16" vs 18" vs 20"

Guest adamoxtwo

Guest adamoxtwo

Ok so like many others I am building an AR. I will use it for Hunting and Target and everything else. I am going with a 1/9 twist but haven't decided much on the length of the barrel. I am leaning towards the 18" because I would assume (which could be my first problem) it would allow for a more accurate long shot then the 16", but don't want to go with a 20" because I'm not shooting more then 200 yards with it and don't think I need that either.

OK Folks, what say you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 200 yards, I can't imagine that you would see much of a difference between a 16 or an 18. If you are goin to be trudging through the woods with the gun (hunting), I would recommend a 14.5" barrel with pinned and welded muzzle device.

A 14.5/16 inch barrel will be plenty accurate out to 200 yards.

Barrel length is not an issue for accuracy. the only way it affects accuracy is if you are using iron sights, then the increased sight radius is more accurate. It is an issue for velocity. So our main question is what will you be hunting?

Personally, I prefer the 20" barrel for all-around use. There are some critters out there that I like to have maximum velocity when using a tiny little .22 slug. Hogs come to mind. Velocity also gives a flatter trajectory if you are killing woodchucks out to 200 yards with those little 45gr varmint bullets.

The only advantage I can see to the shorter barrel is for comfort. It's lighter. Unless you are hunting in buildings or from inside a vehicle, I'd stick with a 20" barrel. Longer barrels have less muzzle flash and blast as well!

My pistol is sitting on a 9 inch barrel and even it is fine at 200 yards. It has a lower velocity so thats sort of the upper range I would trust it for hunting with 223 ammo, I have not tried 5.56 which probably gets a little more out of the gun. Point is, 16 inches should be plenty. The pistol is a 1/9 twist, and normally I shoot 55 grain rounds from it, usually at 100 yard mark. While 16 is plenty at 200, there may be other reasons to pick the other sizes... some research may be in order esp if you ever want to go out to 400, 500 yards instead.

I dunno about that 14.5 barrel.... I thought (but double check it, I forget details at a very rapid rate) that under 16 made a SBR and all that hassle.

Edited by Jonnin

For hunting inside 200 yds, the 16" will be plenty accurate, though the longer sight radius on the 20" helps. Shots longer than that should be considered very carefully anyway. The 16" will have a little more muzzle blast and noise, but be a little lighter. But if weight is a concern, don't load it down with optics/lights/lasers/etc. Other issues are gas operation. The carbine length gas system is more abusive on the hardware than the rifle length. If you shoot 2000+ rds/yr that may be a concern. It doesn't matter for most people. If you think you might get into "tactical" type competitions that involve shooting inside buildings, you need the shorter barrel.

I dunno about that 14.5 barrel.... I thought (but double check it, I forget details at a very rapid rate) that under 16 made a SBR and all that hassle.

The pinned/welded muzzle device effectively increases the barrel length to the 16" minimum.

I am a big fan of middie gas systems. As far as barrels go you won't notice much difference between 16-18. And inside of 400 yards you won't notice the diff with a 20. Some just like the original 20 barrel and you do get more velocity. However I have shot many animals with a 16, mainly hogs, and the 16 has served me very very well. Regardless of barrel length a 22 cal bullet is not optimal for hog hunting, but dang it it is fun. And does the job as long as you are a good shot. I also do like the 14.5" bbl with permanent pinned/welded flash hider. This is how my AK is set up. It is good stuff. If you ever have an idea of taking fighting rifle courses the 16 bb or 16 OAL is the best bet for that.

The only time I shoot a 20 bb AR is when I go to SD to shoot prairie dogs.

Guest bkelm18

If the muzzle device is permanently attached and the total length is 16", it is not an SBR.

I wouldn't have recommended it if it was illegal.

and for the sight radius that you keep mentioning, go mid-length gas system OR better yet, dissipator style. 16 inch barrel and rifle length gas.

dissipator_1.gif

I hear RLGS's on 16-inchers aren't very dependable.

I wouldn't have recommended it if it was illegal.

and for the sight radius that you keep mentioning, go mid-length gas system OR better yet, dissipator style. 16 inch barrel and rifle length gas.

dissipator_1.gif

As I said, was not 100% sure about the rules. And I didnt meant to imply you were recommending something illegal -- SBRs are legal after a tax/fee/whatever, just after a lot of hassle with that pistol I have discovered that the smallest thing can make a SBR by mistake if you are not aware of every detail and that its always best to double check every hardware mod against those rules. Since mine is 9 inch and pistol already, the most inane mods = SBR for me and I have to be ultra careful.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest adamoxtwo

Excellent advise from all! Thanks folks. I think I have decided on the following

18" BD 1x8 SS Mid Length Gas Sys LW Specter YHM 4 Rail FF Complete Special

JeffL I took your advise and will go with the 1/8.

Now if anyone has had any experience with JSE please let me know. Everything I have found on AR15.com was that they were excellent to deal with and if you had any problems they were quick to replace and correct anything.

I don't know anything about the JSE set up or their quality. I can tell you the YHM rail systems are quite heavy in comparison to several of the competitors and not as durable. However, the weight may not matter for your purposes. If you carried it all day on a sling quite often it might. Otherwise maybe not.

Guest adamoxtwo
JSE is *wobbles hand*. I've heard some things about how they're not SHTF-worthy and such, but for training you're good. I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in.

Wobbles hand??

I'm not worried about zombies (there is more in the arsenal for that:tough:) This is more for Paper Punching and the occasional Deer out of a tree stand. Weight is not that big an issue.

Wobbles hand??

I'm not worried about zombies (there is more in the arsenal for that:tough:) This is more for Paper Punching and the occasional Deer out of a tree stand. Weight is not that big an issue.

Wobbles hand = hand gesture for "so so"

Guest kickstand

For 200 yards or less, I'd definitely go with a 14.5" + pinned flash hider. This setup is good to go out to 300 easy, no sense lugging around a longer barrel. As far as twist rate, I would recommend 1/7. This way you can shoot the heavier bullets if you want, and it's not too much twist for the 55's.