Aquatic carry

Caster

So it's getting hot. I like to swim, but hate pools [public urinals]. I used love hitting parts of the harpeth river {gad! that's worse than the urinals} It's been many moons since I have tread the shallow waters of the Harpeth but I'm intent on doing some "creekin" this year. Water hiking was a passion of mine in my teens. BUT now in my aging paranoia I find myself unwilling to part with a carry pal. Anyone know any good tricks for carry where constant submersion is a given? I figure I'll leave the autos at home and tote my stainless SP101. I put a stiff crimp on my .357 handloads anyway. I figure a healthy coat of fingernail polish across the primer and around the periphery of the bullet. I can carry in a cheap ACE holster (pun intentional) and when I get home I can take off the rubber grips, blow it out with an air hose and soak it liberally with Remoil, then blow it out and repeat the next day. Seems like trouble, but I don't mind that part.

Suggestions and/or ridiculous comments welcome.:rolleyes:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yanno sometimes living life has to be about not having a gun.

Huh? What's this rubbish?

Revolvers are not water proof. Do you plan on completely disassembling it if it gets submerged?

Well, I can. I thought about just blowing it out with a 150 psi, then setting it in the sun on the window sill for an hour or two before spraying it down good. Would I just be better off carrying my XD? The slide is easy to dismantle and clean, the gripframe can go in the dunkit bucket.

Your talking about a non-issue here, blued or stainless, pistol or revolver, it all comes down to maintainance. Stainless steel and blued steel will both show rust in humid or wet enviorment's, keep them lubricated, wipe them down and clean often. I carried a Colt Series 70 1911 Gov't Blued Steel Pistol on duty daily for three year's, was rained on a lot, in and out of air conditioned building, car etc into hot, muggy TN humidity. Other than normal holster wear I hand no problems. I did however, wipe dow this pistol at the end of each shift,clean and lubricate it every week and whenever I was rained on I field stripped it, used compressed air to blow out any moisture, cleaned and lubricated it. Your main issue is going to be weight. How much gun do you really need? You might find that a KelTec P3AT or like small pistol or a NAA five shot S/A revolver are all you really need.

They make an extremely thick..6 mils...ziplok baggie for archaeological use. IT WILL NOT LEAK to about 60 feet. It is chemically neutral and will not affect metal in any way. I suggest you use one for your gun. don't get one that fits...get one big enough so you can actually use the gun.

I was thinking the very same thing Bajabuc! Sealed in plastic, but with enough room to just shoot through it in a pinch. I tried to dry fire my pistol in a gallon zip lock, too clumsy. The wife will be content to sit on the bank and watch me act a fool anyway. I suppose she'll just have to play the sentinel role too.

If you slow down the bullets velocity it will increase in penetration. A slow projectile will travel a lot farther in water than a fast one.

I guarantee a 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ at 850 fps would travel farther underwater than a FMJ 115 grain 9mm at 1200 fps.

To add a bit more to it if you can lengthen the bullet's length relative to its weight it will increase penetration as well. That 230 grain 45 bullet will travel so far but if you take a 230 grain bullet in 30 caliber it will go much farther. Or imagine an arrow, it will travel very far in water but if you take a bullet of the same weight yet higher caliber and higher velocity and it will not penetrate as much.

An experiment I did a few years back:

I loaded a 95 grain 9mm at what I would consider normal velocty range for it. It traveled though a few jugs of water without issue. I took that same exact bullet and pushed it to 2,000 fps out of a rifle and it never made it out of the first just. An increase in velocity causes and increase in resistance.

Dolomite

A Glock 19 was my beach gun, when I lived in Florida. It survived the sand and salt water without rusting, and the submerged rounds all fired afterwards, as well.

Never fired it underwater, though.

Any Glock should do just fine in a creek.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have spent many hours on the Narrows of the Harpeth River. I had a Blue Hole Canoe and would paddle around Bell's Bend then carry my canoe over the bluff and back to my car. They make a thing called a "Dry Bag" for canoes and kayaks. You can keep a pistol in the dry bag. You will need something to hang your dry bag on. Might I suggest getting a Sit-On_Top kayak. You can get out and walk and tie yourself off to the kayak.

I know it ain't the same. But a Dry Bag might work.

So what is your dilemma here, to carry underwater or to just have it with you while your out and about? As you said, if you are submerging the gun you know your in for a load of extra manitence. But if your going to carry it in some sort of waterproof bag you'd better make very sure its well attached as it will want to pop loose and float! If the gun does get wet, I would immeditally soak it down with WD40 ASAP, after you drain it (you might want to think about adding some weep holes in the handle). I would say that after you come out of the water: unload, drain, and use the WD40. I dont think it would be a good idea to wait any more than a few minutes. Metal will begin to corrode as soon as it hits the air. Stainless would help to slow it down but it will still happen. Everyone talks about how a Glock will fire underwater but I believe most any will (but I've never tested that theory). As far as sealing the ammo I would say your on the right track.