My first open carry experience

Guest kirkosaurus

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know several detectives on our local police force. While on duty they don't open carry. I have never asked why, I suppose for various reasons. Personally I don't OC. Never saw the need. I am fine with those who choose to do so. And by the way just because you see someone OC doesn't mean they have a carry permit. It does mean they are stupid, but never assume they are permitted and have been "vented" by the state as one person stated.

I know several detectives on our local police force. While on duty they don't open carry. I have never asked why, I suppose for various reasons. Personally I don't OC. Never saw the need. I am fine with those who choose to do so. And by the way just because you see someone OC doesn't mean they have a carry permit. It does mean they are stupid, but never assume they are permitted and have been "vented" by the state as one person stated.

Pretty diplomatic way of stating your opinion don't you think? I personally don't feel comfortable open carrying in the vast majority of situations but I not going to make assumptions about those who do. I think launching insults with no real basis for your statement is probably not the most persuasive way to get folks seeing things your way...:up:

LOL! My wife says I'm antisocial, and that I don't do well around people. You guys make me think that she might just have something there.:up:

But just humor me for a second, what would you do in such a situation.

I would just walk away. We have precious little time here on this rock and I am not going to be dedicating much of it to arguing with morons. If that means "she wins," so be it. She only wins by forfeit - because I refuse to play the game - not by strength of her argument. 10 minutes later I won't even remember what she looks like and she'll probably still be fuming at me for exercising my God-given and Constitutionally protected freedoms. If that's a win, then I'll take a loss every day, and twice on Sunday.

Guest gw2and4
I would just walk away. We have precious little time here on this rock and I am not going to be dedicating much of it to arguing with morons. If that means "she wins," so be it. She only wins by forfeit - because I refuse to play the game - not by strength of her argument. 10 minutes later I won't even remember what she looks like and she'll probably still be fuming at me for exercising my God-given and Constitutionally protected freedoms. If that's a win, then I'll take a loss every day, and twice on Sunday.

+1 to this. Well said, sir.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Carter, it would appear that two things you are missing in your life are spell check, and a coherent thought.

Said it nicer than I would have. Because this little nugget of wisdom pissed me off.

blah blah blah I fought for my country also, that doesn’t go as far as it use to,
blah blah blah I fought for my country also, that doesn’t go as far as it use to

As far as it used to? What are you talking about? What it got me in 1972 was spit on and called a baby killer. I've seen nothing but respect for the military for many years. And if you really did serve, thank you for your service. I have respect those in uniform and those that have served.

Sorry for the off topic. Carry on.

O don't get me wrong, I have TOTAL respect to the men AND women that have served and that are serving now , but HATE! when people pull that card when having a conversation, orginally from good ol north carolina, we could open carry WITHOUT a stupid permit, i dont remember seeing many if any poeple doing it though, my dad did carry in the car, and it had to be in plain view, but put it under the seat when we got out and went into a store, then came along the concealed carry law and he did go get his, and carried a beretta 92 like magnum PI did...small of the back, but in any case I'm sitcking to my concealed carry, and done with this thread, and will continue to snicker and shake my head at anyone that open carries... while an open carry gun might be slightly faster on the draw (perhaps a second or two), a concealed carry gun offers the element of surprise, which buys an individual plenty of time to choose the right opportunity to draw the gun on the unsuspecting assailant. In addition, with an open carry gun, the assailant knows exactly what the person is reaching for, so will move faster to try to overcome them. With a concealed carry gun, the person to act casually and inconspicuously while reaching for gun, perhaps saying something like, "OK, I'm reaching for my wallet." There are many situations in which, therefore, a concealed carry weapon buys more time than an open carry weapon. I support our second amendment, but I am against people feeling empowered to carry their legally permitted weapons openly and here is why: many aren't trained to retain total control of their own weapons and there may come a time when somebody is able to grab it away from them and use it against innocent bystanders. Americans are used to seeing police openly carrying firearms. But because they are uniformed and easily identifiable and their position in society still commands some level of respect from most of society, most would never dream of overpowering or subduing a police officer in an attempt to grab their weapon away from them and then use it against innocents. Not so for some schlub picking his nose in a Def Leppard t-shirt, who may or may not have had the proper training in order to maintain control of their own weapon. Some crazy ******* may get it in his head that Mr. Nose Picker doesn't look all that tough and that he could probably wrest Mr. N. P.'s crappy little 9mm away from him and then use it to cause some righteous anarchy. And that is it in a nutshell. Gun control in this case means maintaining control of who is in possession of ones own weapon. I am not convinced that the majority of Americans are wholly prepared to do exactly that, which is why I'd prefer that those who choose to carry a legal firearm keep it concealed. But sounds like most people aren't worried about that and more than likely are not and do not train in weapon retention. Open carry is just not practical.

O don't get me wrong, I have TOTAL respect to the men AND women that have served and that are serving now , but HATE! when people pull that card when having a conversation, orginally from good ol north carolina, we could open carry WITHOUT a stupid permit, i dont remember seeing many if any poeple doing it though, my dad did carry in the car, and it had to be in plain view, but put it under the seat when we got out and went into a store, then came along the concealed carry law and he did go get his, and carried a beretta 92 like magnum PI did...small of the back, but in any case I'm sitcking to my concealed carry, and done with this thread, and will continue to snicker and shake my head at anyone that open carries... while an open carry gun might be slightly faster on the draw (perhaps a second or two), a concealed carry gun offers the element of surprise, which buys an individual plenty of time to choose the right opportunity to draw the gun on the unsuspecting assailant. In addition, with an open carry gun, the assailant knows exactly what the person is reaching for, so will move faster to try to overcome them. With a concealed carry gun, the person to act casually and inconspicuously while reaching for gun, perhaps saying something like, "OK, I'm reaching for my wallet." There are many situations in which, therefore, a concealed carry weapon buys more time than an open carry weapon. I support our second amendment, but I am against people feeling empowered to carry their legally permitted weapons openly and here is why: many aren't trained to retain total control of their own weapons and there may come a time when somebody is able to grab it away from them and use it against innocent bystanders. Americans are used to seeing police openly carrying firearms. But because they are uniformed and easily identifiable and their position in society still commands some level of respect from most of society, most would never dream of overpowering or subduing a police officer in an attempt to grab their weapon away from them and then use it against innocents. Not so for some schlub picking his nose in a Def Leppard t-shirt, who may or may not have had the proper training in order to maintain control of their own weapon. Some crazy ******* may get it in his head that Mr. Nose Picker doesn't look all that tough and that he could probably wrest Mr. N. P.'s crappy little 9mm away from him and then use it to cause some righteous anarchy. And that is it in a nutshell. Gun control in this case means maintaining control of who is in possession of ones own weapon. I am not convinced that the majority of Americans are wholly prepared to do exactly that, which is why I'd prefer that those who choose to carry a legal firearm keep it concealed. But sounds like most people aren't worried about that and more than likely are not and do not train in weapon retention. Open carry is just not practical.

You've stated some good reasons to carry your weapon concealed. Where you lose me is when you make the leap that beause something isn't for you, you don't believe people should be able to make the decision themselves...

Where you lose me is when you make the leap that beause something isn't for you, you don't believe people should be able to make the decision themselves...

Damn. Made it farther than I did... :)

Guest kirkosaurus

Your name isn't Buford Tune, is it?

Chicago is another planet. Someone with a brain would thing their disarming of citizens ain't working so well.

Open carrying on a bike is probably one of the best places to do it. Much better than a movie theater full of bed wetters.

I missed the part where any citizens were disarmed. A retired and a current Chicago Police Officer both exited the house, armed, and engaged in a gun battle with the thugs. The son was killed and the father killed one of the thugs and wounded another.

This is a tragedy, but I can’t see the connection to gun laws; everyone involved was obviously armed.

I missed the part where any citizens were disarmed. A retired and a current Chicago Police Officer both exited the house, armed, and engaged in a gun battle with the thugs. The son was killed and the father killed one of the thugs and wounded another.

This is a tragedy, but I can’t see the connection to gun laws; everyone involved was obviously armed.

The only real connection is the extra boldness of the thugs in that town. The shootout shouldn't have happened at all, since handguns are banned.