Police Officer Killed in Chattanooga

I hate to hear the LEOs were shot, and am glad they caught the guy, but I WANT TO SEE THIS LEVEL OF RESPONSE WHEN US NORMAL FOLKS GET SHOT TOO.

This level of response is normal for an armed robbery. If your not happy with the response given to "NORMAL FOLKS" then make a career change and stick your neck out everyday for them. I'm sure they'll be grateful you came out to change things.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This level of response is normal for an armed robbery. If your not happy with the response given to "NORMAL FOLKS" then make a career change and stick your neck out everyday for them. I'm sure they'll be grateful you came out to change things.

Right on! Any of you "NORMAL FOLKS" want to go out and risk your life for ungrateful strangers everyday are welcome to do so. I feel that CPD does the best job that they can with the personnel and resources they are given.

The shooter is reported as being in a coma.

Read here for the time line of events.

4/3/2011 - Police Say Colorado Parolee Jesse Mathews Fired Shot That Killed Sgt. Chapin, Injured Officer Johnston - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

I thought y'all recalled that sucker Littlefield. That failed somehow though, didn't it?

- OS

Recalled twice, actually. He has a good attorney and the city council in his pocket.

Guest Archminister01
RIP Sgt. James Timothy Chapin ... a couple of years ago, he donated a kidney to a fellow officer that was dying of kidney disease.

Quote from the Chattanoogan:

I also was at the Cleveland Pawn store this morning, I refuse to go to Chattanooga unless I absolutely have to because it is a cesspool.

I spend my money where I feel safe ...

Kind of an stuck up attitude there fella. I live in that cesspool. Guess that makes me a bad person along with all of the rest of the cesspool folks swimming around over here. Its funny how living in certain areas affects ones attitude..somehow it empowers folks to feel so superior. How does it feel to be a snob? Anywhere a man makes his home its his castle. Please dont judge because you never know what tomorrow may bring and your pretentious self may be living in one of those cesspool areas. I have been here for almost a year now and I dont feel any less safe than I have living anywhere else. As far as I am concerned and human living anywhere is capable of doing violence to another person.

I am sorry for the tragic loss of another fine officer that chose to stand the front line in our city against crime. I am in agreement that we have only begun to see bad things happen..it is very unfortunate.

I don't live in the Brainerd area, but I don't think it is all that bad. I have no problem with being in the area at anytime of the day. In regards to being a "cesspool" and not "feel(ing) safe," there are a lot worse places in the city and in the state that surpass Brainerd.

Ever since I started carrying and practiced a lot, I feel pretty safe anywhere I go.

Sorry to hear about the officer. Very tragic.

They do not want my help, I do not have the patience or disposition to be a cop, you have to be nearly a saint to put up with the crap they do. I have no problem with the job they do in general and appreciate their hard work very much -- the recent crackdown was a great start toward cleaning up the city a bit. And I still say that a 24 hour (roughly, last I heard they were still there this morning) shutdown of the entire block with some 20 cops is the biggest response I have seen for a case where the shooter was in custody (and about normal for cases where the guy is on the run and they are looking for him). My neighbor was attacked in a home invasion (no one was killed thankfully, but still) and we got 2 police cars worth of response that lasted about 3 hours. That is what I would call a typical response to an armed robbery.

They do not want my help, I do not have the patience or disposition to be a cop, you have to be nearly a saint to put up with the crap they do. I have no problem with the job they do in general and appreciate their hard work very much -- the recent crackdown was a great start toward cleaning up the city a bit. And I still say that a 24 hour (roughly, last I heard they were still there this morning) shutdown of the entire block with some 20 cops is the biggest response I have seen for a case where the shooter was in custody (and about normal for cases where the guy is on the run and they are looking for him). My neighbor was attacked in a home invasion (no one was killed thankfully, but still) and we got 2 police cars worth of response that lasted about 3 hours. That is what I would call a typical response to an armed robbery.

I would suggest that you may not know how many Officers responded. We would send a bunch of Officers to a home invasion or armed robbery. But unless the dirt bags are in custody there is one place that we were pretty sure we would not find them; at the scene.

A person is dead. It’s too bad that you feel he got too much attention. From personal experience I can assure you that if you were a Police officer you would give it more attention if a friend or family member was killed. That is human nature.

I would suggest that you may not know how many Officers responded. We would send a bunch of Officers to a home invasion or armed robbery. But unless the dirt bags are in custody there is one place that we were pretty sure we would not find them; at the scene.

A person is dead. It’s too bad that you feel he got too much attention. From personal experience I can assure you that if you were a Police officer you would give it more attention if a friend or family member was killed. That is human nature.

You misunderstood entirely. I said it would be great if every shooting got that level of response, not that this one got too much, I *never* said it was too much. And, you agreed with me, and I agree with you: its human nature, and they gave a better response for that reason, enough said.

Your response doesn't make sense. Your are comparing apples to oranges. You complain that your neighbor only got two officers to respond to an ARMED ROBBERY. I dont think that the entire CPD was in route to the pawn shop when it was still only an ARMED ROBBERY. Things change when shots are fired and an officer gets wounded or killed. I can assure you that if your neighbor had been shot and the offender was still there shooting at people, he too would have had more than just two officers respond.

Anyone who thinks that this part of Brainerd Road is a bad part of town has surely lived a sheltered life. As for the guy who lives in Ooltewah and hates Chattanooga, I live in Ooltewah and you are fooling yourself if you dont think this sort of thing could not happen there or anywhere else. That nice new liquor store by the pretty new Publix could have just as easily been this guys target. Just 2 weeks ago the new Bilo out near Apison was held up, all the employees were tied up. That took place in a very upscale part of the Chattanooga area, most houses near that store are range from $300K up into the millions. My point is its everywhere and you have to watch your back. I'm sure everyone that lives in Memphis is tired of people saying their entire city is a crap hole too.

He just served 8yrs on a 20yr sentence for another armed robbery. Someone thought it was a good idea to parole him.

AND had already done robbery in CO since release before coming here. Wonder how many more along the way?

- OS

Guest RevScottie

Now an article on Chattanoogan.com makes this statement:

A witness said it appeared that Mathews was firing what are called "cop-killer bullets"

I wonder how a witness determined this?

Same article claims that Mathews went to a secondary gun and used it to kill the officer as the officer attempted to tase him?? Sounds like they thought they had disarmed the guy but he pulled out a second gun.

I have a good friend who patrols the Brainerd area and it is definitely a high crime area.

AND had already done robbery in CO since release before coming here. Wonder how many more along the way?

- OS

Yet another perfect example of our completely failed "justice" system...anyone who commits a violent crime and especially with a weapon needs to be in jail until he is either taking the dirt nap or at least until he is so old that he can never again be a threat to another human being. If we actually treated violent criminals the way they deserved to be treated our "need" to carry a firearm would almost be moot.

Guest Chattanoogan

I grief for the loss of one of Chattanooga's finest, especially since he was eligible for retirement and was still working, he didn't have to be there, but he was, probably one of those guys that actually loved his job and making a difference in the community. May God bless his soul and his family!

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. - John 15:13

On another note, I hold CPD in higher regard than East Ridge Police (A suburb of Chattanooga). I live in East Ridge, and report all suspicious activity in my neighborhood to police, they never show up. One night around 8pm a black male knocked on my door, I wasn't home, my mother answered the door and my dog (A german shepard) started barking, the man was trying to sell some crystal candle holders saying he needed money for medicine, because he had gout in his leg. He asked my mother if the dog would bite and she said "He might, if I tell him too". He promptly left. Of course my dog wouldn't hurt a fly... The next day on the news, it was reported that the house at the end of our street was invaded approximately 20 minutes after my mom's little incident. Somebody had forced there way in the house when the lady answered and robbed the home of this elderly lady and got away. The news said to call the police if you had any information, we called, told them about what happened here, and they thought it wasn't important enough to follow up on.

Edited by Chattanoogan

According to the news the BG's bullets shattered, so they must be exotic (what? Any bullets can shatter hitting steel as it said they were shot into steel) ... it didnt make a lot of sense. I am wondering if its one of those little armor piercing 5.7 caliber guns? It went thru a 1/4 steel wall, so they said, but that could be a number of normal gun types.

I think that is what they are going to find, a high velocity pistol of some sort, 22 mag, 5.7, maybe a hot 357 sig load. 7 shots so it wasnt a standard revolver. No one seems to have seen the second gun. I don't expect home-made AP ammo, but you never know, its always possible.

Suspect had on a vest as well.

What a mess. Poor guy thought he was unarmed and tried to do the right thing with a taser... makes it worse somehow, if possible.

Kind of an stuck up attitude there fella. I live in that cesspool. Guess that makes me a bad person along with all of the rest of the cesspool folks swimming around over here. Its funny how living in certain areas affects ones attitude..somehow it empowers folks to feel so superior. How does it feel to be a snob? Anywhere a man makes his home its his castle. Please dont judge because you never know what tomorrow may bring and your pretentious self may be living in one of those cesspool areas. I have been here for almost a year now and I dont feel any less safe than I have living anywhere else. As far as I am concerned and human living anywhere is capable of doing violence to another person.

I am sorry for the tragic loss of another fine officer that chose to stand the front line in our city against crime. I am in agreement that we have only begun to see bad things happen..it is very unfortunate.

Funny you took the post so seriously ...

My office is in Chattanooga, three quarters of my clients are in chattanooga ... there is no arrogance on my part by making that statement nor is there any sense of superiority. In fact, I have a fair number of my clients that agree with the assessment.

What that statement is based on is fear ... founded or unfounded ... who cares? It comes from driving certain streets after dark helping some clients out. It comes from stopping at a red light and seeing people moving to your car because I am the wrong color to be in that neighborhood. Red light be damned, I just stepped on the gas and got the hell out of there.

See ... Mayor Littlefield says that Chattanooga does not have a gang problem ... says so on the newspapers and internets ... so it must be true. /sarcasm

The point that I am trying to make without offending your sensibilities is that I CHOOSE to do my business where I don't have to worry about predatory animals, predatory tow truck drivers and non-existant gang members. It is not because I am better or above these people. Chattanooga now ranks ninth in dangerous cities. The cops know it, the newspapers know it, heck, the citizens know it.

The problem areas are clearly defined in the TFP website; http://www.timesfreepress.com/content/right2know/

The overwhelming majority of people in the city of Chattanooga and their suburbs are honest, law-abiding citizens who are watching a great city lose its grasp on crime.

My attitude and decision came about one day last fall, when I picked up a couple of spent bullets in my office parking lot ... not shell casings ... spent bullets.

As long as Littlefield and his little coterie stays in place feuding with the police department and ticking off the tax payers with his bullying and ambush tactics ... I CHOOSE to do my business in Cleveland. Being halfway between Cleveland and Chattanooga makes it an easy decision.

I hope you now have a clearer picture why I said what I said. It certainly was not directed at you or the majority of the citizens of Chattanooga.

Edited by Currently
And I still say that a 24 hour (roughly, last I heard they were still there this morning) shutdown of the entire block with some 20 cops is the biggest response I have seen for a case where the shooter was in custody (and about normal for cases where the guy is on the run and they are looking for him). My neighbor was attacked in a home invasion (no one was killed thankfully, but still) and we got 2 police cars worth of response that lasted about 3 hours. That is what I would call a typical response to an armed robbery.

Once shots are fired and/or someone is killed the area becomes a crime scene. Starting at the pawn shop and throughout the entire area where the pursuit of the suspect took place. Ending where the suspect was taken into custody. The crime scene could easily occupy the entire city block. Everything would be photographed and then logged into evidence (shell casings, blood splatter,etc.) every round fired will be traced from the point of impact back to where it was fired from. The entire event will be carefully reconstructed. This in part due to the unwillingness of suspects to give a confession. Without this time and manpower intensive investigation there is a greater chance of losing the case.

Home invasions are typically contained inside a home where the crime scene is easier to control. The lack of outside intrusion and the weather destroying the scene are greatly reduced.

So, yeah there were probably 20 cops there after the initial response collecting evidence and processing the scene. I'm betting 2 or 3 were dispatched to the initial armed robbery call. Had there not been a homicide then I'm sure it wouldn't have been this dramatic.

On the other hand, if Colorado had denied this scumbag parole then you wouldn't be complaining.

The funeral was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Not amazing as it is commonly used these days....life changing amazing. There were almost as many people behind me. Not one word was spoken from anyone. Lots of flags. Lots of thank you signs.

I don't know how many police officers were there, but I believe that 15 states were represented. The officer sitting in front of me drove overnight from middle Florida (Orange County). The auditorium seated closed to 3000 and about half were police, fire, and military. The people lining the streets didn't even personally know the man, but were there to say thank you. There was a little boy about my son's age about midway down the parade with holding a little sign that he made that said "Thank you for you! Officer Chapin"

A very, very humbling experience that I will simply never forget.

0407011444.jpg

Just a little follow up. The perps entire family (4 or 5 members) have been arrested.

Going to be several state and federal charges. Probably several accessory charges.

Just seeing them on TV, makes me think they are just one criminal enterprise.

Mom has a homicide conviction.

I don’t know Sootch and that is the first video of his I have seen. What he feels and is describing is what most Police Officers feel when of their own falls. Especially if it is someone you work with or are friends with.

I have been accused on here for being quick to side with the Police. I do side with them when they are right or we don’t have all the information; they have earned the benefit of the doubt. I don’t deny or apologize for that; I am proud of it. I am just as quick to denounce what they do if it is wrong.

I have experienced the loss of an Officer that I worked with and was friends with. And have been sent to the hospital to guard a shooter that had just shot two Officers I was very close to (one was my training Officer). Both Officers and the shooter lived. But one of the hardest things was to watch the ER staff work on the shooter. They were crying while they saved his life. That kind of dedication is remarkable.

Sgt Tim Chapin is probably in a better place; but his family needs your prayers. SadAngel.gif

:usa: