Lifestyle goals and accomplishments.

mav

I have contemplated doing a thread like this for quite a while.

Every now and then someone posts a thread saying they have started some new exercise program, they achieved some personal goal in an athletic event, reached a desired bodyweight, or quit smoking/drinking. Being someone who goes to the gym almost everyday, I have always enjoyed reading about someone setting a goal in the area of health and/or lifestyle change. However, it is a little dissappointing when there is no follow-up as to whether they accomplished what they set out to do.

I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where someone posts their health related goal and continues to post stating their progress. I don't know about you guys, but I find it encouraging when someone sets a goal and reaches it. It keeps me motivated to press on until my goals are achieved.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. It is finally getting warmer and more daylight, my running needs to get more consistent. I kept running all winter, but as I mentioned, not consistently. I ran Saturday 6.25 miles on some trails in Cullman, AL. Big hills, very big hills, rocky, creek crossings, etc. Wore me out! It was great. My weight will go down once I start running more consistently. Did I mention consistently, oh and hills suck, we are not use to them here in Memphis! I plan on losing 15lbs by summer.

Working out has been a sore spot for me. I really need to buckle down and take advantage of this membership I pay monthly for, but it is hard for me to find time.

I quit smoking a month ago (there is a thread somewhere about that.) So I need to finish getting myself into what I deem ideal shape.

I don't drink, I don't partake in drugs of any sort (unless you count Goody's Powders,) so I am mostly there. I just need to drop a pound or two and get to the point where I am more flexible.

I think this could be the thread to keep updated with. It might give some of us the motivation we need.

I have been eating pretty clean over the last several months so I could lower my body fat percentage. I am finally at the weight and body composition I want to be at before I start putting on some more weight. My goal is to put on around 20 lbs, and that should put me right around 200 lbs. It will probably take me a couple of months to put on the weight. I will start pushing my caloric intake up to about 5,000 calories per day with around 150 grams of protein a day and two servings of creatine.

I am hoping during this time I will not to put on more than a couple of inches on my waist, which should keep me right around 30'. I am really gonna have to watch what I eat. No fast food.

By the way, I am not a part of Michelle Obama's food and obesity police. I hate that s**t.

Edited by mav

I am not a health nut, but I am not a couch potato either. I used to be in pretty good shape, from working labor intensive jobs, but after college and working my way to a desk job... well, the pounds came on. I have gained a solid twenty pounds in the last four years from riding a desk. The weight doesn't bother me. What bothers me is trying to keep up with my four year old daughter. That is the ultimate goal to get in shape for. Plus to show her that being in shape is important.

I like it. It is finally getting warmer and more daylight, my running needs to get more consistent. I kept running all winter, but as I mentioned, not consistently. I ran Saturday 6.25 miles on some trails in Cullman, AL. Big hills, very big hills, rocky, creek crossings, etc. Wore me out! It was great. My weight will go down once I start running more consistently. Did I mention consistently, oh and hills suck, we are not use to them here in Memphis! I plan on losing 15lbs by summer.

6.25 miles of trail running is tough, especially with hills. I am not much of a runner. If I run, I usually stick to the track and keep it around 3 - 5 miles no more than 3 times a week. We have a bunch of people at work who are getting into running and doing some of the local 5k races. All of them talk about how much better they feel since they started running.

What bothers me is trying to keep up with my four year old daughter. That is the ultimate goal to get in shape for. Plus to show her that being in shape is important.

That is very true. I think you are doing her a great service by showing her that being in shape is important. So many kids today are really out of shape. I guess that is due to being indoors most of the time.

I would like to start working out. I'm way to small. I quit drinking so I could buy more ammo :)

Nothing wrong with being small. I'm 6.1' and 180, which isn't big by any means. I would much rather be small than too big.

Well my doctor wants me to lower my cholesterol. I am in an agreement. I know my problem is mostly fast food and a lack of extercise.

With Diet, I lowered it 70 points on my own, however he wants me on meds at least for a while. He also wants me to lose some weight

so right now,

231 cholesterol

Working on both.

Working on both.

That is good. Let us know your progress. One of the nice things about weight loss is that the weight comes off faster than it was put on.

I am hoping that people will get interested in this thread and post their successes in achieving their fitness goal.

Well since you guys are like part of my extended family... Here is a link to a journal I keep, its open to the public but nobody really knows about it. Since its a long read I won't bore you on here. I welcome questions and comments, been around the block a few times as far as being healthy/being a fatty.

I've been normal, ripped to shreds @ 8-10%bf, and fat as hell. September 2010 hit an all time high and working on getting ripped to shreds again, down about 65lbs so far!

Jeremy's Journal - Victory and Progress - John Stone Fitness Forums

Preview -

~230lbs

disgustingwallpaper-1.jpg

165lbs and cutting

IMG-20110216-00070.jpg

Edited by jeremy155rr

That is a huge amount of weight loss. Congratulations.

Based on the small number of posts, I don't know if this thread is going to make it. I guess there isn't a lot of interest on the matter. That's too bad.

Based on the small number of posts, I don't know if this thread is going to make it. I guess there isn't a lot of interest on the matter. That's too bad.

I'll commit. I need 25lb gone. Already down 30lb from 8 months ago. 25 to 30 more to go.. Shooting for sometime this summer.

Thanks buddy! Feel free to join me on John Stone Fitness - Fat Loss, Muscle Building, Body Transformation and Inspiration its a good little community. Judging by your goals from 1st post i'd say it would benefit you significantly. Keeping a journal helps too. I'm no ectomorph expert and don't pretend to be but anytime I hear of someone taking in that many calories it gives me chills :) Take weekly measurements to make sure your waist isn't increasing with your biceps (example), well it will, but not too much anyways.

I am a bouncer back about 10 years ago I had shoulder surgery and through the recovery time I sat and ate, I ended up around 220. I couldnt tie my own shoes without gasping and knew that had to go. I started the Atkins diet and exercising, I stuck to the Atkins pretty well for a month and a half then changed to my own diet based on the Atkins but letting good carbs in. I ended up losing 52 pounds, but got off of it since I was doing so good and let some sneek back up on me. I wanted to do better so I got the P90X and ran with it for 1 1/2 months and was feeling great.

I then had the ole back hit me I have three bad discs in my lower back and one had herniaited and was pressing on a nerve so I could barley walk( the wife said she was either gonna get me a walker or a wheelchair, I said guess it will be the walker cause she is to lazy to push the chair) I have been through my second cycle of epidurels in my spine to help the discs so I am preparing to hit the P90X again. I am back up to 216 and hating the world its gotta go. I can vouch for the P90X but after all it is an exercise program any and all of them will help if you stick too them. I like it because you do work with weights as well as cardio so you burn gunk as well as build muscle and tone up. I hope we all hit our goals and I for one would be glad to post or do Emails to help each other out and keep the fire going.

Good luck all, Rando:D

I set a goal starting New Years day to lose 50 lbs by June 1st. Today is Feb 20 and I am pleased to say I am down 28 lbs so I am over half way there. I have been able to discipline myself to eating healthy with smaller portions but I have just been plain lazy when it comes to exercise. So I hope to improve on that greatly with the improvement in the weather.

Congrats Murgatroy quitting smoking is a huge feat in itsself.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I want to keep this thread going, I decided to post my results after two weeks into my new diet.

My initial bodyweight was a little lower than I had anticipated.

Inital bodyweight: 173 lbs.

After 2 weeks: 183 lbs.

Gains

Biceps: 0.50"

Forearms: 0.75"

Chest: 1.00"

Waist: 0" :up:

Shoulders: 2.00"

Legs: 0.75"

Calves: 0.50"

Overall I am very pleased and quite surprised with my results thus far. My abs have actually gotten better since I have actually started working them (funny how that works).

While the results are great, I might back off the calories a little. Averaging 5 lbs a week naturally is a little much. It is making me a little tired. I am sure some of the weight gain is from water since I am supplementing my diet with creatine.

The next couple of weeks will be a good indication of whether I need to adjust anything.

mav, do you mind saying what you're doing to see that kind of gain in a couple weeks? I saw you said you upped your caloric intake to roughly 5,000 calories, 150 grams of protein, and a couple servings of creatine per day but what kind of exercises and how much/often are you lifting? I'm assuming you're lifting weights in some form, just wondering how much.

I'm 6'1" and about 165lbs and want to put on some weight and muscle mass but I have a health condition called autoimmune hepatitis (immune system attacks my liver) and I have stage 4 cirrhosis which had pretty much shut down my liver entirely and had I waited another month to go to the doctor I would have needed a liver transplant 3 years ago. Since I've been on the meds, I haven't had any real serious problems and getting better as time goes on. I was talking to my doctor about lifting weights and she didn't want me doing any strenuous exercising because I had varicose veins in my esophagus, she didn't even want me to go back to working at my job (Memphis FedEx Hub) because of lifting heavy (anything over 25lbs she considers heavy) packages but I had to have the health insurance so she said ok. I know I can handle lifting over 25lbs regularly without it hurting me any as I used to do it all the time when I was working nights but I switched to a different area now and I just drive freight around.

If I could get half of your results in the same time frame I'd be happy with it because anything is an improvement over looking like a twig! :up: I'm just trying to find something that wouldn't be too hard on me and would still show results without hurting me any.

I started this past December. I was 208 and way out of shape. Been going to the gym five days a week since then and have completely changed my diet. I'm now at hanging around 195, feeling great, looking better, and can actually run a few miles without passing out.

I'm really looking forward to what I'll be like this time next year.

Mike

I'd love to lose at least 10 lbs, 15 lbs would be ideal. Once upon a time I worked out regularly and was in decent shape. Now with a 3yr old and 3 month old, I've no idea how to find the time to exercise. I get up a 5:30am to get ready for work. I get home at 5:00pm and spend the evenings caring for / playing with my boys. About the only exercise I get is chasing my 3yr old around. I know I'll get out more when it warms up doing yard work and such.

I'm also a stress eater. Life can be quite stressful with 2 little ones. I think I eat reasonably healthy foods (fast food about once/week), I just eat too much. Portion control is a big issue for me.

In December 2009 I was shocked when I stepped on the scales and found I weighed 291 lbs.

Started working out every day, watching my diet, and lost about 80 lbs last year.

Started P90x yesterday, am excited by the workouts already.

I've always been an athlete, so getting fat was out of character for me. I'm happy to be getting back into shape...

Since I want to keep this thread going, I decided to post my results after two weeks into my new diet.

My initial bodyweight was a little lower than I had anticipated.

Inital bodyweight: 173 lbs.

After 2 weeks: 183 lbs.

Gains

Biceps: 0.50"

Forearms: 0.75"

Chest: 1.00"

Waist: 0" ;)

Shoulders: 2.00"

Legs: 0.75"

Calves: 0.50"

Overall I am very pleased and quite surprised with my results thus far. My abs have actually gotten better since I have actually started working them (funny how that works).

While the results are great, I might back off the calories a little. Averaging 5 lbs a week naturally is a little much. It is making me a little tired. I am sure some of the weight gain is from water since I am supplementing my diet with creatine.

The next couple of weeks will be a good indication of whether I need to adjust anything.

Thats awesome man, most people bulking would be lucky to get 10lbs a month without getting pudgy. If your only getting 150g of protein remember water is lbm and it has a tendency to bind with carbs and stick around alot longer, keep drinking a buttload of it though with that creatine intake. I cramp up quite a bit when i'm taking creatine and drink about a gallon of water a day! Your last sentence is key, whether bulking or cutting, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd say hitting a wall in strength gains for more than a week or seeing the middle grow for two weeks would signal at the very least a macro adjustment if not a daily intake adjustment.