What would you do in a situation like this?

The part where if you were standing there seeing this take place, you wouldn't have access to the police report.

There's still a HUGE difference in the two scenarios. In Carter's example a dude who was getting beat up successfully escapes and then draws a gun. He is now defending himself and it is blatantly obvious that he doesn't need your help. In the original scenario there is an unconscious woman on the ground with a man in a mask standing over her with a taser. There is a very small chance that she doesn't need your help so you call the police who will be there in somewhere between 6 and 30 minutes in most cases and give them a good eye-witness description, disregarding the fact that eye-witness descriptions are notoriously unreliable. Maybe you have excellent vision and got the license plate number, but I doubt it because you would have to get close enough to put yourself in possible danger, so it's not likely. I'm sure everything will turn out fine though.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well in my senario, the shooter was no longer in danger, he got away and no one chased him down, but drew his weapon which he was not carrying legally i assure you, and just started shooting rounds IN THE DIRECTION of the guys that beat him up, luckly he did NOT hit anyone... several people not involved in the confrontation where standing outside also... and the police came to me, and asked what i saw, there is no way i could pick the shooter out in a line up, too far away to see any facial features, just told them what he had on the last time i saw him and his build, later that day he was arrested, the casings where a .380

Beat me to it. :D

I’m not jumping in to help some guys that were assaulting someone. Let the cops worry about it.

Sure, but you weren’t jumping in to help the innocent woman. I’m not jumping in to help the two criminals that are getting shot at. Matter of fact I’m not even calling 911. :D

Bingo.

I agree that the situations are vastly different. But even in Cartes examply I would have verbally announced that the beating cease as I was dialling 911. You cant even beat a criminal to death in broad daylight. You can hold him down (getting in a few good jabs to the face) but thats about it. I agree with Greg that my utmost focus is on my wife and myself or anyone else who may be out with us, but I have never been one to sit by and watch a beating (after highschool anyway) without some sort of action. Now a one on one fight is different, two dudes brawling in a bar parkinglot can fend for themselves but anytime you have 2 or 3 on 1, chances are its not gonna end with everyone going on there merry way.

Sure, but you weren’t jumping in to help the innocent woman. I’m not jumping in to help the two criminals that are getting shot at. Matter of fact I’m not even calling 911. :)

Yeah, because in all your omniscience you know that those two 'criminals' aren't really good samaritans who were beating on the guy because they just stepped in to keep the guy who is now shooting at them from, say, beating up some woman they didn't even know and he went for his gun. I guess it is good that you are all-seeing and can know, 100%, that those two guys aren't now being shot at because they were dumb enough to get directly involved in someone else's problem. Even though there might be more going on than you saw, you've made up your mind and won't even get involved to the point of calling 911.

Assumptions are great, aren't they.

Edited by JAB
Yeah, because in all your omniscience you know that those two 'criminals' aren't really good samaritans who were beating on the guy because they just stepped in to keep the guy who is now shooting at them from, say, beating up some woman they didn't even know and he went for his gun. I guess it is good that you are all-seeing and can know, 100%, that those two guys aren't now being shot at because they were dumb enough to get directly involved in someone else's problem. Even though there might be more going on than you saw, you've made up your mind and won't even get involved to the point of calling 911.

Assumptions are great, aren't they.

Dang man take a breath. :)

I know exactly what Carter posted in his story on an Internet forum… no more, no less.

So see it’s not omniscience or assumptions; it’s just RIF.

Dang man take a breath. :)

I know exactly what Carter posted in his story on an Internet forum… no more, no less.

So see it’s not omniscience or assumptions; it’s just RIF.

What Carter posted was that he saw a scuffle already in progress where a couple of guys (we'll call them ass-whoopers) appeared to be beating up another guy (we'll call him the ass-whoopie.) The ass-whoopie got away, pulled a gun and started shooting at the ass-whoopers. From that (without going quite so far as to think that maybe they are filming a movie), I simply don't see how an observer could reasonably assume that the ass-whoopers were 'criminals' and not bother calling 911. That is what I was saying.

Edited by JAB
Proper spelling is ass whoopee :)

You know, I started to spell it that way but that sounded like a whole, different thing. If I saw some guys doing that on the street, I'd certainly call 911 and definitely would not get involved! I wouldn't be making any effort to be a good witness, either.

Edited by JAB
You know, I started to spell it that way but that sounded like a whole, different thing. If I saw some guys doing that on the street, I'd certainly call 911 and definitely would not get involved! I wouldn't be making any effort to be a good witness, either.

I'm happy to see we're still having fun with this thread.

employee... whoopee :)

I believe that's illegal in some states!
employee... whoopee :)

And that could get you a harassment lawsuit.

In all seriousness, you are definitely right about the proper spelling and I really did start to spell it that way.

Edited by JAB

I know a couple in which the husband works two jobs, and the wife doesn't hit a lick at a snake. She doesn't cook, clean, or do anything constructive that I'm aware of. There are guys in and out of her house on a regular basis while he's at work. If he beats her to death, I might try to stop him for fear he'd be punished, but I can't say I'd have a lot of pity for her. There are just so many situations that you can't know or predict.

Greg you seem like you have your mind made up so this thread could go on for pages and pages with no progress.

Erik, when did you first realize that you had the gift of seeing into the future.

Guest friesepferd
I know a couple in which the husband works two jobs, and the wife doesn't hit a lick at a snake. She doesn't cook, clean, or do anything constructive that I'm aware of. There are guys in and out of her house on a regular basis while he's at work. If he beats her to death, I might try to stop him for fear he'd be punished, but I can't say I'd have a lot of pity for her. There are just so many situations that you can't know or predict.

Sure, there are plenty of women in this world like that, who are a detriment to our society and those around them. I know a few of them first hand.

That fact is in no way going to stop me from helping a lady who appears to be in distress. Mainly because the likelyhood that she is so bad that I wouldn't want to help is very very low. Even in the case you mentioned, if she was getting beat (and especially if her life was in real danger) and I could stop it, I would.

Now if she were someone who goes around and kills children every night and I know it, than my actions may just be different.

I am NOT going to refrain from helping someone just because they COULD be a terrible person.

This isn't the first discussion Eric's had with me.:D

Hey it's all in good fun. If nobody disagreed on TGO then this place just wouldn't be the same! ;)

Even though I may not agree with Greg I hear he still makes a badass holster!! Now if only you offered them for my tubberwear guns :popcorn:

Hey it's all in good fun. If nobody disagreed on TGO then this place just wouldn't be the same! ;)

Even though I may not agree with Greg I hear he still makes a badass holster!! Now if only you offered them for my tubberwear guns :popcorn:

Tubberwear?! LMFAO!!!!! That has got to be one of the best mis-types I've ever seen. Oh man that is truly great.

Guest Killbot

Definite answer for me, would have shot the guy right after he stunned her that way she cant be considered a witness if the da wants to be a jerk. My story would have been self defense cuase he mumbled something about jihad or no loose ends as his head hollowed out. Its hard to defend yourself when somebodys dumping a couple thousand volts through you. I was tased while stationed in germany with a 20,000 volt gun, It was not fun and at 220 pounds i was a sac of doo for a few seconds afterwards a baby could have strangled me during that time. So If I see somebody doing something that evil or stupid Ill apologize to god for it later.