Cleveland IDPA/3-GUN

Guest price g

My CCW gun is an SP101...a 5 shot revolver. It would make sense for me to train/compete with a gun that I carry so I would like to use it.

Will having a 5 shot revolver put me at an inherit disadvantage in IDPA? For example...is the course a 12 shot course that would force me to drop 2 more rounds in and index them to complete a round?

Yes, you will be at a disadvantage in IDPA, however it does make sense to practice with your carry gun. I compete with a 1911 and carry a J-frame or a Glock, but I practice every couple of weeks with my carry guns. If you are shooting IDPA for practice,by all means shoot your carry gun. And yes you would have to fire all rounds required for the course of fire, not reloading and firing the two rounds you mentioned would result in a penalty in IDPA. I run into that on 18 rd. stages with my 1911, I have to reload for 1 rd.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My CCW gun is an SP101...a 5 shot revolver. It would make sense for me to train/compete with a gun that I carry so I would like to use it.

Will having a 5 shot revolver put me at an inherit disadvantage in IDPA? For example...is the course a 12 shot course that would force me to drop 2 more rounds in and index them to complete a round?

Yes, it will severely hamper you in stages which consist of 6 round strings (most do).

I am personally eyeing the 8-shot .357mag wheelguns by Taurus and S&W, so I can foray into revolver gaming and have a good HD gun too.

Thinks guys...I was hoping that since a huge portion of folks carry S&W 42 and other 5 shot revolvers as their CC gun they would have a type of handicap in place.

Oh well...it should be fun any way. Might make it to the next match just to watch. Since I am a wheelgunner...that is the only pistol I own that isn't single action.

Yes, it will severely hamper you in stages which consist of 6 round strings (most do).

I am personally eyeing the 8-shot .357mag wheelguns by Taurus and S&W, so I can foray into revolver gaming and have a good HD gun too.

Unfortunately you may only load 6 rds. in a revolver in IDPA. I don't make the rules, but that is one of them.;)

• 1 month later...
Guest abailey362

I wasn't able to make the work day due to my work schedule, but is the exit gate working right now? did all the ants get killed?

Guest abailey362

This was my first competition of any kind and I had a ball. Did pretty well (except for the rifle stage and we got that issue fixed after the match was over.) Looking forward to the next one I can make.

Guest price g
Don't let your eyes be blinded by the new ugly yellow paint on the gate.Pong went wild with the paint brush last Sat. during the work day.:P

I belive that is DMZ yellow if I am not mistaken.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...