WD-40 is the best!

Guest GunTroll

I'll add a couple more to the list. I use synthetic ATF for most of the light duty lubrication tasks and High pressure lithium bearing grease for the Garand. ATF is excellent for keeping things slick and corrosion free and a lot cheaper than any of the "Gun" oils. When it comes down to it. Oil is oil and there are only so many ways to formulate it. None of the gun oils do anything that cannot be done by a whole bunch of other stuff.

Good article on the subject here: Gun Oil Tests

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

I'm not changing my tune but too much of any oil/grease will give unsatisfactory results. WD-40 is still a no go on guns for me.

I've been asked what I use and felt hesitant to say some of the things I've used or currently use in fear of not sounding up to date with the current gun rags articles on the new miracle gun oil. I will keep old faithfuls out on the counter for prying eyes but I keep the good stuff "behind" the counter. Glad to know that there are also unconventional lubricators out there in TN.

Too throw one more in the mix, I use Royal Purple 20-50, only because I have a half a quart left over every time I change the oil in my motorcycle. I get a couple of syringes with some large needles (forget what gauge, the biggest they sell) and they work great for lube. I throw one in my range box and one on my work bench, Half a quart goes a long way. Use it on my 1911's, Glock's and all other firearms.

EEZOX hands down cleans and lubes better than any other oil I have found. Leaves the barrel absolutely spotless and shiny. Also, use hoppes #9 gun grease on the slide rails. The Springfield XD has over 1200 rounds of various types of 40 ammo and has never had a problem. I used to use rem oil previously and found that eezox cleans and lubes so much better.

We spend all sorts of money on guns, ammo and accessories, what's a few bucks for proper lubrication? EEzox was designed for firearms, and is absolutely the best rust prevention; just do a search to confirm. There is no doubt that about any product will work if one cleans after any range work, but I use the EEZOX for all aspects of cleaning and have quit all other products.

Guest bkelm18
We spend all sorts of money on guns, ammo and accessories, what's a few bucks for proper lubrication? EEzox was designed for firearms, and is absolutely the best rust prevention; just do a search to confirm. There is no doubt that about any product will work if one cleans after any range work, but I use the EEZOX for all aspects of cleaning and have quit all other products.

Mobile 1 seems to properly lubricate my engine for millions of RPMs. :up:

Do you know where the gun oil factory is?

Mike

! would never, never use WD-40 on any firearm . WD 40 dries up and is gone leave bear metal.

on motor oil i only use Mobil 1 0-20 in my Bennilli shotgun action in winter shooting light loads,

Guest tnxdshooter
Mobile 1 seems to properly lubricate my engine for millions of RPMs. :)

I use mobile 1 on my vehicles and change the oil every 12,000 miles and the oil still looks new when it is changed but I prefer and swear by eezox and noone will ever change my mind in that regard.

Guest pfries

I use synthetic power steering fluid for oil and white lithium on slide rails; I am currently toying with the idea of making my own solvents.

Guest pfries

I use a 75/25 mix of Kroil and Hoppes. I keep an olive jar full and drop barrels and bolts in it to soak while I clean the rest of the firearm.

Thanks.

Does this break up the copper build up as well?

Thanks.

Does this break up the copper build up as well?

pfries:___________

I use kroil too. But i use it in place of hoppes. If you let the barrel sit a few minutes, the kroil will penetrate under the fouling and make it turn loose (...kroil is an excellent, high quality penetrating oil...). I've seen small slivers of lead turn loose in revolver barrels after the barrels sit a few minutes. kroil is good stuff. So is hoppes. I never thought of mixing them together.

Hope this helps.

leroy

These days about the only thing that I shoot jacketed bullets thru is my AR-15. I try not to go extended periods with out cleaning but if I do I will use Shooters Choice with a brush and patches to get after the copper. I then follow with my Kroil/Hoppes mix to get that other solvent out of the bore.

try Slip2000 products...

SLiP2000â„¢ - Official Site

amazing stuff. don't know the formula and all that, but my experience is very positive. DOD seems to like it as well and they have a contract with the DOD.

There are so many good products out there indeed. this one is somewhat unique in that it is non petrolium based. it DOES NOT cook off...

being the skeptic that i am, i repeated the test they refer to in their website.

SLiP2000â„¢ - Testimonials

My experience was identical to theirs:

after running identical guns hard and hot and putting up dirty, after 90 days, the CLP gun was inoperable (100%locked up) and had to be disassembled (rammed open and surfaces were rusted from no protection)

the SLIP2000 EWL gun opened, and ran flawlessly and wiped clean.

I repeated this side by side test with numerous other top o the line lubes (i did not use any non-gun products however, but think it would be interesting... HEY! somebody do this... i don't have time right now)

round count, ROF, and ammo manufacturer were identical in every test.

I also tested the same batch of lubes for saltwater corrosion protection on standard high carbon cold rolled steel stock. the steel was stripped and then each oil applied to a test area. the steel was misted with a typical seawater salt solution and allowed to air dry. the stock was placed in a covered area, outside for exposure to ambient temp and humidity (30 day test averages: 73 degrees F, and 85% humidity) for thirty days (summer in the southeast!)

Rust appeared on all product test zones. SLIP2000 EWL had the least and was the easiest to wipe off. Others faired well. Many of the hotshot products did not. WD40 sucked. This test was not a test of anything except corrosion resistence. no heat was applied to the test plate. nor did this test account for the age of each product since produced. each one was simply pulled off the shelf.

I did not photograph the test and all my notes are somewhere packed after the move... if i find them i'll post them. if not, maybe i can repeat it sometime.

i've tried a ton of different lubes, and i'm sure there is an absolute "best" or one that excells in the important areas, but until i or someone can objectively test them all for a multitude of virtues including durability/lubricity/corrosion resistance/thermal stability/etc..., opinion and personal experience is all any of us have.

I find the friction test posted earlier interesting: Gun Oil Tests

and while the test was performed nearly 10 years ago, it proves that in a wet state, WD40 was the slickest as evidenced by having the lowest angle of elevation for it to move on the test track (15 deg.) Meaningful to the gun owner?? not really. i still wouldn't use it on a firearm.

all of this is fascinating stuff and this entire discourse is, of course, just my experience, and my humble opinion...

I'm very interested in what others have done to test products. Seat of the pants is cool, and the proof in the pudding works too, but objective testing with control groups in place is most interesting to me...

crash~

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Tromix recommended "Broken Arrow" lubricant and it has worked great on every gun I own for not only cleaning, and lubing, but also rust preventation/removal (from ones I traded for that had freckles). I love synthetic motor oil, but wonder if the open air of being on a gun would affect it since it is in a "contained environment" when running through a car's engine(unless of course you have a rear main pouring...but I digress).

Guest nicemac

RE:"I wouldn't use WD as a gun lube but it (and similar brands) is the best thing available to protect against rust."

WD-40 is horrible at protecting against rust. I have tried to use it for years on metal tools. It will never last a year. I had a hand plane a couple of years ago that I sprayed with WD-40. After six months in the shop, I pulled it out to use it and it was covered in surface rust.

If you really want to protect against rust, use Boeshield. I got this stuff a couple of years ago when I was whining to the guys at Woodcraft about cast-iron tool tables rusting. I have sprayed the tops of my table saw, bandsaw, etc… for the past several years–no signs of rust. For the first time in my life, I feel I have real rust protection.

Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

Something I have seen WD-40 used for that it worked well for: Dirt track race crews will spray their cars down before heats when the track is wet to prevent the heavy mud from sticking to the car during a race. It keeps the weight down.

Guest GunTroll
Something I have seen WD-40 used for that it worked well for: Dirt track race crews will spray their cars down before heats when the track is wet to prevent the heavy mud from sticking to the car during a race. It keeps the weight down.

:) I can see that working