Why did you start carrying?

My neighbor was shot in front of my house in 1993. I saved his life, packed up the wife the next week and moved out of there. I got my permit shortly thereafter and have carried everywhere all the time ever since. Now that I am responsible for the care and feeding of two more people, I take personal security very seriously.

Guest .45packer

I live in Wilson County and gang activity is increasing. They did a sting last year and arrested over 125 gang members in this county. Enough to make me want to be prepared, sort of like car insurance, you never know when you'll need it.

Guest kirkosaurus

In the late 90's I waited tables at a restaurant. One night 3 masked men busted through a glass window after closing, held everyone down on the floor with guns to our heads and took wallets, purses, tip money and money out of the register that was being counted at the end of the bar. They also demanded we open the safe. The manager was the only one who could get in the safe and she had bolted outside as soon as the window broke and was calling 911 on the payphone across the street. I thought we were all toast but they left within a few minutes of us trying to explain we couldn't get in the safe.

2003 I picked up a part time job delivering pizza's for Papa John's. One night I delivered to a basement apartment that turned out to be vacant. 2 armed thugs jumped out from under the stairwell and one put a gun in my back and robbed me.

After that it was time for a carry permit.

I deal with lots of drug addicts, mentally unstable people, and ocassionally violent offenders in my work. I've been to some of their homes an ocassionally I represent the folks who are taking their children away from them. I used to laugh off threats or intimidation at first, but I take them more seriously now that I have a family. Sometimes even your run-of the-mill divorce can get pretty ugly. I had one incident in particular with a former client that I can't go into on a public forum. My wife who was formerly anti-gun (and still won't touch one), actually urged me to get my permit. Around the time I got my permit, I realized that there are lots of lawyers carrying, but many never speak of it. A collegue of mine recently told me about a tragic event in another state. Her relative, also a lawyer, was invovled in a case as a court appointed guardian for a child in a civil abuse/neglect case. Basically his job was to investigate a little and side with either the the petitioner (relative or the state through the department of children's services) or the respondent (alleged negligent or abusive parent) and make a recommedation to the Judge. My private-pay clients have really increased, so I don't do as much court appointed work as I used to, but I have done many more of those cases than I can remember. Anyway, the lawyer goes to court,makes his recommendation and gets shot several times in his office soon after..

He was fortunate to survive and suffers from paralysis.

As I said, I was already carrying when this happened, but that incident and others keep me armed and remind me I need to make time to do some more training.

Edited by JReedEsq

I read these stories and it makes me feel guilty for not carrying whenever I can, especially now that I have 2 young kids to look after.

I got my permit during the previous presidential race. I wanted one anyway, but (unfounded) fears surrounding what might have happened prompted me to get on with it.

Guest rebeldrummer

*UPDATE* Just ANOTHER reason to carry....my father is a contractor. he has several sub's he has used on every house for the last 7 years. I also used his subs to work on my house. The plumber's right hand man, guy we have known for a long time, worked with alot ((who also did the plumbing in my new house 8 months ago!!)) just shot and killed his wife last night! This man was in my house several times...around my family. around me. He seemed so nice too....story is he just snapped. Now, we will prob never know the whole story?? but still....

Guest Guy N. Cognito

In 1996 I had to use my firearm in a home-based self defense situation. My attacker survived, but was sent to jail for many years. While he wasn't a gang member, his family and friends made numerous threats against me, including some in court. A MPD Sargent very bluntly told me that the police had no obligation to protect me and suggested I get my permit.

In 1996 I had to use my firearm in a home-based self defense situation. My attacker survived, but was sent to jail for many years. While he wasn't a gang member, his family and friends made numerous threats against me, including some in court. A MPD Sargent very bluntly told me that the police had no obligation to protect me and suggested I get my permit.

best reason so far... you must not have used a .45 or the guy would have been blown into 10 pieces.....at least according to the "experts" ;)

Guest Guy N. Cognito
best reason so far... you must not have used a .45 or the guy would have been blown into 10 pieces.....at least according to the "experts" ;)

Modern medicine is an amazing thing. Ambulance arrived almost immediately and he got the best medical attention our tax dollars could provide.

And, you're right, it was a 9mm. ;)

I've been around guns (hunting and shooting for the fun of it) virtually all my life...my father gave me a little single-shot .410 shotgun when I was barely big enough to hold it and fire it. Being in the Navy for eight years didn't hurt my interest either. ;) However, that's not why I carry.

Many years ago (about 1991 to be more precise), I lived in the downtown area of a large city (million+ population). The refurbished house I lived in was built in 1864 and was literally three blocks from the state capitol. Unfortunately, one street over from the block I lived on was the most crime-ridden area of the city. So…I always tried to be aware of my surroundings. At that time, carrying a firearm on your person simply wasn’t done much – “permits†were almost impossible to come by.

My parking was in a fairly secluded and small paved area just off the ally behind the house. My brother, who was visiting, and I were just returning to my place after having been to the local indoor range for some shooting – that and that alone was the only reason we had weapons with us and between us, we had quite a few. As I pulled into park and was getting out of the vehicle, three people “of color†approached and asked me if I knew the time…seeing the guy had a watch on his arm my keen senses kicked into gear and I decided this guy wanted more than the time of day.

Luckily, just as these guys had walked up, both my brother and I were grabbing our weapons out of the vehicle…my brother, who was on the passenger side of the vehicle and not easily visible to the three “time seekers†loaded his 1911 and I had my Cold Double Eagle (10 MM) in my hand sans ammo. I saw the eyes of the guy who has asked for the time glance down at my Colt and then look through the door to see my brother on the other side, gun in hand…he didn’t say another word…just turned around and he and his two buddies made a hasty exit.

What these guys had in mind I’ll never know; just as they’ll never know that my weapon was unloaded. But…there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that simply by letting a weapon be seen, my brother and I avoided at least being robbed and maybe worse.

Too late to make a long story short but ever since that time, anywhere I could legally be armed I’ve been armed and that’s why I carry today.

Worked not so nice area and would frequently have to pull 12 and 14 hour days sometimes. When the

law was passed I excited at the chance to legally carry. By the time I had money for the then "Bond" requirement

(back the) it had just been done away with. Found a class and went.

My Dad had carried for years (illegally) while I was growing up.

Modern medicine is an amazing thing. Ambulance arrived almost immediately and he got the best medical attention our tax dollars could provide.

And, you're right, it was a 9mm. ;)

he's a lucky bastard. So, is it true what they say about auditory exclusion? Most people don't even hear the shots.

*UPDATE* Just ANOTHER reason to carry....my father is a contractor. he has several sub's he has used on every house for the last 7 years. I also used his subs to work on my house. The plumber's right hand man, guy we have known for a long time, worked with alot ((who also did the plumbing in my new house 8 months ago!!)) just shot and killed his wife last night! This man was in my house several times...around my family. around me. He seemed so nice too....story is he just snapped. Now, we will prob never know the whole story?? but still....

Wow,

I notice you are from E. Tn. Mind me asking where?

My Dad and Step-Dad carried and I always had guns growing up. Getting a permit for me just seemed normal at 21, I viewed it the same as getting a driver's license at 16. I've been really glad several times I've had it. I've been fortunate enough to never have to actually fire, but I know the need to carry is there and that's been proven to me twice.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
he's a lucky bastard. So, is it true what they say about auditory exclusion? Most people don't even hear the shots.

I remember hearing them like they were in the distance. I did note that my ears were ringing after the adrenalin wore off.

I was given a handgun to carry with me or keep in my glovebox/console when I traveled for protection when I was 18. Other men in my family and friends did the same thing, so I thought it was normal. I was legal carrying the handgun in Arkansas that way but sometimes not legal in other states at the time. For various reasons I wanted to carry a handgun more on my person and also get legal to avoid being fined, so got a concealed handgun license from the state police in AR. Later moved to TN and now working for myself and keep a gun on me pretty much all the time due to self employment/out seeing clients in town or traveling on the road. Memphis is not a place I care to go without a handgun.

Guest TheMikeLurie

Three homes in my neighborhood were broken in to and robbed by armed intruders within the span of a month.

The following month I got my Carry Permit and a Pitbull. I hope for their sake, they don't come back.

The pitbull is the sweetest dog on Earth by the way. At least with his own family. The Sig Sauer isn't so friendly.

Three homes in my neighborhood were broken in to and robbed by armed intruders within the span of a month.

The following month I got my Carry Permit and a Pitbull. I hope for their sake, they don't come back.

The pitbull is the sweetest dog on Earth by the way. At least with his own family. The Sig Sauer isn't so friendly.

sigs are bad like that. LOL.

I've always known that bad things happen to good people, even in "nice" parts of town. When a couple of BG's kicked in my mother-in-law's door, robbed her, and held her in an execution pose with a gun to the back of her head before finally fleeing, I decided it was time to quit thinking about gertting a gun for the house and actually doing it. An HCP was just an extension of ownership. Mrs. 'lizard got hers at the same time.

I lived in Memphis when I turned 21.........need I say more? My wife had her permit for a long time, but never really carried it until a guy in a Franklin Kroger was looking at her wierd in the produce section. She quickly got what she needed and moved to a different part of the store and the guy followed her. He aproached her and asked for a cigarette. She said she didn't smoke and then he called her a few choice words. She was walking to the car wishing she had a firearm. The next day she let me buy her a Ruger LCR. She doesn't carry as often as I would like, but it's better now than it used to be.

Guest GLOCKGUY

I started carrying 14 years ago because I was doing a job in Ga. down by Six Flags and I went to an ATM late one night and took out some money when I turned around I had a knife pointed at me and a guy telling me to give him my money. After that night I said that will never happen again with me being unarmed. I got my carry permit soon after that. :)

Guest trumpettgriffin

I took my HCP training course with my Dad on my 21st b-day. Not because I felt the need or desire to carry but because he invited me and it sounded like a fun day with Pop. It was.

I never followed up and applied for HCP - just let the time go by. I did buy a home defense firearm at this time.

About two years ago, with the economy in desperate shape and me now having children (my two "why?" answers) I initiated the process. I actually invited my Dad and a friend out for another fun day of class and training --another great day. I started once permit was granted.