But which 1911 ????

Guest rebeldrummer

Slide to frame fit is great

I hear this mentioned alot and recently read something that interested me. I can't cite it because I don't remember where I read it but something I was reading said that slide to frame fit really isn't that important in a 1911. Because all of the components that affect accuracy are in the top half of the gun, the slide to frame fit really only contributes to reliability. And by that, if they fit is too tight, the gun jams. If the fit is ridiculously loose then it would affect accuracy but the slide to frame isn't the important fit on a 1911.

The fit of the barrel, bushing and locking lugs are the major players.

It all made sense to me so I took it to at least be partially factual.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure but a lot of 1911 optics mount to the frame, so you want the slide/frame to vary as little as possible so that the optics are dead on rather than subjected to that wobble (??). I am not 100% sure on that, but this seems to be the slide fit issue. That and the tight fit just feels better in hand, to some shooters (I know I like it on a well fit gun).

Not sure but a lot of 1911 optics mount to the frame, so you want the slide/frame to vary as little as possible so that the optics are dead on rather than subjected to that wobble (??). I am not 100% sure on that, but this seems to be the slide fit issue. That and the tight fit just feels better in hand, to some shooters (I know I like it on a well fit gun).

Yeah what I read mentioned that about optics but I don't know anyone that uses optics on their daily carry 1911. And I don't think any sub 800 dollar 1911 is a race gun.

Guest rebeldrummer
For the money of a RIA buy a Metro Arms. My MA shot better than my Colt. Not saying RIA's are bad but when you compare them side by side I think MA has an edge. Slide to frame fit is great as is the trigger, sights and accuracy.

I paid $475 OTD for mine at a show. On gunbroker there is a seller selling them for <$430 shipped. With transfer and TICS you ate going to come in less than what I paid for mine.

Dolomite

Is there a show this weekend? If so I might be headed up there looking for one?

Guest Oaklands
Is there a show this weekend? If so I might be headed up there looking for one?

There was some joker at the last show I went to in Knoxville trying to sell one for $619.00. I think you will really like the gun. Love mine. Good luck.

Trust me there is a reason why all the hgih end, accurate 1911's have hand fitted slides. It does contribute to the accuracy because the barrel link uses the slide stop ,which is attached to the frame, to lock the barrel into the lugs. As long as the gun locks up tight it should be but may not be as accurate when there is slope between the frame and slide. There are instances where the slide to frame slope is so great that the barrel doesn't lock up consistantly.

Either way I can tell you that my MA was a better shooter than my Colt. The Colt was reliable but the MA shot tighter groups.

Dolomite

I have had a RIA Tactical. It is a great pistol for the money. I have recently purchase a American Tactical Imports 1911 also from the Philippines. It shoots and rival the fit and finish of my more expensive 1911's. They are hard to find but definitely worth taking a look at. The RIA though has a great warranty.

Trust me there is a reason why all the hgih end, accurate 1911's have hand fitted slides. It does contribute to the accuracy because the barrel link uses the slide stop ,which is attached to the frame, to lock the barrel into the lugs. As long as the gun locks up tight it should be but may not be as accurate when there is slope between the frame and slide. There are instances where the slide to frame slope is so great that the barrel doesn't lock up consistantly.

Either way I can tell you that my MA was a better shooter than my Colt. The Colt was reliable but the MA shot tighter groups.

Dolomite

From first hand experience I can agree with this.

I have had a RIA Tactical. It is a great pistol for the money. I have recently purchase a American Tactical Imports 1911 also from the Philippines. It shoots and rival the fit and finish of my more expensive 1911's. They are hard to find but definitely worth taking a look at. The RIA though has a great warranty.

yeah they are. I bought my gf a 4" one and the quality is outstanding.

I have a RIA Gov., and a Metro Arms Commander. They are both accurate pistols, the MA is probably a little more so than the RIA. And as others have said the fit & finnish on the MA is quite a bit better. But I only have $820 in the two together, and no problems out of either. Would like to get a Springer one of these days, but the wish list has a few in front of that.

Guest rebeldrummer

Thanks Dom...are there models of the MA that are better than others? One thing I have to have is the Novak style sights. I really am comfortable shooting with them. 3 dots are a must.

Thanks Dom...are there models of the MA that are better than others? One thing I have to have is the Novak style sights. I really am comfortable shooting with them. 3 dots are a must.

Get the version with the beavertail and extended controls as they have the novak style sights. They aren't Novaks but not that bad. I had to open the rear notch on mine to make it better for carry but other than that they work fine.

Dolomite

Guest Aces&8s
I'm having trouble finding a place to buy a MA? Any suggestions

I bought my ACII at Tri-Cities Gun Depot in Elizabethton. I got the hard chrome version... it was $600 OTD. The blued version is obviously cheaper, and they had a couple the last time I went by there. They also usually have RIAs in stock, along with several other brands, so you can compare them side-by-side.

Guest rebeldrummer

I am going to check locally and see if anyone has one first, since I'm a fan of supporting locally.

If nothing, I'm going to check the gun show sat. Hopefully do some trading.

If nothing again, looks like GB or some ore on-line source...

From what I am reading and hearing, you get a better pistol in the MA than you do the RIA....and just as good of one as say a into Para? Or low end Springer?

I was looking about a year ago for my first 1911 (in a little lower price range) after having owned a few 9mm's.

I thought I had narrowed it down to a GI Expert or MilSpec. But after the store owner let me look at the RIA FS Tactical just for giggles, it just felt better in the hand. The slide, release, safety and trigger all felt better. So that's what I bought; what felt best in a reliable, affordable handgun.

In hind sight, I wish there would have been a commander size option, but it's not really been an issue so far.

So get out there and start fondling the wares! That's the funnest part.

There are a lot of good guns out there for the money. I shoot the heck out of a Remington R1. Got a couple of buddies that love their Taurus. If you are simply looking for a shooter/SD gun, don't get too hung up on fit and finish. It sometimes comes at the expense of reliability. Most any of the 1911s mentioned are considerably more accurate than the shooters. Go to a show, handle a few, pull the triggers, then make your jump.