Gatlinburg vacation?

Guest Kamikaze

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only places I have personally noticed in the Gatlinburg area that are victim disarmament zones are the official welcome centers/visitor's centers or whatever they call them and Ober Gatlinburg. Remember in the National Park that federally operated buildings where employees are present are generally supposed to be off limits for carry but they are also supposed to post if my understanding is correct.

Guest Kamikaze

I have 3 small children and I would love to take them to the aquarium. Hopefully they won't be posted. I'll make a list while I am there.

I have 3 small children and I would love to take them to the aquarium. Hopefully they won't be posted. I'll make a list while I am there.

Aquarium is posted. I distinctly remember the gun buster sign from my last visit.

Interesting thought about that place.. Think about the tanks... Wonder if they could take a shot without rupturing? Imagining the underwater walkway thing suddenly being in the water..Creepy.

Anyway, even though it is posted, your kids will absolutely love it if you take them. Definitely a must see attraction.

When was this? When I was there in July/August of last year I searched everywhere for a gunbuster sign and never saw one.

It's rather dumb..and actually isn't a legal posting I suppose. It's on the wall just after you walk in (past the turnstyle). Kind of mid way up the wall. Not really at eye level even. You have to look up to see it unless you're 8ft tall or so...

My last visit was just over a year ago.

Interesting thought about that place.. Think about the tanks... Wonder if they could take a shot without rupturing? Imagining the underwater walkway thing suddenly being in the water..Creepy.

A handgun round likely wouldn't penetrate the tunnel. I believe it's 4" thick acrylic. A high powered rifle is another story. And yes, the potential for disaster is considerable.

Also go see the Titanic exhibit, it's quite good.

Guest friesepferd

Last time I was there, the aquarium was posted. Most places are not, but keep your eyes open.

The aquarium is, however, the best I have ever seen. It's not often I will put up my gun to go somewhere, but that's one of them.

The only places I have personally noticed in the Gatlinburg area that are victim disarmament zones are the official welcome centers/visitor's centers or whatever they call them and Ober Gatlinburg. Remember in the National Park that federally operated buildings where employees are present are generally supposed to be off limits for carry but they are also supposed to post if my understanding is correct.

I believe you're wrong on that.

ALL federal buildings are automatically no carry zones.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you're wrong on that.

ALL federal buildings are automatically no carry zones.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They are automatic no carry zones, but they are supposed to post that they are federal buildings per federal law as well. 18 USC Sec. 930(h)

United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

I've only been to the Gatlinburg Aquarium once, and I was personally unimpressed with it.

The one in Chattanooga is much better.

The Gatlinburg Aquarium seems to be set up more for kids. The Chattanooga one is still kid-friendly but not as kid oriented and I also like it much better. But I'm biased...

Guest bkelm18

Ripley's Aquarium vs. the Tennessee Aquarium is apples and oranges really. Ripley's is more of a "Wow look at that" type place geared towards kids. The TN Aquarium is more of an educational setting.

Ripley's Aquarium vs. the Tennessee Aquarium is apples and oranges really. Ripley's is more of a "Wow look at that" type place geared towards kids. The TN Aquarium is more of an educational setting.

That's the comparison I was trying to say. Also note that the Tennessee Aquarium is non-profit, Ripley's isn't.

*shrug*

nothing wrong with people making some money

Agreed, I didn't intend a negative connotation. Just supporting the point that the TN Aquarium is more educationally oriented.

And if you like penguins, the Knoxville Zoo and TN Aquarium both also have penguin exhibits. The Newport Aquarium near Cincinnati also has a "shark tube".

I live up around that neck of the woods and carry most everywhere, however being a local I'm not in the touristy places all that much. I've not been to a restaurant or store yet that is posted. I carry in the GSMNP other than the buildings with no problem at all. Enjoy your trip and welcome to the Great Smoky Mountains!

Guest HvyMtl

Mostly not a problem. Just make sure you have a gun safe for the car, and possibly for the hotel room. Do watch for gunbuster signs, and let us know where you find them. I also suggest looking at the thread about where places have posted, as a few restaurants up there do not deserve our well earned $.

There are a few good hotels in the area. If you want best bang for buck hotel, the Pigeon Forge Red Roof is good (specifically as for the bottom floor, they are most roomy and some have private decks.) Also, the Bearskin Lodge is great in Gatlinburg (more expensive, but clean.) Zoder's Best Western (just in Gatlinburg) was good, too, but I havent been able to stay there recently.

If im not mistaken Calhouns and the Brewery are posted, but havent been in there in awhile. I know for a fact the Alamo is posted. Bennets Bar-B-Q is owned by the same people so it probaly is as well . Overall tho, there are very few places in G-burg posted. I only spend 40+ hours a week there and rarely see anything.