Cedar Bluff Dick's Getting Out of Hunting/Fishing

I keep forgetting to post about this. We were in Dick's at Cedar Bluff last Sunday. The Hunting and Fishing department looked like it was being reset. Turns out that location is doing away with the hunting and fishing stuff. Seems that stuff just isn't profitable in that location. My understanding is that the Maryville location will still have a hunting/fishing department, at least for now.

Dick's is way down on my list for places to buy hunting/shooting/fishing supplies but I have bought a few things there and this makes one less place to buy such things in Knoxville. It is ironic that the wall-sized picture on the wall as you enter the place is of two guys holding fishing rods.

As far as 'bargains' from this event, as of Sunday none of the hunting related items were on sale. I don't know if such items will be put on sale or simply shipped to another store. We were told that all fishing rods were 25% off and there was a table of a few, other items - mostly fishing related - that were on sale.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are counting the 'hunting and fishing' section as what is in the 'lodge' at the back of the store. I overheard one of the employees telling some other folks that those items just weren't profitable at that location. He was saying that with all the school athletics and other youth sports organizations around that area, it would be more profitable to use the space to expand merchandise geared toward those activities.

Guest nicemac

I was at Dick's in Cool Springs one day buying a shirt. The guy in front of me had something hunting/gun related. He paid and left. The perky cashier made some comment that she wished they would "quit selling all that gun stuff." They want to be a golf store. Fine. I haven't been back. There is ALWAYS somewhere cheaper anyway.

Guest TargetShooter84

Dick's is hunting/fishing stuff is always overpriced anyways and their employees are a bunch of dicks anyways as far as CS goes.

Buddy of mine reported that the "shack" only made a few hundred $K last few quarters, which is significantly less than even one of their lines of clothing. They are making room for stuff that sells.

Also, do not know who, but apparently they are responding (by fleeing) to a new sporting goods competitor coming to Cedar Bluff area.

Bert

Also, do not know who, but apparently they are responding (by fleeing) to a new sporting goods competitor coming to Cedar Bluff area.

If an Academy opens up around here I'll be dancing at the front doors on opening day!

Guest GunTroll

I worked at a Dick's in CO immediately after I ets'd in 07. Worst job I ever had as an adult. Going from Army life to being a Lodge employee was degrading. It was part time 11hrs a week while I was going to school. I so loved helping and or talking to customers. It was so much better than shuffling products around from one isle to another or an end-cap. I hate retail like that. I vowed right there on the last day I worked there to never ever ever work for corporate America again. One has almost no choice but to buy corporate America made products but we can choice which retailer gets our money. For me that ain't Dick's.

Dick's Sucks!

...Also, do not know who, but apparently they are responding (by fleeing) to a new sporting goods competitor coming to Cedar Bluff area.

Bert

If an Academy opens up around here I'll be dancing at the front doors on opening day!

Academy was the first 'probability' that came to mind when I read R_Bert's post.

I'd be excited for the $10 boxes of Monarch 9mm Mak ammo, alone! My wife and I go to Chattanooga periodically and I can buy a few boxes when we are down there but having an Academy in Knoxville would be nice.

Edited by JAB
Dick's prices are so high that I could care less. It amazes me that people actually shop there.

An (almost) college grad should use this term correctly. :up:

I was by Dick's last night, scored some buy out fishing stuff cheap.

And yeah, Dick's generally too high, but I have bought a couple of rifles there in the past. Matter of fact, I scored my Marlin .30-30 there, cheaper than at Wally's at the time. And now and then their case price on 9mm was cheapest in town. Also, bought a couple of .22 rifles there that were cheapest in town at the time.

So, all in all, it's one less option for gun stuff, and that's never a good thing.

Chattanooga has Dick's AND Academy (two of them, no less). (AND Sportsman' Warehouse). All selling guns/ammo/accessories.

- OS

I'd be afraid to count the amount of I've spent sporting stuff and clothing at Dicks over the years. I've always found their prices to be pretty competitive and in some cases, way cheaper.

Never quite understood why their guns and ammo were always priced so high compared to other items in store.

An (almost) college grad should use this term correctly. ;)

I was by Dick's last night, scored some buy out fishing stuff cheap.

And yeah, Dick's generally too high, but I have bought a couple of rifles there in the past. Matter of fact, I scored my Marlin .30-30 there, cheaper than at Wally's at the time. And now and then their case price on 9mm was cheapest in town. Also, bought a couple of .22 rifles there that were cheapest in town at the time.

So, all in all, it's one less option for gun stuff, and that's never a good thing.

Chattanooga has Dick's AND Academy (two of them, no less). (AND Sportsman' Warehouse). All selling guns/ammo/accessories.

- OS

Yep - it seems like Chattanooga gets all the cool stuff and all Knoxville and the surrounding area gets are more banks, gas stations and churches.

I really wish Knoxville had an Academy. And a Sportsman's Warehouse (yeah, Sportsman's can be a bit high on their prices, too but options are nice and Sportsman's is the only place where I have ever found Buffalo Bore 180 grain hard cast .357 Magnum ammo in stock in the store.)

A Cabela's would be nice, too. We drove up to New York this past summer to catch a ship (cruise of the New England states) and along the way - I think it was just inside the Pennsylvania border, iirc - there was a HUGE Cabela's that was just right alongside the Interstate. It looked like a place where I could have spent some time (my guess is that it was at least as big a building as Bass Pro in Sevierville and probably bigger than that, from what I could see.) I would have loved to stop but we were on a schedule and didn't have time so I just had to drive on by while pressing my nose to the window and whimpering (figuratively speaking, of course.)

I would like to see an Academy.

I was in Dicks the other night and I asked them, the short answer was, they aren't making any money on it, so they shipped it all out to another store.

I have found decent prices in there from time to time. I walked out with my Pardner Pump for under $200. But for the most part, they were more expensive.

I would like to see an Academy.

I was in Dicks the other night and I asked them, the short answer was, they aren't making any money on it, so they shipped it all out to another store.

Funny, I was in there last night (I had not seen this post previously) and noticed that all the guns were gone. The fellow at the counter claimed that the North Peters location was the highest selling location for guns. He said the decision was made "up high" to focus on fitness and athletics. He also claimed that Academy Sports was opening a store "down the road" that likely contributed to the decision to move the fishing/hunting merchandise to the Blount county store.