Does it bother you when asked for ID?

Erik88

Does it bother you when asked to show your ID?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you when asked to show your ID?

• yes- my gray hair should work as ID
    • No-I realize people are just doing their job

The restaurant I work at tells us to ask everyone for ID if they order alcohol. Some people say it's state law to ID everyone and others say it's not a law. I've been told that if TABC comes in and I fail to ID them(even if they are OVER 21) that I can be fined $1,500. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the actual law is?

Also, does it bother you when you are asked to show ID? I have lost count of how many people get pissed at me when I ask for ID. I really don't see what the big deal is. It literally takes 2 seconds to get your wallet out and show me your DL. I had 2 people get pissed at me tonight and I explained that I'm just doing my job.

It's amazing how upset people get about the issue.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it.

Convenience and grocery stores must card everyone for beer.

Wine and liquor sales don't have to card anyone.

Buying beer,wine,liquor at a bar or restaurant, do not need to be carded.

Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Erik, you need to card all alcohol consuming customers in the restaraunt.

I dunno if ABC fines you for not doing it ( not likely I think) or if they come after the owner( most likely).

Anyway the "law" in it does not matter, your restaruants policy is to card so do it.

And it does not bother me in the least to show ID even though I appear to be plenty old enough for libation.

Guest clownsdd

Don't mind being asked at all. If it helps keep just one stupid kid alive and out of trouble. On the other hand, I do object to removing it from my wallet. It is clearly legible without that being necessary.

I would guess that carding is a company policy, not the law. I would guess the law is that you don’t serve minors. But thats just a WAG I have not looked the law up.

I’m old so it doesn’t bother me. When I was young it didn’t bother me either; except when I was too young and got turned down. :rolleyes:

It is a stupid law, and pizzes me off, but I don't get upset at the person who actually asks for your I.D., as they are simply doing what is required of them. I am upset at the stupid politicians who enacted the law. If it's that important at a restuarant or convenience store, wouldn't you want to do it at a liquor store as well? I though I read somewhere a while back that the law had expired or something. I haven't been able to find that again to verify it.

It is a stupid law, and pizzes me off, but I don't get upset at the person who actually asks for your I.D.

completely understand Greg.

Oh, and I should also mention that I'm not allowed to serve someone if their ID is expired. Even if they are of age. I don't really agree with it, but I have to do it.

Also, it amazes me how many women don't carry ID. Last night I had an older woman who said her ID was at home. This just seems irresponsible to me. What if she was in an accident and they couldn't figure out who she was. It's mostly women who do this, not as many men.

Here's the deal. I have traveled all over the country, and haven't had to produce ID anywhere (except the airport), and I have to do it everywhere in Tennessee. When a law makes you do something that you don't have to do in any other state, it's probably a stupid law. Stupid pisses me off. I don't buy beer every day, but they do it for cigarettes too.

I know... it's for the children.

It is my understanding mandatory carding applies only to off premises sale of beer and only, if in the opinion of the sales clerk, the buyer appears to be under the age of 50. This law was enacted in 2008 and replaced a one year law mandating carding for off premises sale of beer for all buyers, regardless of age.

Guest kirkosaurus

Oh, and I should also mention that I'm not allowed to serve someone if their ID is expired. Even if they are of age. I don't really agree with it, but I have to do it.

When I waited tables years ago it was the law that anyone drinking alcohol in a restaurant had to have valid ID. May be the same today? Our restaurant got busted for serving minors and after that they made us ID anyone drinking no matter what their age.

When I waited tables years ago it was the law that anyone drinking alcohol in a restaurant had to have valid ID. May be the same today? Our restaurant got busted for serving minors and after that they made us ID anyone drinking no matter what their age.

ya, they tell us this is still the law. However, I get different answers depending on what manager I ask. That is why I was hoping someone here could find out what the actual laws are.

I agree with only selling to persons who are legal but is it really necessary when it is obvious that the person is way over the legal minimum age? Especially when the server/checkout person doesn't really read it but quickly glances and returns it? If it is a law/policy, then it seems to be an overeaction. Should there be ANY question then I do believe they should ask for identification and then take the time to scrutinize it. Is it a great problem for me? No. Is it an annoyance? Yes.

( I hate it even worse when people ask for my zip code at the checkout.) :rolleyes:

when I worked retail I always got a kick out of people who force their ID upon me saying " I know you have to see this" Usually they were people obviously old enough. I would simply say "I don't need that". Then they would get a look on their face like I was some kind of ass. I might be some kind of an ass, heck I know I am but I did not need an ID to sell wine or spirits.

And I always got a kick out of women who were obviously old enough and I would ask for ID to amuse myself and they would get a little grin on their face like they actually thought I was wondering if they were at least 21.

And I never kid myself that when I get carded there is any chance in hell I look like I might not look my age.

i am pretty sure that off premise consumption beer sales still lawfully require ID, not sure about on premise consumption. Package stores definitely don't have to see ID by law.

And if asked for zip code or phone number I simply tell them they don't need it. No one has ever forced the issue.