Compact 45 ACP Options

jcj

I've been thinking about picking up (yet another) 45ACP handgun. Currently I have (in .45ACP):

Springfield GI 1911

RIA Compact "Tactical" 1911

I have owned a Springfield XD45 Compact. I sold it to fund another purchase. Nothing wrong with it (I may end up buying another one).

I was giving some thought to maybe buying another "compact" .45ACP. Some reasonably priced options that come to mind:

Glock 30SF

Glock 36

Kahr CW45

S&W M&P 45 Compact

Others? Opinions on the above?

My Yugo Tokarev will be here tomorrow, but it is neither 45ACP or compact. Should be a lot of fun though. :screwy:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The M&P45c is the only weapon I own two of.

Yes, it's that good and could very possibly be the ultimate carry weapon. But you couldn't go wrong with any of the ones you've listed. The G36 is a bit small for me, but it might be perfect for someone else.

Guest 10mm4me

You need a Sig P220 carry SAS. It is compact with carry melt treatment and 6+1 capacity. It also accepts full size P220 mags. Do not buy another XD. They have a fatal design flaw. If the unecessary grip safety ever malfunctions, the slide locks up tighter than a bank vault and the gun is useless. This happens quite frequently amongst high volume shooters. This is why very few agencies have adopted it, and it is strikingly absent in competition. If they got rid of that stupid grip safety, it might be a solid platform.

The best compact .45 ever made is the Detonics CombatMaster. The smallest reliable .45 is the AMT Backup. You won't want to shoot it for fun as it's a bit of a handful. My choice is the Star PD. It's not as small as the other two, but it is slim, light, reliable, and accurate. Change buffers every 4-500 rounds and you'll never see any problems. Use only Factory magazines with any of these.

I find the small, double-stack pistols too fat in the grip to conceal properly. The polymer-framed pistols are too top-heavy for good handling. Just my $.02.

The Glock 30sf and 36 models are solid choices for sure. I have not looked at or shot a M&P 45 compact but, I have to admit after being a huge Glock fan for a long time. The S&W M&P feels Great! I wish the Glock felt that good. Also the Sig 220 carry that 10mm4me mentioned is a fine pistol.

Guest mds3d

A friend of mine has a colt new agent that he likes a lot. I have only put about 50 rounds through it but it was very nice to shoot. It is his EDC.

While I think there are some small differences, new Sig P220 Compact is essentially the old P245. Same slide as the P220 Carry, with a smaller grip.

Personally, I like the Sig 1911 C3, but it is a little more expensive than the options you listed. It is very similar to the old Colt CCO.

Of those you listed, I had a G30 that I really liked. The G36 just didn't feel right in my hand. The M&P feels really nice, but I don't have any first hand experience with them. I really like the Kahr's, but haven't shot one of their 45s.

A friend of mine has a colt new agent that he likes a lot. I have only put about 50 rounds through it but it was very nice to shoot. It is his EDC.

Saw one of those online @ Buds. If they're reliable, the Colt New Agent could be a good option I think.

Guest 10mm4me

They are now making the new agent with actual sights, instead of just the trough. If they already were great. I just noticed it today at the shop. The M&P guns are very well made and can be made very very good with APEX parts that are available.

I've been thinking about picking up (yet another) 45ACP handgun. Currently I have (in .45ACP):

Springfield GI 1911

RIA Compact "Tactical" 1911

I have owned a Springfield XD45 Compact. I sold it to fund another purchase. Nothing wrong with it (I may end up buying another one).

I was giving some thought to maybe buying another "compact" .45ACP. Some reasonably priced options that come to mind:

Glock 30SF

Glock 36

Kahr CW45

S&W M&P 45 Compact

Others? Opinions on the above?

My Yugo Tokarev will be here tomorrow, but it is neither 45ACP or compact. Should be a lot of fun though. :D

Find a used Beretta Mini Cougar in .45acp . They are gggrrreeeaaatttt ! Compact and have the rotating barrrel design.

This has been an interesting thread. I learned about some models that I never knew existed. Not to mention everyone has (so far) managed to remain 100% on topic!

Thank you all for the insight into various options!

just as an aside...I did have the Kahr CW45 for about a year and while it concealed and gripped awesome....the 45 in that package for me was just way too much gun....I saw a AMT Backup 45 at a gunshow a month ago and the memories of that Kahr are the only thing that kept me from buying it.

Guest 10mm4me
This might be heresy but I have a Taurus PT145 pro that is a really nice little 45. It is accurate, reliable, concealable and has 10+1 rounds.

He's a witch!! Burn him! Burn him!

Guest 556or762

I carry a Kahr P45 quite a bit , I love the narrow frame for IWB carry and it is an extremely accurate gun for its size. I have shot the CW45 and it is just not the same the CW series has a different barrel, slide stop, and less machining on the slide the latter of which doesnt really mean much but the barrel is a big step up from one to the other. The P45 has polygonal rifling, the CW has conventional rifling the difference might not sound big but it makes for a lot better accuracy from a short barrel and a lot cleaner barrel after several rounds. The sights are also drift adjustable on the P45 and the CW has a posted in fron sight but a drift adjustable rear. I have had 2 P45's and I am looking for a Black P45 to add to the other or replace the other who knows but I will always have one. I have carried the Springfield XD45's as well and find them to be great guns, as far as a design flaw in the grip safety I have put several thousand rounds thru my XD9 and XD40 and had only 1 problem the hammer stop roll pin gets loose, I replaced mine with new pins and they have never gotten loose aagin. I have used the 9 at IDPA fun shoots with reasonable success for someone who cant shoot straight and is using a 4 inch gun next to a field of 9mm 1911 5 inchers. I have several 1911's and I carry a Kimber Eclipse Pro also when the mood strikes also a very good and concealable gun. I have been looking at a Smith and Wesson 1911PD 4" scandium frame but done know much about them anyone got any experience there, I think it will be my next 45.