved because that would just draw unwanted attention from the Instructors and piss off the barbers. At which point they would find new ways to make me miserable.

You also don't want to hop off of the bus wearing Marines anything. Including the spiffy gray PT shirt that your recruiter may or may not have given you.

On second thought... scratch all of that. :rolleyes:

Guest mustangdave

I was in the Navy...don't know what to advise a future Marine...well maybe...don't sass your DI...you don't wanna be in the HURT LOCKER...other than that...you're pretty much fair game

You guys are so mean. Everyone knows the best way to impress someone on the first day on the job is to show up and look like you know what you're doing. That goes double for the Marines. So go get that high and tight, wear that "Marines" T-shirt that's 2 sizes too small, and pick up some of the latest digital camo pants and some combat boots for the ride on the bus. You'll be showing your DI that you're ready to go! Oh. I almost forgot. Be sure to get your eagle-globe-n-anchor tatoo before you go. Those ink shops just outside the gate will charge you a fortune. Best to get it done now on the cheap. :D

Guest KimberChick
You guys are so mean. Everyone knows the best way to impress someone on the first day on the job is to show up and look like you know what you're doing. That goes double for the Marines. So go get that high and tight, wear that "Marines" T-shirt that's 2 sizes too small, and pick up some of the latest digital camo pants and some combat boots for the ride on the bus. You'll be showing your DI that you're ready to go! Oh. I almost forgot. Be sure to get your eagle-globe-n-anchor tatoo before you go. Those ink shops just outside the gate will charge you a fortune. Best to get it done now on the cheap. :D

+1

These current/former Marines just want to get this poor kid "the thing formerly known as hazed" for his entire time on the Island.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about. :D

Marine DI's don't care one bit what you look like when you arrive at Recruit Depot. Within a very short period of time after your arrival you are going to be just like everybody else: bald ,camouflaged and scared s***less!

They aren't going to care where you came from, what you did, how much money your daddy had or what kind of house you lived in. You are and will always be what you show them you are while under their watch. It is the one chance you get to start all over again. You can be as tough and as good as you want to be, just do it and show them.

You can show up in a dress and long hair. They are going to take you the same as any other maggot and make you a Marine. They have been doing it for over two hundred years and they have it down to a science!

How do I know? Thirty years active duty in the USMC. 2 on the drill field and 4 in recruiting. The rest in combat or getting ready for combat.

MGySgt of Marines

I still say the way to inpress your DI is to show up with a "motto" tat..................................yeah..that's the ticket.

Other than that, I'll keep my mouth shut....I think I ripped the poolee enough on the other Marine related thread......I never wanted to be a hat.

Guest mustangdave
Marine DI's don't care one bit what you look like when you arrive at Recruit Depot. Within a very short period of time after your arrival you are going to be just like everybody else: bald ,camouflaged and scared s***less!

They aren't going to care where you came from, what you did, how much money your daddy had or what kind of house you lived in. You are and will always be what you show them you are while under their watch. It is the one chance you get to start all over again. You can be as tough and as good as you want to be, just do it and show them.

You can show up in a dress and long hair. They are going to take you the same as any other maggot and make you a Marine. They have been doing it for over two hundred years and they have it down to a science!

How do I know? Thirty years active duty in the USMC. 2 on the drill field and 4 in recruiting. The rest in combat or getting ready for combat.

MGySgt of Marines

You nailed it...and Semper Fi from a retired Gator Sailor

Guest ARMEDMARINE
wjh2657 said it exactly right. Quit worrying about what your going to like like when you show up. That is the least of your worries. Just ensure you are in shape and know that it will be a long 13 weeks. At least you have chosen to serve. Many, Many people cannot say that.