Whazup with bicycles?

Guest KCSTEVE

This thread should be an eye-opener to all of us. People are able to get an HCP because they DON'T YET have a criminal record. I see handcuffs and lawyers in the future for some of these posters.

Just to throw in $.02. Most single riders are courteous and dont present a problem to motorists. It's the pack of 3-20 Tour De France wannabes that seem to be the problem. I live in a rural area. When weathers decent I see two to five riders a week at most on the road. These guys move over to the shoulder and cause no trouble. Now come the weekend, forget about it, the packs are out and they do in fact take up the whole lane because they wanna chat with their buddies. I'm sorry hikers know single file on roadways, how come bikers cant do same?

I'm sorry hikers know single file on roadways, how come bikers cant do same?

The law actually adresses this. They really shouldn't be riding more than two abreast. Most serious "Tour de France wannabes" plan rides on rural, low traffic roads to minimize any impact on traffic. FYI, most of the time they are are probably riding in a "paceline." This is when two lines of riders constantly rotate so that no one rider is constantly in the wind. Used properly, this technique actually increases the average speed of the group considerably (bringing them closer to the average speed of traffic). They shouldn't have to be more than two abreast to do this. As a matter of fact, the narrower the group, the more they are shielded from cross-winds. If it's really causing you a problem you could always call your local LE office and technically the riders could be ticketed for riding more than two abreast. I'd like to think you've got something better to do with your time than to worry about people getting traffic tickets. Kind of reminds me of old folks lobbying for more speed bumps in their neighborhood. I have to admit though, it certainly is a better response than some of the others in this thread.

Edited by JReedEsq

I've spent way too much time responding to this thread in the last few days. My last post probably told you guys more about cycling than you are interested in knowing. However, I feel it sometimes helps if people know more about things they aren't informed of. Like, for instance that people may be riding a certain way to go faster, not just to chat or try to block the road. I'm really amazed at some of the responses on this thread. While most drivers are courteous to cyclists, I'm not at all surprised that there are cowardly a-holes out there that advocate throwing things. What is surprising, is that some people think that if they don't understand someone's hobby, and that hobby makes them scared or uncomfortable, then we need the government to tax and regulate it. Please, do us all a favor and stay out of politics.

what astounds me is the portrayal that the speed LIMIT is the speed MINIMUM. 55MPH means at not time can you legally exceed that speed, no where does it mentions you cant go less. I ride about 15-20mph depending on my current condition and road grade. Most of you drive slower for longer distances through school zones and dont throw bottles and honk at the little kiddies. after reading this thread since my last post, my blood pressure is up. Too bad I cant got hit the road today!

I feel it sometimes helps if people know more about things they aren't informed of.

this^^

you changed my outlook on it if it makes you feel any better. Lack of information can cause a lot of unfortunate decisions. An example would be people who hate guns. I would bet a good majority do so because they are just uneducated about the matter.

The problem with bikes and automobiles is that people are in control of them. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry these days; laws and respect go out the window.

I've seen cars swerve near cyclists. I've also personally known one cyclist that was hit with a thrown beer bottle - he showed us the big bruise down his back the next week at the office.

I have also see bikes riding along in the lane (on a four lane) until they came to a stop light with a line of cars in both lanes. They then rode down the middle of the two lines of cars and swerved over in front of one the cars when they got to the front of the line. Once the light turned green, they resumed riding in the middle of their lane. I've also seen bikes go from street to sidewalk and back whenever its convenient for them. I think many people have seen this type of behavior and it is what they remember when seeing a cyclist.

Basically, there are motorists and bicyclists that don't deserve to be on the road. If you see one or the other doing something illegal or stupid, call the stinking law and report them. Just make sure you do it from your cell phone while driving in traffic! :rolleyes:

I've seen cars swerve near cyclists. I've also personally known one cyclist that was hit with a thrown beer bottle - he showed us the big bruise down his back the next week at the office.

When I was a cop that would have been Aggravated Battery. I would have talked to the States Attorney and made sure that any “deal†involved prison time. A person that would throw a bottle from a moving car at a bicyclist or pedestrian is no different than a person that would shoot someone in a road rage incident. They need to go to prison.

When I was a cop that would have been Aggravated Battery. I would have talked to the States Attorney and made sure that any “deal” involved prison time. A person that would throw a bottle from a moving car at a bicyclist or pedestrian is no different than a person that would shoot someone in a road rage incident. They need to go to prison.

Oh I agree, whoever did that should have been arrested on the spot. Unfortunately, no cops were around (maybe they were all manning the Nashville speed traps :rolleyes:). The person that got hit didn't get the plates so there wasn't much he could do. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured - just bruised and scraped up.

Guest Piney

Recently sold my road bike due to the increase in swerving drivers and items being thrown my way while out on the roads of middle tennessee. Working at a hospital and seeing accident victims coming in drove me back to fat tire bikes that can be ridden on the side walk. You might check out the article in the link below...I've bought ammo from this accident victim. A supporter of gun folks just trying to get out and get some exercise.

Collision with dump truck seriously injures cyclist | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Guest KCSTEVE
Recently sold my road bike due to the increase in swerving drivers and items being thrown my way while out on the roads of middle tennessee. Working at a hospital and seeing accident victims coming in drove me back to fat tire bikes that can be ridden on the side walk. You might check out the article in the link below...I've bought ammo from this accident victim. A supporter of gun folks just trying to get out and get some exercise.

Collision with dump truck seriously injures cyclist | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

After reading this, how could somebody think that riding out in traffic is safer that riding far right, out of the way of a dump truck?

After reading this, how could somebody think that riding out in traffic is safer that riding far right, out of the way of a dump truck?

You must not have read any of my posts. There of lots of times when there isn't sufficient space to pass. Instead of risking being forced off the road by some jackhole trying to sqeeze by, the cyclist has to take up a little bit of space and let drivers pass when there isn't oncoming traffic. The fact that you blame the cyclist is absolutely disgusting.

You don't have the slightest idea where the rider was riding, or where the truck was, or anything. You don't even know if the truck was moving or stationary or the rider was moving. But everything can be twisted to fit your agenda, can't it?

Guest KCSTEVE
You don't have the slightest idea where the rider was riding, or where the truck was, or anything. You don't even know if the truck was moving or stationary or the rider was moving. But everything can be twisted to fit your agenda, can't it?

No agenda here....... I ride but, I've never been run over.......I try to stay out of the way of traffic.

I have heard the sound a coke bottle makes as it whistles by, I've heard "SOB" fade in the distance to many times to count.

Someone said that the shoulder was unsafe, I don't see it that way. Just that, nothing else.

23mm.

That is the width of my tire. It does not take much to puncture it. I stay just on the left side of the white line. The only time I get in the middle of the road is if I am turning left across traffic. I stop at stop signs. I stop for red lights. I obey the traffic laws. Stop generalizing.

Guest KCSTEVE
23mm.

I stop at stop signs. I stop for red lights. I obey the traffic laws.

I do the same but, my thought is I would rather take a nail over a dump truck any day!

I don't get flats that often. When I do its an easy fix compared to a broken pelvis like that poor guy regardless of whose fault it was.

I would hope that people don't intensionally run over other people but, I'm gonna stay out of their way, just in case.

What were we told when we first started ridding a bicycle? STAY OUT OF THE ROAD AND WATCH FOR CARS!!!!

Edited by KCSTEVE
Judging from comments from both sides of this issue, looks like the world revolves around whichever side you're taking. I'd say BOTH sides could benefit from a little respect from each other.

I challenge you to show me where I've been disrespctful to anyone other than those inciting violence and lawlessness. I've stated over and over I don't advocate bolcking the road, I've encouraged understanding, and I've only stated I will not be a helpless victim. How is that disrespectful?

I challenge you to show me where I've been disrespctful to anyone other than those inciting violence and lawlessness. I've stated over and over I don't advocate bolcking the road, I've encouraged understanding, and I've only stated I will not be a helpless victim. How is that disrespectful?

Guilty conscience, or overly defensive? I challenge you to show me where I mentioned you specifically.

You have though, made several snarky comments about "taking up 5-7 seconds of your life". While not violent comments such as some others on here, it's certainly not healthy debate or swaying anyone's opinion.

Let me edit this to say I read that comment as your 5-7 seconds of bike riding is more important than their 5-7 seconds of transit time. Text, though, is not a very good conveyor of inflection.

Edited by Good_Steward

I say 5-7 seconds, because I'm literally talking about 5-7 seconds! WTF! We're talking about putting someone's life at risk because someone can't wait a few seconds to pass and that's snarky? Somehow that's in the same league as someone who says "they deserve" to get things thrown at them, or someone who refers to cyclists as "douches"? I'm sorry, but I don't plan to be a victim, and I won't stop until I make sure someone who treats me that way is no longer HCP eligible. I guess your the kind of guy who'd help carry your flat-screen out for someone robbing your house? Hate to be rude right?

Edited by JReedEsq

ROFL, how did I miss this thread... couple of invites incoming to the TGO cycling group we have. I ride several times a weak, on sparsely populated roadways mostly, please don't hit me with a bottle in the c-spine area - that kills...:doh: If someone throws something at me i'm hiring JReed :)

While not violent comments such as some others on here, it's certainly not healthy debate or swaying anyone's opinion.

I call a**hole where I see a**hole, and there are a lot of 'em in this thread on both sides of the fence, including yourself.

so your idea of a healthy debate is calling him an a**hole? Interesting