Getting ready to try some handguns.....

Since I'm hoping to be heading to a (indoor) range soon to try out the below guns, my question is what would be the "better" ammo to purchase since I'm just shooting 'em to see what's the best fit, & I don't want to get the whiz bang by golly ammo, but compatible, i.e. gun gets along with a certain type (types, since I'm asking about 9, 40, & 380).

Here's my list.

Glock 26

Glock 27

Smith M&P 9c

Smith M&P 40c

Walther PK 380

I appreciate your suggestions!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mds3d

I only have the PK380 on that list, but I will tell you that I have had no problems with any ammo. I would go with some WWB for it.

Guest friesepferd

also, if you are looking at glocks, be sure to also check on an XD if they have one there for rent. similar style gun, but very different feel

I don't know about the .380, but the rest will run fine with whatever you feed them. No Ultramax re-manufactured (unjacketed lead bullets) for the Glocks though.

Edited by JeffL
Guest brandon_pitt
also, if you are looking at glocks, be sure to also check on an XD if they have one there for rent. similar style gun, but very different feel

X2 on the xd. I love mine. Wwb ammo or Remington both run fine

The above comments pretty much cover things. If you're just trying out guns to find your likes and dislikes of caliber and size' I wouldn't really worry about anything but a good dependable ammo to run thru each to get a feel for the weapon. WWB from Wally World, UMC, PMC, or just about any brand should suffice for your testing. Full metal jacket and hardball ammo; no fancy jhp's or hot load SD for this type of shooting is necessary.

Guest RichieRich
X2 on the xd. I love mine. Wwb ammo or Remington both run fine

I used a Glock 26 to qualify for my HCP, but after trying a number of pistols, fell in love with the Springfield XD9 sc. I've since shot the 26 and while I thought I used to like it, don't any more. I've since purchased an XD 9mm tactical, and have had multiple people approach me at the range asking how I like my M&P. Bottom line: if you're thinking about Glocks and M&Ps in a 9, take a look at the XDs.

If you are looking for a carry gun, for the 9 and 40 try out some cheap hollowpoints of various shapes. Not all JHP are the pricy defense rounds, you can find bulk packs for the same prices as solid ammo from time to time. For the 380, inform yourself about the caliber if you need to then decided, if you were to carry it, if you want ball or JHP ammo, then try it out with one or both types as you see fit. All 380 is expensive, unfortunately.

If you are looking for a range gun/toy/etc, then just use the cheapest ammo you can find. That is what you will be using on paper anyway, most likely, since few folks buy the $1 a round stuff for messing around on a range.

The biggest trouble you will see in semi-autos, esp a new in the box gun, is the feed ramp will be shaped wrong or too rough to feed certain styles of hollowpoint ammo. The roughness can be polished out easily when it is an issue, but if the gun's ramp is the wrong shape for certain types of ammo, you just have to live with it and buy another brand. The weapons you listed here are all quality firearms that should handle any ammo thrown at them, by and large, so you are unlikely to have these sorts of problems. Anyway, the flattest, "biggest hole" and least "cone shaped" ammos are the worst for any gun and if it can feed those, it will work with almost anything.

I've been soaking this all in, then after studying & understanding the abbreviations, this all makes sense now. Like sure, when I head to the range to try the guns out, WWB FMJ's are good enough, but somewhere during the course of the comparison I can see now where it would be wise/right to fire some JHP's thru the gun I'm starting to favor/settle in on as I would want to be able to carry.

Long story short, the major issue with me is recoil. So yeah, Uall knew where I was heading as I do need to compare/shop, find the best fit, etc., & WWB's will sure get me started.

GREAT stuff, folks. Appreciate the counsel. :shrug:

And sure, if an XD is available to try I will most definitely do so.

Thankew!

I rented some range guns over at OnTarget in Murfreesboro when I was having the same debate in my head. I know they had Glocks and XDs, b/c I shot both there. As everyone says, they functioned flawlessly and were acceptably accurate (I shot the XD better, but that's just me).

Unfortunately for me, they didn't have any M&Ps. I'd love to have been able to compare all 3 head-to-head like you are doing. I'd be very interested to hear what your observations are and what differences you see/feel between the different brands in the same caliber.

FWIW, after my limited evaluation there and with other borrowed guns, I went a totally different route and got a CZ P-01 (superb ergonomics, much better accuracy in my hands, not plastic).

I've been soaking this all in, then after studying & understanding the abbreviations, this all makes sense now. Like sure, when I head to the range to try the guns out, WWB FMJ's are good enough, but somewhere during the course of the comparison I can see now where it would be wise/right to fire some JHP's thru the gun I'm starting to favor/settle in on as I would want to be able to carry.

Long story short, the major issue with me is recoil. So yeah, Uall knew where I was heading as I do need to compare/shop, find the best fit, etc., & WWB's will sure get me started.

GREAT stuff, folks. Appreciate the counsel. :)

And sure, if an XD is available to try I will most definitely do so.

Thankew!

If recoil is an issue for you, take a long hard look at some heavy guns instead of plastic. The more it weighs, the less "felt recoil" you will have (the actual forces are the same for the same ammo, but moments of inertia come into play). You also do want to buy one box of manbuster ammo not only to test the JHP shape and feeding, but those are high pressure (+P) ammos with more recoil, so you want to experience this. The general population will say that when actually using self defense ammo in a situation, your adrenaline will prevent the recoil from being an issue, but on the range you will surely notice the extra power (its too pricy to shoot much of this stuff unless you are well off!). Recoil is a total package (springs, weight, shape, ammo, even grip style) but all things being equal, get a heavier gun if you are bothered by what you see in the plastics.

I'm talking without experience here which is why I need to get to the range. But FWIW Jonnin, I'm guessing if recoil becomes an issue because I will fire some JHP's to see how it goes, I'm going to be inclined to just try a bigger gun like say a Glock 19 (compact). The compact does fit me better though the sub compact (26/27 & M&P9/40c) handles fine & at this stage a better carry, but who knows? I might decide at that point to move up to the compact. Yeah, I just gotta try 'em.

I know I'm still talking plastic or as they say here, "tupperguns", but then for me that boils down to budget. I'm still much the newbie, & the only metal gun I checked out was the CZ. I honestly don't remember if it was in the price range of my other guns of choice.

At this point from this VERY helpful thread, I'm definitely going to include compacts in the mix since my opening list showed only sub-compacts. From what I've learned here, my "more" educated guess is a compact 9mm is going to be the ticket. But, we'll see.

Thankew, folks!

I rented some range guns over at OnTarget in Murfreesboro when I was having the same debate in my head. I know they had Glocks and XDs, b/c I shot both there. As everyone says, they functioned flawlessly and were acceptably accurate (I shot the XD better, but that's just me).

Unfortunately for me, they didn't have any M&Ps. I'd love to have been able to compare all 3 head-to-head like you are doing. I'd be very interested to hear what your observations are and what differences you see/feel between the different brands in the same caliber.

FWIW, after my limited evaluation there and with other borrowed guns, I went a totally different route and got a CZ P-01 (superb ergonomics, much better accuracy in my hands, not plastic).

If your interested my M&P is ready for you to shoot. I was hoping you'd be at SRHEC today - I expended 200 rounds today. The trigger still isn't as sweet as your CZ but 3.5 lbs is about all I feel comfortable with!

Can't go wrong with the sub Glocks. I have a 27 now and had a 26. I think it might be good to do some research on the round and decide for yourself what to go with. With the Glock you only lose one round of mag capacity, so it really comes down to recoil and impact to the target. The 27 can be uncomfortable to shoot a hundred rounds at the range but it's not a range gun. If your looking for a fun gun at the range that can also be concealed well, you might consider a 23.

If your interested my M&P is ready for you to shoot. I was hoping you'd be at SRHEC today - I expended 200 rounds today. The trigger still isn't as sweet as your CZ but 3.5 lbs is about all I feel comfortable with!

I was too busy Saturday to make it out. I didn't get to go until Sunday. I'm reluctant to try that M&P now, anyway. I might like it and have to go buy one.:P