Cicadas

Where are the cicadas ? I remember back in 1998 they were everywhere . They are supposed to come out now but I havent seen one at all ? I guess all the rain and floods slowed the time they were supposed to emerge from the ground .

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are cicadas every summer but this summer is a 13 year cycle hatch, there's also a 17 year of a different strain. Supposed to be most concentrated in middle TN this summer, for whatever reason that is.

They emerge in may and june, but generally don't start making the major racket till July and August in E. TN.

- OS

I believe not as many survive the cycles any more to leave eggs any more and probably fewer survive the cycle the cycles then in years past. I have never seen a very large outbreak. I have seen a couple cycles. I love to take them fishing.

Go to a quite place late at night and listen to them, some place where there is allot of them.

About every 10-15 minutes you can hear some thing that will almost send chills down your back.

It is almost like you can hear them say pharaoh.

Second, Catch a live one. Look at the wings close, they have dark veins for a lack of a better work that look like letters. a N on one and a W on the other.

At least if these are the ones I believe you are talking about. I haven't seen any yet this year. When I do I will do my best to get a picture of the wings of what I am talking about if someone doesn't do it before me.

• Administrator
I've got plenty of them here in Smyrna. I find the sound oddly soothing.

I agree. My wife disagrees. It's a sound of my childhood. We used to get them what seemed like every summer growing up in Kentucky.

In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native cicadas taken from the wild without the proper permits.

I don't think anyone is going to buy this work of fiction. It is dedicated to TGO David's new avatar.

Guest Lester Weevils

Haven't heard any in Chatt yet this year.

Dunno if it is cicadas or just crickets, but they put on a stereo chorus with a slow "wave cycle" in my back woods in mid summer. They will gradually build up on the left side, then the middle will join in, then the left fades as the right chimes in. After the center fades the left begins again as the right fades.

Over and over. Seems a fairly periodic cycle but haven't used a stopwatch to measure how precisely periodic it is. It is fun to hear. Wonder how many insects are in each sub-chorus? One? A Hundred?

When the cicadas get old but ain't dead yet, they make fabulous dog toys. The cicadas lay on the ground looking dead, then if the dog approaches and sniffs, cicada makes a lot of noise, startling the dog into backing off.

Then the half-dead cicada quiets down, dog warily approaches and sniffs again, cicada makes a lot of noise and dog backs off again. Finally dog gets brave enough to run in for a quick bite and toss. Dog circles around doing bite-and-toss maneuvers several times until cicada really is dead, then dog picks it up and carries it off for a snack.

Have seen this play out with three different dogs. Got a great video tape of the old Lab when she was about 9 months old, fighting a cicada in the living room floor for about 10 minutes. Funny!

Guest bkelm18

The empty shells freak me out, but I love the sound. Nothing like a good southern evening, sitting on the porch, listening to the noise makers.

During digs in Montana, cicada holes were one of the things we included in our site maps. The dirt (in our case, sand) is the same color and consistency through it's length. Some holes were 30 feet deep.

Guest Lester Weevils
During digs in Montana, cicada holes were one of the things we included in our site maps. The dirt (in our case, sand) is the same color and consistency through it's length. Some holes were 30 feet deep.

Interesting!

Is there any opinion whether they dig them new each season, or re-use them for as long as the holes stay viable?

Interesting!

Is there any opinion whether they dig them new each season, or re-use them for as long as the holes stay viable?

New hole every time...biologists told me that when I asked the same question.

Haven't heard any in Chatt yet this year.

Dunno if it is cicadas or just crickets, but they put on a stereo chorus with a slow "wave cycle" in my back woods in mid summer. They will gradually build up on the left side, then the middle will join in, then the left fades as the right chimes in. After the center fades the left begins again as the right fades. . . .

More likely Katydids. They keep up serenade until the wee hours of the night.

I've been hearin' 'em all night and day, but I don't see any like I did the last time they were around. Last time I couldn't go outside without walkin' over shells and seein' 'em everywhere. I need to round some up. I'm gonna boil 'em like crawfish and see how they taste.