Concealing a Ruger SP-101 Snub Nose

Hey, everyone. I'm trying to fight the urge to buy a 2 1/4" SP-101, but I'm pretty sure it's a losing battle. When I do buy one I intend to carry it. My current EDC is a Glock 27 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, and I'd like to know how the little snubbie compares.

For all of you who have (and carry) an SP-101, what is your preferred method and chosen equipment?

Bonus internets for posting pics for me to drool over! Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I carry my SP IWB its in either a Tucker Texas Heritage or a Crossbreed Supertuck.OWB I have a very nice Galco Combat Master.

IMG_1380.jpg

Nice holster. Is that the Heritage with Crossbreed clips? Doesn't look to be much thicker than my G27/VM2.

I usually carry mine in a DeSantis pocket holster, but my favorite is this rig below:

5e90d714.jpg

The holster is an Alaskan by Hunter. It was made for the strap to go behind the hammer, but I shortened it and rotated it behind the grip to use the trigger guard for retention. The speed strip holder I copied from a pic I saw on SimplyRugged.com and the speedloader holder is something I came up with.

The holster needs to be refinished, so it ain't pretty, but it's REAL comfy and I can work it pretty quick. A baggy tshirt comes down low enough to hide the bottom of the holster.

Edited by BigK

I am one for making do with what I have. I use a nylon holster carried IWB that was made for a glock 21. It has no retention strap but since it is concealed no one knows it is there. The gun stays put with tension from my belt. It is a decent system for me.

When I carry mine I use a Galco OWB holster. All I need is an XL Tshirt and I'm on the go. I'm sloppy dresser though. I certainly do NOT dress to match my age, demeanor or political and Religious views.

If I tuck in my shirt it's an anniversary and I better be getting nice *cough**cough* gift when we get home.

I have carried both a 2.25" barrel SP101 and a Glock 26. Each is very comfortable IWB. The SP101 I carried in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake using the inside/out straps. The SP101 is heavy for its size, especially compared to the Glock. As always, a high quality gun belt is key.

This is good stuff, guys! I'm thinking of asking for an SP101 for my bday (or maybe some cash to help me get to it). I don't have any wheel guns at the moment, and I'm really liking the bobbed-hammer model.

Guest trumpettgriffin

I with the fella that can personally recommend the crossbreed and the galco pancake for OWB.

It's a tad fat for my everyday pockets but the Mika pocket holster works well for my other, skinner snubbies

I have carried both a 2.25" barrel SP101 and a Glock 26. Each is very comfortable IWB. The SP101 I carried in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake using the inside/out straps. The SP101 is heavy for its size, especially compared to the Glock. As always, a high quality gun belt is key.

Glock 27 weight loaded = 27 oz.

SP101 weight unloaded = 26 oz. Weight of 5 rounds of SD ammo would be negligible.

I'd say they are pretty close.

Glock 27 weight loaded = 27 oz.

SP101 weight unloaded = 26 oz. Weight of 5 rounds of SD ammo would be negligible.

I'd say they are pretty close.

The G26, which I have, is 26 oz. loaded. The SP101 loaded is 29 oz. (with Federal 158 gr. JSP). They both carry well. The SP101 always felt heavier to me....perhaps it has to do with how they balance. I'll stand by my personal experience. :lol:

FWIW, I wouldn't want a snubnose lighter than the SP101 for firing .357.

FWIW, I wouldn't want a snubnose lighter than the SP101 for firing .357.

+1 on this! My hand takes a beating with 20 or so standard .357 loads from my SP101 even with the Hogue grip.

I can't imagine shooting more than a dozen rounds from one of those LCRs in .357.

This is good stuff, guys! I'm thinking of asking for an SP101 for my bday (or maybe some cash to help me get to it). I don't have any wheel guns at the moment, and I'm really liking the bobbed-hammer model.

I got the DAO model myself, 'cause I figgered I'd carry it, did for a while, but finally decided I needed more rounds to feel comfy in my environment, so now, I wish I'd gotten the hammer version. Anyway, mainly used this the D.M. Bullard Dual Carry, very nice:

ruger-bullard.jpg

Well, it may be a little longer before I get an SP-101. I recently caved and bought a S&W 1911PD Gunsite, and I doubt if there will be enough birthday funds to get the Ruger. For now, it'll have to stay on my bucket list.