AR-15 Pistol

Westwindmike

I was just wondering if anyone here has an AR Pistol? I've wanted one for several years, and just decided it was time to get one/build one. I know they are not practical for much. That the muzzle blast and flame are horrendous. I just thought it would make a fun gun to scope and shoot off a bench at 100 yards. I reload, so I can tailor the ammo to work well in the short barrel.

Any opinions? Am I crazy for selling a full size AR to fund a toy like this?

I like this one, but with no sights.

CIMG0690.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real easy to put together. Buy a part here, there and build it on the installment plan. Lowers are cheap.

Get a virgin lower and start on it. The rest of the parts are plentiful.

I have built a pistol lower, but have yet to decide what to do on my upper. I can't decide whether to buy one already put together, or part it out and build one.

I already have four AR rifles, so I thought a pistol AR would be cool to have. Just something to have fun with at the range.

Correct, a virgin lower is considered "other" until you make it a pistol or rifle, so you must be 21 to buy one now legally because it can be a pistol in its current form.

I have a Keltec PLR-16 piston driven AR pistol. It doesn't break the bank at $450, has a shorter OAL without an awkward pistol tube, and has a bit longer barrel than avg AR pistols. It serves it's purpose as a fun toy, Congressional "Assault rifle" ban hedge fund, and zombie annihilator.

Yes, I have a Keltec PLR-16 and, it is the bees knees! A handgun, I can have it in the seat next to me in my truck. Ani't a darn thing officer Oppey can do about it.

It has a red dot mounted on top, a bipod underneath and so help me, shoots about as accurate as my Colt 16" HBAR!

When I showed it to my buddies who just aquired AR rifles, they swore that they are going to get one.

Mine is reliable and would be one of the last guns I would sell. As for the ballistics......it is loaded with Hornady Tap which solves the velocity problem out of a short barrel AR.

A great gun.

ETA: I would not fool with the Bushmaster junk...with the recoil spring sticking out the back, you are about as large as an M4. Plus the PLR is about $500. How much Bushy can you buy for $500? Not even half of one.

Edited by TnEngineer

My buddy had an Olympic Arms AR pistol without the buffer tube and blew it up when he shot it with his suppressor on it. Just something else to think about if your are going to run a suppressor.

I like the buffer tube because you can use it as a improvised stock and still fire it from your shoulder. The Kel Tec and the pistols without the buffer tube you are just kind of holding them up there.

Yes, I have a Keltec PLR-16 and, it is the bees knees! A handgun, I can have it in the seat next to me in my truck. Ani't a darn thing officer Oppey can do about it.

It has a red dot mounted on top, a bipod underneath and so help me, shoots about as accurate as my Colt 16" HBAR!

When I showed it to my buddies who just aquired AR rifles, they swore that they are going to get one.

Mine is reliable and would be one of the last guns I would sell. As for the ballistics......it is loaded with Hornady Tap which solves the velocity problem out of a short barrel AR.

A great gun.

ETA: I would not fool with the Bushmaster junk...with the recoil spring sticking out the back, you are about as large as an M4. Plus the PLR is about $500. How much Bushy can you buy for $500? Not even half of one.

Officer Oppey might have your butt in a sling if you stuck a bipod/forend grip on it and cant show the paperwork for it. Make sure its legal, theres a thread on it in here and a bunch of back and forth about the topic.

Officer Oppey might have your butt in a sling if you stuck a bipod/forend grip on it and cant show the paperwork for it. Make sure its legal, theres a thread on it in here and a bunch of back and forth about the topic.

Depends on grip. Vertical is a no no. This one is okay:

PLR-16.jpg

Bipod okay. Bazillion Ruger Chargers out there, eh?

ruger-charger.jpg

- OS

A bipod such as a Harris is perfectly legal on a pistol. You see them on Ruger Chargers all the time.

A grippod is a whole other thing.

Now granted, if it is being used a a forward grip a case could be made, but you would have to pizz off the cop pretty well to do get charged with it.

Depends on grip. Vertical is a no no. This one is okay:

PLR-16.jpg

Bipod okay. Bazillion Ruger Chargers out there, eh?

ruger-charger.jpg

- OS

BTW the PLR with a 30 round mag is a great grip, someone makes a mag grip for the magpuls but cant remember who it is, regaurdless though the mag makes a great foregrip though, the 10 round clip is only good for the bench for sighting in....