Why did you start carrying?

Rag Head is a term used by GI"s also called camel jockeys, towel head,sand monkeys , haji ,muslim terrorist or just any of them trying to kill you. that said not all of them all bad but it sure is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones.

I got my permit because my nunchuck skills were starting to fade.
:taunt:

I got my permit because I want to be able to walk around state parks with my AK47 pistol slung over my shoulder.

Actually, the simple reason is, I live in Memphis. One day, some years ago, i realized how much crime there really is here.

My wife and myself were riding 4wheelers in the mountains behind her parents house in townsend late one nite and a guy stepped out from behind a tree and shoved a 6in 44mag in my face. He said that somebody has been riding on his land without permission. The thing that made me mad was that we were not on his land and we had permission to ride where we were. I told the wife that nite that the next person that does that to us will not walk away.

I grew up in a rural area and riding motorcycles and 4 wheelers back in the mountains. I never had any problem with running into anyone back then. Sure I run into stranger every now and then often by myself but no big deal. Never felt I was in any danger or anything.

After I started dating my wife I wanted to take her to some places I knew and I remember feeling uncomfortable anytime we met strange people.

What I am willing to say is, I quit taking her as I did not feel comfortable as I did by myself.

Plus, it is something I meant to do 10 years ago anyways, although I go busy with work and stuff and just kept putting it off and putting it off.

Plus, I am exercising my right to do so.

I was amazed as how fast and how often I started carrying after I got my permit. At first I figured I would do the wally walk and only carry when on long trips and out 4 wheeling. I carry around Oak Ridge on short trips. If you know me and you see me out, odds are I am carrying.

Rag Head is a term used by GI"s also called camel jockeys, towel head,sand monkeys , haji ,muslim terrorist or just any of them trying to kill you. that said not all of them all bad but it sure is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones.

well good, I am glad it is not racist then. Are there names for other people of color?

• Like 1

I work for family in an area that's very much off the beaten path. Police response time isn't the greatest - we're easily 15 minutes from town and not patrolled much. I figure if a situation presents itself, it's up to me to protect myself and my employees. Being in an isolated area had plenty of impact on my decision to carry, but as much as anything is the rise in crime and the boldness in which crimes are committed in today's world. The day my permit arrived in the mail, I had my lady bring the permit and handgun to me at lunch time. I refuse to be a victim and reject the possibility of being without OPTIONS in an unfriendly situation.

I have my permit because I can. Between my employer and the city of Nashville, I can rarely carry. When I can, I do. At least it makes my range trips easier.

Similar for me. I decided to get the permit last year. Wife has had hers since 1996, but I never felt the need. What with the economy and long term unemployment being the way they were, I felt we might be entering into more uncertain times ahead, so I went ahead and got the permit.

But between my employer and many shops / malls / restaurants not allowing carry, I rarely carry. Seems the government just outsourced gun control to private businesses.

But between my employer and many shops / malls / restaurants not allowing carry, I rarely carry. Seems the government just outsourced gun control to private businesses.

I'd be re-thinking my priorities man. Lots of places post, lots of places don't. Go to the other ones.

I started carrying because I did HVAC service and installation often in high crime areas of Nashville back in the 90's. But also, and I think it's true for many of us here that there are personal beliefs and principals about the Constitution, Bill Of Rights, and Individual rights that makes us want to carry, (simply exercising our 2nd Amendment rights). It's making a political statement showing that we value the traditional and true American principals and attitudes shared and valued by our founding fathers. And also the self defense aspect of carrying a firearm.

Guest rebeldrummer
well good, I am glad it is not racist then. Are there names for other people of color?

really?? .... is this a serious question?

let me indulge you just in case..

red - usually the mad, or hot race

blue - usually the choking, or frozen race

white - the scared race, or the "sun-shunners"

orange - the "too much spray on tan" race

black - originated same as the blue race, however moved to colder temps, aka the frost bitten race

brown - the "we walk around naked in the summer" race...

am i missing any Mike?? Good question....

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Actually, the simple reason is, I live in Memphis. One day, some years ago, i realized how much crime there really is here.

Memphis.

THIS. Or, more accurately, THESE. You can only do so much to try to avoid the "bad" areas around here. Maybe it's the same everywhere, but it sure seems that the good and bad areas really blend into one another. Million dollar homes a stone's throw away from housing projects and all that. Never hurts to have another tool on the belt.

I read the paper and watch the news.. When my quiet neighborhood south of Nashville started having 'gang incidents' and arson fires I decided to take on the responsibility to protect my family, at home or away. Since then its only gotten worse - 3 of 4 surrounding houses have been broken into and robbed, drug dealers have been arrested around the corner, and groups of 'youths' often cruise the streets hassling and threatening the smaller kids who live there. I keep odd work hours, and often have to drive through some pretty scary parts of town in the middle of the night. I feel much safer knowing I can protect myself and my family.

i am not racist one bit, but after 21 years in the army i have not been around many of them i trust or like. when you have someone shooting at you or trying to kill you any way they can you get a dis-like for them. most of the middle eastern people i have met back in the united states are different than the ones in the sand box. can i get along with then ,yes but i all so have no problems with putting them in the ground and kicking dirt over them. it come from you had to have been there to see most gi's point of view.my hearing is bad and i have a couple of extra scar's on my head and some memory loss from a mortor round going off next to me.

Edited by dou44
i am not racist one bit, but after 21 years in the army i have not been around many of them i trust or like. when you have someone shooting at you or trying to kill you any way they can you get a dis-like for them. most of the middle eastern people i have met back in the united states are different than the ones in the sand box. can i get along with then ,yes but i all so have no problems with putting them in the ground and kicking dirt over them. it come from you had to have been there to see most gi's point of view.my hearing is bad and i have a couple of extra scar's on my head and some memory loss from a mortor round going off next to me.

One thing is for certain, having bullets (or motor shells) come AT you will give you a different perspective on life.

my wife gets on to me sometimes because i will spout off about things ,but i do try to keep it to my self most of the time.i will go out of my way to help someone out if i can and try to just enjoy life.

That's what wives are for. Mine still does after 33 years.