Any Thoughts on the Flash Mob Crime Wave?

Guest midnitelamp

Guest midnitelamp

There are many,many, articles on the web,a new incident on Drudge shut down the Peoria,IL newspaper site.

The phenomena dates back to at least 2009,the MSM apparently under reporting the frequency,probably because the mobs are 100% black and the victims 100% non-black.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard thing to protect yourself against really, they are generally minors or under 21 at least, avoid walking in bad areas is the best advice I could give and don't look like someone to f##k with or in other words don't act big and tough but don't look weak if that makes any sense.

• Admin Team

I'd suggest either providing some data to back up your racial claim or editing the OP accordingly.

This thread is on thin ice. Discuss mob based crime trends if you like. But, if I have to clean this thread up, don't say you weren't warned.

Edited by MacGyver

I am not sure about flash mobs, but most crime is intra-racial. Also, most incarcerated folks in the nation are black. It varies depending on where you are though. Back home, it's allot more along the lines of the population, due to so many poor white hillbillies like myself being incarcerated - it seems social economic class is really the best indicator of criminal inclinations.

So in short, now the academic in me is wanting to see research on the topic. Dang I thought I put that part of me in a sleeper hold after I graduated.

I am not sure about flash mobs, but most crime is intra-racial. Also, most incarcerated folks in the nation are black. It varies depending on where you are though. Back home, it's allot more along the lines of the population, due to so many poor white hillbillies like myself being incarcerated - it seems social economic class is really the best indicator of criminal inclinations. So in short, now the academic in me is wanting to see research on the topic. Dang I thought I put that part of me in a sleeper hold after I graduated.

BS on most inmates being black.

White: (58.5*%)

Black: (38.0*%)

Native (1.8*%)

Asian: (1.7*%)

This is according to the Federal bureau of prisons.

http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Chattanooga has had a problem with "flash mobs" for years. Although they have gone unreported and un-aired on the news.

Some, including the mayor, claim that it's an internet thing. Most likely because of the flash mobs that meet up to dance or some such.

But I started to notice them back when texting took off. Which makes since, since all it takes to localize 100s of people is to send one text to an entire phonebook.

I found myself in the middle of one about 10 years ago. Stopped for gas at the Conoco by the Comedy Catch one night, when from out of no where, came at least 100 teens in countless cars. They filled the parking lot, trapping my car in there, and turned the 5 lane road into a parking lot. It scared the hell out of me.

Recently, there have been two shootings in Chattanooga that were contributed to "flash mobs". Both in Coolidge Park. I think these two are the only ones I've ever heard about in the media.

Native (1.8*%)

BOP: Quick Facts

Dolomite

I would think that a more reasonable statistical analysis would include State and Local Prisons as well. Plus, I am hard pressed to think there are no Hispanics in Federal Prisons.

Under a separate block on the page you quote from they have one set aside for "Ethnicity" that quotes "Hispanics" at 34%, but there are none listed in the 100% racial make-up, something skewed with that data.

Guest midnitelamp

if you search "black flash mob crime" about 2,980,000 hits come up.

plenty of video,plenty of newspaper coverage,particularly in chicago,peoria,philly.

all over drudge.

you certainly don't have to take my word for it,and i think everybody here is capable of a search.don't want to look like i am spoon feeding any thing.

I would think that a more reasonable statistical analysis would include State and Local Prisons as well. Plus, I am hard pressed to think there are no Hispanics in Federal Prisons.

Under a separate block on the page you quote from they have one set aside for "Ethnicity" that quotes "Hispanics" at 34%, but there are none listed in the 100% racial make-up, something skewed with that data.

I think the Hispanics are included in the White numbers. Further down the page where it is talking about the staff, it shows a section for whites who are non-hispanic. This would make it seem reasonable to me that if they offer no designation, then Whites would include Hispanics.

If indeed this is true, then Blacks would be the most popular race in prison.

There are many,many, articles on the web,a new incident on Drudge shut down the Peoria,IL newspaper site.

The phenomena dates back to at least 2009,the MSM apparently under reporting the frequency,probably because the mobs are 100% black and the victims 100% non-black.

You can't really believe this right? Crime is going unreported because the victims are not black? Those flash mob idiots deserve what they have coming, but your statement is crazy!

I believe that media likes nothing better than to scare the hell out of Americans and there is no way that they would let an opportunity like this get by them without taking advantage of it.

if you search "black flash mob crime" about 2,980,000 hits come up.

plenty of video,plenty of newspaper coverage,particularly in chicago,peoria,philly.

all over drudge.

you certainly don't have to take my word for it,and i think everybody here is capable of a search.don't want to look like i am spoon feeding any thing.

Well I goggled "tennesseans can't read" and got 2,950,000 results. Must mean that all of us are illiterate. Or how about "tennessee residents racist" and I got 5,540,000 results, must mean we are all racist as well. The majority of your results are from the words "flash mob crime". I googled "santa flash mob crime" and got 1,700,000 results, at least we know where he is getting all those presents now. I don't feel so bad for the elves being worked so hard now.

After looking at the data I posted it looks like the hispanics might make up part of the "white" group (Thanks Worriedman). This does leave the "black" group as the highest single group in the prison system.

The majority of the crimes against black are committed by blacks.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/bvvc.pdf

I got was upset when I saw someone speak as though an entire group of people are responsible for something they are obviously not. Rather than try to clump all blacks into this group realize that the mobs are not 100% black nor are their victims not 100% non black.

Dolomite

The troubling thing to me is that the MSM IS being rather tight lipped about this phenomenon, (social media actuated crime). In a period where youth unemployment is at historic levels, (of course unemployment levels for all demographics are up), I have a feeling it is going to be a long, hot and crime filled summer.

Edited by Worriedman

Native (1.8*%)

BOP: Quick Facts

Dolomite

Sir, I have to respectfully point out three issues with your stats sir:

1. I made a mistake by saying most incarcerated, but allow me to correct myself, I meant most in proportion to their population within the U.S. - blacks are disproportionally incarcerated much more than whites. Again, social-economic class really plays a huge part here.

2. These stats are what I would consider "massaged." Hispanics are rolled up into whites which is not accurate research in this field.

3. These statistics are for the Federal BOP. Most folks are incarcerated by State Prisons and local jails. To go to the FBOP you have to commit a federal crime (white collar crime is big here), a crime on a Native American Reservation for example. Most felonies do not get a trip to the FBOP but rather to state prisons.

Tennessee Department of Corrections has 51% white, 47% Black and 2% other as for incarceration at the state level. I would argue in this example that the 51% white is going to include Hispanics and not straight up Caucasian. That is going to change the balance.

I am not saying that I believe that this phenomena is actually mostly black. Something there seems a little off to me - even given the higher proportion I would expect of racial minorities reaching parity in Chicago. I simply have not looked at it. I do STRONGLY question the cross racial targeting however, as stats just do not support that type of crime anywhere else. I would love to see the raw numbers in Chicago and see, this is a interesting, and frightful, crime that has really not been studied much because it is relatively new, and going to be nearly impossible to arrest all offenders.

Edited by Paladin132
Guest possumbarnes
Mobs Attack on City Buses: Police | NBC Chicago

Chicago thugs rob bus riders.

Teens Charged in Mob Attacks | NBC Chicago

Groups of teens charged in 4 separate incidents.

Teenage Flash Mob Robberies on the Rise - FoxNews.com

Seems to be all over!

What I would like to see stats on is what are the gun laws in the areas surrounding where most flash mobs are taking place. Your first two links are in Chicago. That last link you listed shows Chicago, DC, Las Vegas, and Minneapolis-St. Paul, ALL OF WHICH are anti-gun cities. You don't see many flash mobs in Tennessee, Alabama, or South Carolina, all of which are pro-gun states (just rattled off the states I have experience with). I'm not saying they don't happen because we all know they do. Plus, the fact that they are just going into stores, not really threatening anyone, and running off with merchandise means that gun carriers don't really come into play, but it definitely seems the majority of these mobs are in anti-gun areas.

Store owners are going to have to start installing quick-locking drop gates or something. When a flash mob comes in, you press a button to lock the place down hard before they can leave. Just make sure you have a safe room to hide out in until the cops arrive.

I would say that is different than a flash mob... Not that there is a definitive definition, but here is my take:

1. Flash mobs are organized and planned, many times through the use of social media and mass text messages. These seem to be more oriented toward attention getting than actual belonging.

2. Gang activity is just what most folks think it is, gang activity. The initiation of activity is through association and face to face meetings instead of the other, and are usually more about belonging.

I think of them as two separate things, so I wonder if the media has started using them more interchangeably?

Guest mikedwood

Drudge has been linking to a lot of the robbery type flash mobs lately (past few months). All the ones I have seen him link to are pretty much carried out by all blacks. I do not know if robbery flash mobs are an all black thing or if Drudge is just linking to the all black ones and leaving the white ones out.

He has also linked to several other mob mentality incidents lately and the only one I have seen that was mostly white was the riot in Vancouver over winning the Stanley Cup.

Leading some to believe that Matt Drudge is picking his headlines to reflect badly on the African-American community on purpose.

I know he doesn't write the news, but could certainly make a statement by picking and choosing what to link to.

As for me I agree with Daddy0 no matter the color or sex (women are getting wild lately and not like Girls gone Wild.) 3 or more youths are something to avoid.

Guest midnitelamp
Well I goggled "tennesseans can't read" and got 2,950,000 results. Must mean that all of us are illiterate. Or how about "tennessee residents racist" and I got 5,540,000 results, must mean we are all racist as well. The majority of your results are from the words "flash mob crime". I googled "santa flash mob crime" and got 1,700,000 results, at least we know where he is getting all those presents now. I don't feel so bad for the elves being worked so hard now.

After looking at the data I posted it looks like the hispanics might make up part of the "white" group (Thanks Worriedman). This does leave the "black" group as the highest single group in the prison system.

The majority of the crimes against black are committed by blacks.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/bvvc.pdf

I got was upset when I saw someone speak as though an entire group of people are responsible for something they are obviously not. Rather than try to clump all blacks into this group realize that the mobs are not 100% black nor are their victims not 100% non black.

Dolomite

belive what you want to. the videos speak for themselves. the evidence seems to be everywhere,i did not want to appear to be cherry picking a single event. i suppose "wilding" may have been a term in use in 2009,but now with evidence that so called "social networking" flash mob crime is more accurate,unless you can find a better term. frankly,i think you have your head in the sand.

Guest midnitelamp

if anybody finds images or videos of non black flash mob crimes,post 'em up. i don't think canuck fans count.<BR><BR>this type of phenomena of taking advantage of confusion is not unknown before now.<BR><BR>an example when it was announced at the national theater that lincoln had been shot,the stage manager assured the audience that this was not the ruse of pickpockets.