Hand Prime or Press

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TackleberryTom

On my progressive press doing .45acp, I load primers with the press. Works great once you learn the feel of the primer seating. On my single stage press I do my priming with a lee hand primer press. I mostly only load .38spc on it and that works great as well. Try it both ways. It's the only way you will know which one you prefer. Tom

Guest 6.8 AR

Same here. i use the press on my Lock-n-load and the Lyman. Never done it

by hand. I never had any problems with the presses feature, so I was happy,

rifle or pistol loads.

They both have their advantages.

The biggest advantage to a hand prime system is you are not tethered to your press. I reload inside so the weather has no bearing on me but some folks have to do it in their garage or in an out building. It can get hot or cold so anytime you can move part of the operation inside it is a good thing. You can go inside, sit down and watch television while priming. Priming is one of those mindless, boring things you do while reloading because it doesn't need a lot of thought. I also find it easier to go mindless with a hand held primer than a press mounted one.

I have several different primers, both press mounted and hand held. The best hand held by far is the older Lee Auto prime. The new XR model works OK but it can be a pain because it steps the primer up a step before seating it into the case. This is so if you set off a primer it won't set off the entire tray. The older model hand primer by Lee doesn't have the step up so it is easier and more mindless in its operation. Also, the Lee is easier to switch between large and small primers as well as the shell holders.

I also have the press mounted Lee Auto Prime II, which went out of production a while ago. I recently bought it after a long search to find a new one. It mounts on top of the press like a die and I actually like it a lot. The reason is you can set the primer seating depth to be consistant between all primed cases. This is what I use when I am loading for accuracy because any time you can make every case the same the bullets are going to be more consistant and that leads to more accurate. Not all cases have the same depth in their primer pockets. And even after uniforming the depth some pokcets started out too deep to clean up. This set up negates any negative effects of this.

If you are going to be doing a lot of reloading (with 9mm and 45 you probably will) I would say go with a hand held. They are just easier to use all the way around. If you can find an older Lee Auto Prime (not the XR) get it as they tend to be fool proof. If you can't I would still recommend the XR. Also, get a good glove for your squeezing hand. I tend to get a blister when I have primed a lot of cases by hand.

I load everything I shoot which for right now is 9mm, 45 ACP, 223. I have also loaded 38/357, 7.62x25 Tokarev, 45 LC and a few other odd ball setups.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would gladly share any of my experiences with you.

Dolomite

I've started using an RCBS hand priming tool and I really like it. Previously I was priming with my single-stage press -- it works fine but it's slow and there's a lot of primer handling.

Guest mbushell

I have a Lee. I tend to combine steps on my single stage. If your brass is deprimed and sized ( I do that before polishing), you can prime on the down stroke. Then, expand on the up stroke. Powder through expanding die. Change dies once...seat and crimp simple. Go slow there is lots of things to go wrong until you get the hang of it

Guest TackleberryTom
humm might have to locate a hand primer

Reloaders bench usually has them and the shell holders as well. I would recommend having one on hand regardless of your priming preference. Just a darn handy tool to have and relatively inexpensive.

I'll let you try both, if you want. Then you'll know which you prefer.

I prefer by hand, but definitely see the merits in both.

Biggest plus for me is that since I'm depriming before tumbling, I get to skip that stage on the press and save time by hand priming while inspecting brass.

Reloaders bench usually has them and the shell holders as well. I would recommend having one on hand regardless of your priming preference. Just a darn handy tool to have and relatively inexpensive.

Good advice. Buy the entire set of shellholders; they'll be cheaper that way in the long run. You also won't have to hunt one down each time you load for a new caliber.

I have used both the Lee and the RCBS hand primers.The Lee is easier to use but eventually the rounded part that actually seats the primer will wear to the point that the primers will not seat all the way causing light primer strikes.RCBS is sturderier but more of a bitch to change calibers

I have used both the Lee and the RCBS hand primers.The Lee is easier to use but eventually the rounded part that actually seats the primer will wear to the point that the primers will not seat all the way causing light primer strikes.RCBS is sturderier but more of a bitch to change calibers

Grease takes care of that or at least makes it last a lot longer. I have had problems with the handle breaking but the handles for the new XR are much sturdier and actually fit the original much better.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to hand prime. I used to use the older Lee hand priming tool, which is very good. Now I use the RCBS APS hand priming tool, along with the RCBS APS strip loader. The RCBS is much more expensive, has better ergonomics, doesn't require shellholders, and is much sturdier. The Lee has better feel for seating primers and is easier to change between large and small primers.

I prefer hand priming. I have both the Lee auto prime and the new Lee XR. I've broken 2 handles on the auto prime, but that's a different topic.

I also have an RCBS bench mounted primer. I like the feel of it better especially when priming S&B brass since their primer pockets feel a lot tighter than most other brass.

I still prime separately before using my Lee Pro 1000.

I prefer hand priming. I have both the Lee auto prime and the new Lee XR. I've broken 2 handles on the auto prime, but that's a different topic.

I also have an RCBS bench mounted primer. I like the feel of it better especially when priming S&B brass since their primer pockets feel a lot tighter than most other brass.

I still prime separately before using my Lee Pro 1000.

The new XR handles fit the older AUto Prime but I am sure you already know that from owning both. I bought a brand new, complete XR after I was told the new handle would not work on the older Auto Prime. I think it actually works better than the original handle.

I use the AUto Prime II for precision work. It is mounted in the same place as the die and a ram pushes the primer into the case. I can set the primer depth to be the same on all cases, something I can't do with a handle primer even with uniformed primer pockets. It was discontinued a few years ago but I found a new one earlier this year and snatched it up. Using it has cut my groups some.

Dolomite

I haven't seated a single primer yet but I am going to use what I have for the time being (RCBS, press mounted). I did like the feel of of the hand primer I tried-out (thank you very much BigK) better but it doesn't make sense for me to really try to decide until I'm using my own.