Scout rifle recommendations?

I'm thinking about buying a bolt-action scout-type rifle. By "scout" I mean something with a short barrel, synthetic stock, and capable of being banged around in the field if the need arises. More than likely this gun will be used primarily for target shooting at short to medium distances, but will have a dual purpose in the event of a zombie apocalypse :stalk:. Right now I'm thinking .308 because of the ammo availability, but would also consider .223 for the same reason. So with that in mind, what should I be looking at?

Guest Conrad

Check out the Savage Scout rifles. On Gunbroker.com there are 308 and 7.62x39 versions. Has everything you need Peep sights, scout base. Detachable mag and accu-trigger.

Guest mustangdave

I will give a +3 on the Ruger product...it is SWEET...and I want ONE. I currently have a Ruger Mini 14 in Tactical trim with a 4 X 20 Barska scope ...zombie accurate out to about 100 yrds

Guest Lester Weevils

Would a lever gun with barrel suitably shortened to 16" be an acceptable substitute for this purpose?

Am not advocating this option over bolt-action, just wondering. The lever gun is more easily operated with ambidextrous shooting. Blind in right eye, I'm right handed but have to shoot rifle left handed. Right hand bolt guns are a PITA shooting left handed, even more so if there is a scope you have to reach over to get to the bolt lever.

Maybe a lever gun wouldn't be suitable though. Just curious if that would suffice in the "scout rifle" role.

Guest mustangdave

Lester...I would say...if it works for you then go for it...my wife has a lever action Henry...I wouldn't want to be down range duckin lead from her...she's friggin Annie Oakley

Would a lever gun with barrel suitably shortened to 16" be an acceptable substitute for this purpose?

Am not advocating this option over bolt-action, just wondering. The lever gun is more easily operated with ambidextrous shooting. Blind in right eye, I'm right handed but have to shoot rifle left handed. Right hand bolt guns are a PITA shooting left handed, even more so if there is a scope you have to reach over to get to the bolt lever.

Maybe a lever gun wouldn't be suitable though. Just curious if that would suffice in the "scout rifle" role.

I agree with everything you said about the lever-action. In fact, those were some of the same reasons which inspired me to buy a Marlin 30-30 earlier this year! I love that gun, but would like to compliment it with a centerfire bolt-action. I appreciate all the recommendations on the guns so far, especially the Ruger. If I had the money today, I would be all over the gun listed on AR15.com.

By "scout" I mean something with a short barrel, synthetic stock, and capable of being banged around in the field if the need arises. More than likely this gun will be used primarily for target shooting at short to medium distances, but will have a dual purpose in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

what should I be looking at?

DPMS 308 Panther

The 19 rounds and semi-auto advantage are just added extras.

Everything is application driven.

i would look for a remington 788 carbine in 308 its the most accrate out of the box rifle i have ever shot if you want to try 1 i have several you can find them at gunshows for 300.00 and up these rifles a great bargin

• Like 1

Alternative or pseudo scout rifles I have tinkered with (note - don't know why but the photo attachment icon wouldn't let me just attach the photo: msg was "invalid url". This is the same way I have been posting pics for some time.)

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/2rifles.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/MarlinScoutblack.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/Rem700223Scout-1.jpg

I'm thinking about buying a bolt-action scout-type rifle. By "scout" I mean something with a short barrel, synthetic stock, and capable of being banged around in the field if the need arises. More than likely this gun will be used primarily for target shooting at short to medium distances, but will have a dual purpose in the event of a zombie apocalypse :D. Right now I'm thinking .308 because of the ammo availability, but would also consider .223 for the same reason. So with that in mind, what should I be looking at?

If that's really true, I'd go with a lever gun or AR variant.

Guest Lester Weevils

What would be the bruised sore shoulder coefficient in something like a Springfield Armory Scout Squad or DPMS 308 Panther?

• Admin Team
What would be the bruised sore shoulder coefficient in something like a Springfield Armory Scout Squad or DPMS 308 Panther?

Well, since some of the energy is redirected and used by the process of ejecting the old cartridge and chambering a new one, I would say that you can feel fairly confident that it would be less than it is with a bolt action rifle.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks. It stands to reason a semi .308 would make less of a bruise than a bolt-action anyway.

Was just curious. It seems easier to get a bruise than when I was younger. They don't usually hurt but look weird.

• Admin Team
Thanks. It stands to reason a semi .308 would make less of a bruise than a bolt-action anyway.Was just curious. It seems easier to get a bruise than when I was younger. They don't usually hurt but look weird.
A lot of things in life change. Unfortunately, Newton's Third Law is not one of them.