Police Officer Killed in Chattanooga

Police Sergeant Killed Responding To Robbery In Brainerd; 2nd Officer Hit

Incident Happened At Pawn Shop Near Big Lots And Rib And Loin On Brainerd Road

posted April 2, 2011

A Chattanooga police sergeant was killed while responding to a robbery at a pawn shop in Brainerd on Saturday morning.

A second city police officer was shot, but the bullet deflected off the vest he was wearing.

The robber was wounded during the gunfire and was taken to Erlanger Hospital. He was under heavy guard.

The officer who was killed was shot in the head when confronting the robber.

The officers were responding to a robbery at the U.S. Money Shops near Big Lots. The location is behind the Rib and Loin Restaurant in the 5900 block of Brainerd Road.

An employee of the Rib and Loin said shots were fired around 10:42 a.m. Employees of Big Lots also told of hearing gunshots.

A host of police officers quickly converged on the scene, including city officers and those from the sheriff's department.

A wide area was taped off ranging from near the South Chickamauga Creek bridge to beyond East Brainerd Road.

Police spokesperson Jerri Weary released this statement shortly after noon, "Chattanooga Police are currently on the scene at 5900 Brainerd Road where an officer has been shot and killed.

"Police responded to U.S Money Shops next to Big Lots on a robbery from business call around 10:30 this morning. Immediately when officers arrived, they encountered one male suspect who began firing at police. A gun battle and foot pursuit ensued and at least one officer was shot and killed during the gun fight.

"The suspect was shot at least once and has been taken to a local hospital where he is being treated. This is all preliminary information."

Taken from The chattanoogan.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pawn shop is one of those that employees are forbidden from carrying handguns unlike most other pawn shops. This did happen in a questionable part of town. Its one of those areas that you wouldn't think twice about going there especially during the day time but might be a little cautious at night. Eleven years ago I had a friend from childhood get shot dead in that exact same parking lot. His death was related to standing up to a guy that had been giving his sister some trouble, or so I was told.

That store is on one of my walks when I visit Mom down there, have popped in any number of times to browse.

They don't take in or sell guns, btw, not that that makes any diff; I'm sure the thieves were after cash and/or gold.

No way to prove it, but all this increase of LEO deaths in last two years (that they just had the D.C. conference with Holder about) just has to be due at least somewhat to the downturn in the economy, and hence the increase in desperate folks thinking they'll just turn pro.

- OS

I was at their sister store here in Cleveland about that same time. I wouldn't have thought about something like that happening at almost midday on a Saturday, but I guess it just goes to show that you never know when you will need to be ready to defend yourself!

A Questionable part of town?! Its not that bad, not the scrubbed clean "tourists here, dont stray from this sector" area but its a long shot from crackhouse row downtown or gang central on the north side. Its an average area, really, which goes to show how bad chattanooga is starting to get.

I hate to hear the LEOs were shot, and am glad they caught the guy, but I WANT TO SEE THIS LEVEL OF RESPONSE WHEN US NORMAL FOLKS GET SHOT TOO.

A Questionable part of town?! Its not that bad, not the scrubbed clean "tourists here, dont stray from this sector" area but its a long shot from crackhouse row downtown or gang central on the north side. Its an average area, really,...

Yup, I've never thought of that part of Brainerd as being "bad" at all. I trek from mall/Gunbarrel to there and past, walk the levee over to Fort Jordan, and even the other way over to Wilcox. Sometimes the railroad tracks from E. Brainerd road up past Alhambra Temple hill over to Ft. Jordan that way, etc. Never the first hint of probs.

Interestingly, though, as a comment on the times, last year, and I mean for pretty much a whole year, there was a small tent city on the west bank of Chickamauga creek just down from Sir Gooney Golf/Hooters, and the city obviously just let it be. But it disappeared last summer, so I guess they finally decided to roust everyone. There's often a tent or two right under Brainerd road there at the levee trail, too, but that's usually folks traveling.

Point is, times are tough, and I think we've still not seen anything yet.

- OS

Guest Obscure Major

My sincere condolences for the family of the slain officer. They should take the offender out and execute them in the most humane way. Crime in Chattanooga is only going to get worse with the increase in "Gang" activities. The economy isn't helping either. I am very cautious where I travel and always on guard, Remember the Police are minutes away when seconds count.

Guest rebeldrummer
this sucks. I'm tired of reading these stories.

This

no appeal process for this SOB, try him and hang him

And this

Guest goomba

I wonder what the "mayor's" response to this will be.

The mayor is a pansy little B**CH. the entire CPD is pissed at him. He'll make some stupid remark, as usual. I just hope he keeps his mouth shut until after the Officers funeral.

The mayor is a pansy little B**CH. the entire CPD is pissed at him. He'll make some stupid remark, as usual. I just hope he keeps his mouth shut until after the Officers funeral.

I thought y'all recalled that sucker Littlefield. That failed somehow though, didn't it?

- OS

RIP Sgt. James Timothy Chapin ... a couple of years ago, he donated a kidney to a fellow officer that was dying of kidney disease.

Quote from the Chattanoogan:

The robber, who is reportedly from Colorado, was wounded during the gunfire and was taken to Erlanger Hospital. He was under heavy guard.

Sources said the robber is a violent inmate from Colorado who is an escape artist.

Sources said the robber was wearing a Kevlar bullet-proof vest during the shootout, which protected him from numerous bullets fired at him by half a dozen officers who had hurried to the robbery scene in Brainerd.

However, one shot was outside the vest area and has left him in a coma, sources said.

I also was at the Cleveland Pawn store this morning, I refuse to go to Chattanooga unless I absolutely have to because it is a cesspool.

I spend my money where I feel safe ...

Guest goomba
Sgt. James Timothy Chapin ... a couple of years ago, he donated a kidney to a fellow officer that was dying of kidney disease.

It was the officer that was wounded (who should be released later tonight) that gave the kidney to a fellow officer.

A second city police officer, Lorin Johnston, was shot, but the bullet deflected off the vest he was wearing, sources said. Officer Johnston in 2007 was the Exchange Club's Officer of the Year after he donated a kidney to a fellow officer with kidney disease
Guest goomba
I thought y'all recalled that sucker Littlefield. That failed somehow though, didn't it?

- OS

yeah. apparently there is a difference between state law & what the HC election committee told the people try to recall old ron.

right now you could probably speed past a CPD officer and NOT get a ticket.... but I wouldn't try it.

Possibly some cathartic news. Rumor has it that the perp took at least one round to the penis.

Just drove past the area about an hour ago. They've got the whole block taped off, with multiple officers at each entrance. Couple of mobile crime scene vans, it looks like. And the parking lot lit up with portable lights.

Are they seriously still working the crime scene, or are they just making a scene? I do sympathize with Sgt. Chapin's family--both kin, and professional--but it's Saturday night in a city that's been seeing a pretty high level of violence, lately. There's work to be done, gentlemen...

I hate to hear this; both for this policeman's family and the community. Have family in Chattnooga and pretty well know where this happened. Chattanooga (....and most other urban areas...) all have the same problem; codling criminals and putting them in time out.

Prayers for the family.

leroy