Whazup with bicycles?

Guest KCSTEVE

Guest KCSTEVE

I've ridden bicycles for over 50 years... Stayed out of the way of cars... Observed the laws of the road... Still love to ride a bicycle but, I hate driving a car on the same road with bicyclists.

I know "3 Feet, Its The Law" but, bicyclists are out in the road, not on the shoulder, not even in the bike lane. So whazup with bicycles?

"It's my Right" but, bicyclists don't buy license, tags, wheel tax, insurance, registration or road tax at the pump... So is it the 100 mph hats or the tight britches that causes the Dare-Devil attitude?... Does anybody know? B)

I have always wondered the same thing. I don't understand why people ride on the road then there is a perfectly good sidewalk right beside them. I see this a lot in Knoxville.

I don't ride a bike currently, but can tell you many of the sidewalks around here are quite bad.

And certainly if you're gonna make some real time rather than lollygag, ya gotta be on the road.

- OS

• Admin Team

Visibility.

You're not watching the bike lane. Most people don't really know the width of their car, and think they can squeeze past you while you're on the shoulder - all the while tagging you with their mirror. The sidewalk is the most dangerous place to ride, because as a general rule, cars don't look or stop until they reach the curb - which is 6 feet beyond the sidewalk you're riding on.

That leaves taking some space out in the lane.

• Like 1
I don't understand why people ride on the road then there is a perfectly good sidewalk right beside them.

1. If you are riding a "road" bike, the wheels, tires, and general setup of the bike is designed for going fast on the road, not on a sidewalk.

2. It is actually illegal to ride on the sidewalks in many municipalities.(See #3 and #5).

3. Sidewalks are designed for pedestrians that means people who are on foot. Why should I have to wait on them, startle them, or risk their leashed dog or child causing a collision.

4. The sidewalks are usually where all the glass, tacks, staples etc.. are located, which can result in expensive and time wasting flat tires.

5. Riding on the sidewalk can actually be more dangerous than riding on the road. Why? Because the sidewalks don't expect a 20 mph vehicle to be in in an area designed for pedesrians. Hence they don't see cyclists and pull into the path of cyclist in places where the sidewalk may cross driveway or parking lot.

6. Cyclists have a right to be on the road. Trust me, I pay plenty of taxes, and if there is an alternative street with less traffic, I'll usually take it.

That said, I'm sorry if I've ever created a 5-15 second delay for you. I should know that you're probably on the way are on the way to defuse a bomb or deliver a baby somewhere. LOL. Seriously, Just throw your tobacco spit cup at me. That seems what most people do. Or they've really got brass balls, they yell obscenities and then drive off really fast. I've always assumed this is because they are admiring my physique, and would really like to keep watching me ride, but darn it they have a bomb to defuse and don't have the time to stop and talk...

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 1
1. If you are riding a "road" bike, the wheels, tires, and general setup of the bike is designed for going fast on the road, not on a sidewalk.

2. It is actually illegal to ride on the sidewalks in many municipalities.(See #3 and #5).

3. Sidewalks are designed for pedestrians that means people who are on foot. Why should I have to wait on them, startle them, or risk their leashed dog or child causing a collision.

4. The sidewalks are usually where all the glass, tacks, staples etc.. are located, which can result in expensive and time wasting flat tires.

5. Riding on the sidewalk can actually be more dangerous than riding on the road. Why? Because drivers don't expect a 20 mph vehicle to be in in an area designed for pedestrians. Hence they don't see cyclists and pull into the path of cyclist in places where the sidewalk may cross driveway or parking lot.

6. Cyclists have a right to be on the road. Trust me, I pay plenty of taxes, and if there is an alternative street with less traffic, I'll usually take it.

That said, I'm sorry if I've ever created a 5-15 second delay for you. I should know that you're probably on the way are on the way to defuse a bomb or deliver a baby somewhere. LOL. Seriously, Just throw your tobacco spit cup at me, or honk your horn, or swerve at me, or try to run me off into a ditch. That seems what most people do. Or they've really got brass balls, they yell obscenities and then drive off really fast, choking me with their exhaust fumes. Don't worry, I don't need to breathe. I've always assumed this is because they are admiring my physique, and would really like to keep watching me ride, but darn it they have a bomb to defuse and don't have the time to stop and talk...

Amen. (with minor edits)

Edited by peejman

YESSS! I love it when they swerve at you, that just makes the ride some much better! Luckily I have never had a miror to the kidney but I have felt the breeze ever so close many times. and it doesnt matter if we pay wheel tax or any other, the law says we have a right to be there and thats the safest place to ride 15-20mph. The way some people act you'd think they get stuck behind cyclists EVERY day, but no, maybe once a month but whos counting. The funiest thing to me is that people think because your on a bike your weak. They feel tough in their big bad car and the truth is quite the opposite. Not to mention I still carry when riding B)

Guest Broomhead

5. Riding on the sidewalk can actually be more dangerous than riding on the road. Why? Because the sidewalks don't expect a 20 mph vehicle to be in in an area designed for pedesrians. Hence they don't see cyclists and pull into the path of cyclist in places where the sidewalk may cross driveway or parking lot.

That said, I'm sorry if I've ever created a 5-15 second delay for you. I should know that you're probably on the way are on the way to defuse a bomb or deliver a baby somewhere. LOL. Seriously, Just throw your tobacco spit cup at me. That seems what most people do. Or they've really got brass balls, they yell obscenities and then drive off really fast. I've always assumed this is because they are admiring my physique, and would really like to keep watching me ride, but darn it they have a bomb to defuse and don't have the time to stop and talk...

That's all fine and well but according to TCA 55-8-171 Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles — Penalty. —, every rider of a bicycle is granted the same rights and duties of a motor vehicle driver. I have been cut off by cyclist while I was trying to proceed through a 4-way stop on my turn, I have had cyclist run red lights with no worry of being hit and acting like it is their right to do whatever they want, and I have been passed in a line of cars waiting at a red light by cyclists again thinking they can do whatever they wish. I don't like cyclist because they do things that are illegal and dangerous to both themselves and me. I have tried passing cyclists who for some reason veer very close to my car even when I was originally 3 feet or more away. Am I supposed to suddenly veer off the left side of the road and potentially wreck because they can't ride straight?

I've been plotting a biking route in my country neighborhood, but it's risky. No sidewalks, no shoulders, usually a ditch starts right at the white line (and there isn't always a white line).

I don't like cyclist (sic) because they do things that are illegal and dangerous to both themselves and me.

This is pure bull*****. How can you say you don't like an entire group of people based on the actions of one or two? I don't like drivers who swerve at me, throw things, or yell obscenities. Do I think cars should be illegal? Of course not. I'm sitting in a Cadillac right now.

Guest mustangdave

Having been a bicycle commuter for a number of years in a couple different cities...I can attest to the crappy attitudes on both sides of the pavement. When I ride...the RULE is...ride as far over to the RIGHT side of the road as is safely possible. Honestly...its sometimes safer to ride IN THE TRAFFIC...with the flow...than it is to stay over to the right...case in point...commuting to work in Norfolk, Va...in heavy morning traffic headed toward the Navy Base...had a guy pull out in front of me from a 7-11...we actually made eye contact...I had the "right of way"...and he still pulled out in front of me...I plowed into his front quarter panel...rolled across his hood....landed in a heap on the other side. This moron gets out of the car...cusses me out...then drives away. I found his car in one of the parking lots a while later...got his tag number and reported his butt for leaving the scene of an accident.

After all that...and because of my prior experiences...I always give cyclists a wide berth on any roads.

I've been plotting a biking route in my country neighborhood, but it's risky. No sidewalks, no shoulders, usually a ditch starts right at the white line (and there isn't always a white line).

Is your area open carry friendly? Broomhead might be out there....

. . . Am I supposed to suddenly veer off the left side of the road and potentially wreck because they can't ride straight?

If you're choosing between hitting a cyclist with your car or driving into the ditch, you'd probably be ahead hitting the ditch.

But you're free to choose either one. :)

i used to be one of those guys when i was young and dumb. 400 small block, straight pipes and I used to love to pass cyclers, torquing it to about 5 grand. It's not cool anymore [not that ever was] sorry.:)

I'll still get down on the horn if it takes more than a few minutes. 5-10 seconds is nothing but I have been behind some for a few miles with no opportunity to pass. Now that IS :D

i used to be one of those guys when i was young and dumb. 400 small block, straight pipes and I used to love to pass cyclers, torquing it to about 5 grand. It's not cool anymore [not that ever was] sorry.:)

I'll still get down on the horn if it takes more than a few minutes. 5-10 seconds is nothing but I have been behind some for a few miles with no opportunity to pass. Now that IS :D

If it's truly taking a while to pass, I certainly try to waive traffic around me at the earliest safe opportunity. Most seasoned cyclists will do exactly the same thing.

Jreed, thanks for educating me about the sidewalk issues. That makes a lot more sense now. I have only seen a few instances where bikers were doing something dangerous. Does anyone remember the story out Florida(I think) where that guy intentionally slammed on his brakes right in front of a guy on a bike. The guy on the bike went through his rear windshield and was severely hurt. It was terrible.

I try to be really save when around bikes. Sometimes I do feel that they are putting me in more danger, especially if they are on a curvy two lane road, but for the most part they seem to be really safe.

That's all fine and well but according to TCA 55-8-171 Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles — Penalty. —, every rider of a bicycle is granted the same rights and duties of a motor vehicle driver. I have been cut off by cyclist while I was trying to proceed through a 4-way stop on my turn, I have had cyclist run red lights with no worry of being hit and acting like it is their right to do whatever they want, and I have been passed in a line of cars waiting at a red light by cyclists again thinking they can do whatever they wish.

How is this different from everyone else on the road?

I don't like cyclist because they do things that are illegal and dangerous to both themselves and me. I have tried passing cyclists who for some reason veer very close to my car even when I was originally 3 feet or more away. Am I supposed to suddenly veer off the left side of the road and potentially wreck because they can't ride straight?

In a word, yes. As the overtaking vehicle, it's your responsibility to pass in a safe manner.

No problem, Erik. Just remember they are probably on that curvy two-lane in an attempt to avoid traffic. You'll find that most cyclists, just like most gun owners, tend to be really safe. After all, they are in far more danger than you.