I have a tough decision to make regarding buying a new gun.

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt

Ok guys. Here's the situation, I have around $1000-$1200 to spend on a new gun. I have been looking mainly in the Kimber, Springfield, and less expensive dan wesson's (rare). Here's my problem. I know that I want the barrel no longer than commander length, so 3", 4", and 4.25" are fine. Other than that, I am lost. Never having had owned this expensive of a gun, I don't know where to go from here. It's not like I can borrow them for a day either. My first pick is the Springfield Loaded Champion, which feels good in my hand, and is light weight. (33oz). The Kimber I was looking at was the ultra carry. I also liked the weight and feel. Am I missing something out there that I should be considering? any pointers or tips when making over a 1k purchase? Thanks in advance

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do, do it quick. Before your car breaks down, or you washer or dryer bites the dust. Handgun money has been a life saver for me over the years. I'm still saving for that $1000 gun. A Smith and Wessom model 27 6".

Guest NashvegasMatt

Part of the problem is actually finding what I want to buy. I have held the two I'm interested in but haven't seen many others for sale. I went to the franklin shop,and quite a collection they have, but couldn't swallow the prices or lack of customer service. I, like everyone else, like a great selection. The shops around here have a good selection of polymer but as far as metal....it's been hit and miss in my travels. I wish I knew of somewhere that had a huge selection of 1911's in town. I love the outpost as much as the next guy, but to drive all the way out there which is almost 2 hrs for me, and possibly come up empty handed would get expensive in gas. I'd drive to G&L in green briar, I've heard they sometimes have a gem or two. Guess I maybe should post a WTB on the forum here.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Dan Wesson. You'll have no regrets.

which one? where can i buy one? and how much? This is really what I'm shooting for here... I need opinions, and with those opinions I need why people feel that way.

G&L in Greenbriar has a fair amount of metal guns. I've gotten a couple of 1911s from them over the years. One was a SA loaded (stainless) 4.25" 1911. If you know exactly what you want, call ahead and they'll let you know if they have it in stock.

Edited by bubbadavis
Bubba can't type

I have only had 10 1911s and the one I have now is for recreation only. I have shot and have access to many 1911s, the same as many forum members do. I would pass on Kimber and SA Champions in 4". I would never go less than 4.25" and tend to think 5" is the way to go in 1911s, having had a couple of 4" 1911s and shot some "balky" less than 4" 1911s. JMB designed the 1911 as a 5" gun and time has held that if everything is sprung right a 4.25" works pretty well, but a well made 5" 1911 is generally pretty reliable. In your price range I would hold for a Colt. SA's are essentially Brazilian made guns, which is not a bad thing but it is a "thing." A serious 1911 shooter friend of mine who is a FED LEO 1911 carrier tells me to pass on Kimber, which his and others advice I follow to some extent. Look at the Series 70 and XSEs. Colt Pistols

Part of the problem is actually finding what I want to buy.

Check out D&T Arms in Rivergate. Last time I was in, they had a pretty good selection of 1911s. They also stock some Kandros Custom 1911s. I'm not much of a 1911 guy, but they look pretty nice.

When it come's to 1911's I'm biased toward Colt Series 70 model's, Goverment and Combat Commander. I do own a SA 1911 that I like a lot, but it's not a Colt. I will not buy a Kimber or a Para Ordinance of any kind. That said I am waiting to see Ruger's new model and I have been pleased with the fit, finish and overall service of the Remington's I've encountered. You will find that the LW Commander is a much nicer carry pistol than the Combat Commander or Goverment Model, but is more challanging to shoot as well with service ammunition.

Avoid Kimber. You can get a Dan Wesson for that price and I would say GnL is your best bet on that BUT if you can't I would look for a TRP. If you plan on carrying this gun a 5" is not much heavier and is no harder to conceal than a smaller model and are more reliable. If you can't find what you are looking for pick up RIA and take a drive to Hero Gear and let Jeff customize that gun to your liking. That way you have a gun that is built to you.

I have a Kimber Eclipse Pro that I carry everyday. I don't know why people recommend you not go below 4.25". There are plenty of good ones that have proven reliable.

With that said I would go look, fondle, and drool till you find what you want. I bought a TRP brand new for $1175 this past winter and it's been an awesome gun. My advice also would be look at gently used guns, your money may go a lot further that way.

If I had the money my next 1911 would be a Dan Wesson with duty coat finish. FWIW

You said you that a Commander length was ok... why limit yourself, go the whole hawg and get a Commander - there was a series 70 for sale on the board a while back (may still be there but I rather doubt it). Personally I have a series 80 Colt, great gun and never a minutes problem out of it!

Ok guys. Here's the situation, I have around $1000-$1200 to spend on a new gun. I have been looking mainly in the Kimber, Springfield, and less expensive dan wesson's (rare). Here's my problem. I know that I want the barrel no longer than commander length, so 3", 4", and 4.25" are fine. Other than that, I am lost. Never having had owned this expensive of a gun, I don't know where to go from here. It's not like I can borrow them for a day either. My first pick is the Springfield Loaded Champion, which feels good in my hand, and is light weight. (33oz). The Kimber I was looking at was the ultra carry. I also liked the weight and feel. Am I missing something out there that I should be considering? any pointers or tips when making over a 1k purchase? Thanks in advance

You said you that a Commander length was ok... why limit yourself, go the whole hawg and get a Commander! There was a series 70 for sale on the board a while back (may still be there for all I know but I rather doubt it). Personally I have a series 80 Colt, great gun and never a minutes problem out of it!

I live in Nashville too and your welcome to shoot mine, if you'd like. Just PM me if you want to.

Guest tbone

I have a full size S&W 1911 for a few years that I have been VERY pleased with. I suggest you give them a look also. Have you thought of searching Gunbroker, or another online site? I buy most of my guns this way and have never regretted it. You can also find some deals out there.

Guest NashvegasMatt

i guess I'm at a loss. I should just drive everywhere and look around. I am ok with the commander, but the full size is not my cup of tea. I had a commander sized 1911 already and enjoyed, I'm just looking to upgrade on what I know.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Check out D&T Arms in Rivergate. Last time I was in, they had a pretty good selection of 1911s. They also stock some Kandros Custom 1911s. I'm not much of a 1911 guy, but they look pretty nice.

and you think this is do-able in the price range I listed on page one?