Reloading bench in the house or in the garage?

Curious to hear where everyone has their reloading bench set up. I initially have it set up in a corner of the garage but with the warmer weather around the corner was think about the convinence (Air Conditioning) of setting it up inside. Worried about the safety aspects of it though.

Need to add that I am fairly new to reloading and already addicted. I have never had a primer go off or other mishaps I have read about. I keep a fire extinguisher next to me and safety glasses.

Edited by Dad03
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mbushell

In the living room so i can watch tv...Powder is in a firesafe in the shed...WAAAAAY out on the back of the property. I dont want to know WHAT would happen if it somehow went off. Bring in only what I need only when I need it.

In the living room so i can watch tv...Powder is in a firesafe in the shed...WAAAAAY out on the back of the property. I dont want to know WHAT would happen if it somehow went off. Bring in only what I need only when I need it.

I keep primers & powder stored in separate locations as well. Both are inside the house tho. Don't have an outside facility where I can control temp. & moisture.

It's a safe setup.

Edit to add.... in addition to the reloading bench, also have DirecTV, Computer, Verizon internet. A real

"man cave". Never have to move....unless the wife says so, of course, LOL. Pretty neat, actually.

Edited by Grunt67
I dont want to know WHAT would happen if it somehow went off.
A fire. A really intense, fast burning fire. But no explosion, unless you are storing black powder. Black powder IS an explosive. Smokeless powder IS NOT an explosive UNLESS it is stored in something that is mostly airtight. Storing smokeless powder in a strong, airtight enclosure is a bad idea(not saying that is what you are doing). As the powder burns, gases expand extremely rapidly and will find a way out of whatever is containing them- by pushing the bullet out of the cartridge and down the bore or by blowing the door off of a safe or the lid off of an ammo can.;)
Guest mrkirker

Polishing/decaping area in the garage. Actual reloading bench is in the house. Makes for a much cleaner enviornment in the reloading area.

Guest Lester Weevils

It would be more convenient in the basement, but mine is in the free-standing adjacent concrete block shop. If something is gonna burn up, would rather lose the shop than the house.