Would you pull the trigger? CATS

I have 17 (wild) cats and kittens in my back yard. My wife trys to feed the 3 that are tame but as you know if you place any food out there any and all will come to eat.

Most are to wild to catch.

She is away for a few more days.

Should I just shoot a few and bury them? I know that sounds cruel But I cant keep feeding them and then they in-turn just breed.

What do you think?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keinengel

Wild dogs are a problem in our area. along with the occasional Yote or yote/dog mix. A pack of feral dogs supposedly being led by a coyote mix was killing all the neighbors pets on the block a few years back. My friend and I hunted and killed a couple of them in the woods and we didn't have any reports of attacks after that. I didn't see the "leader" or the rest of the pack but I'm not complaing either.

I agree with TNRobocop. Take them out if they are a problem.

They need to be removed one way or another. ASPCA, Animal Control, TWRA, bird shot, ....

The cats will attract even more unpleasant things. A friend who lives near you had the classic "crazy cat lady" neighbor. Then the coyotes showed up. When the 'yotes began to go after my friend's cattle, he decided that was enough.

Even if you trap them and have them spayed and neutered for free. They will still be feral.. and I doubt the vet will give them all the shots they need , there is still a problem with feline leukemia and all kinds of other diseases and illnesses they can spread to non feral cats.

People feeding feral cats are not doing the cats a favor.

And I have 4 cats.. I know what feral cats can do family cats..

I had a slew of them in my barn. My crazy neighbor lady would put food out for them. She has a son that's a lawyer, and she's a real animal nut. So, I couldn't do anything.

Then I had a couple foxes show up.

Problem solved. And the foxes left with no more food.

I can let you borrow my dog he'll solve the problem...if not put a dish of food out in the middle of your yard along side a jar of sureshot and there you go problem solved. I HATE CATS!

Guest Sgt. Joe

My wife has the same problem with feeding every stray cat that wanders by, and then she wonders why they hang around:screwy: We are in the city but just barely and very near a huge wooded area I know that some of the cats she has fed were feral but for some reason those quit coming around....and no I didnt have anything to do with it. I could not get away with shooting them here even if I wanted to anyway. I figure one of the neighbors called whomever to come get them or took care of the problem themselves.:D

At our last house she started feeding a female stray and I swear that cat got knocked up every chance that she had and used my carport as a delivery room. This cycle went on for several years, the cat would disappear from time to time for a few days and then it would come back PG and get fed until the litter was born and after the nursing the cycle would start over. I pulled into my carport one evening and there had to be 20+ cats of various sizes scatter from in there. I will not say how that problem got solved but it did.

Just recently in the past few weeks she has started feeding another one, at least I can tell that this one was someone's house cat as it is always trying to get into the house and wants to play with the kids. I have caught it in the house a few times already. This one is also a Tom.....so long as he stays outside all will be well, if he keeps sneaking in or brings a lady friend home things will change quickly for all concerned.

BTW what ever happened to the dog chases cats thing? My dogs couldnt care any less about any cat coming around unless they come near the food bowls when the dogs are eating.....THEN the dogs care:rolleyes:

I truly LOVE dogs except the yapping ankle biters but I have no use for cats....some folks do and that is fine with me but I dont like them for a lot of reasons but the main one is that I am allergic to one thing in this world....cats.

If I get around them my eyes start burning and I start sneezing, if I even pick up a kitten I will break out in a horrible itching rash. I can not even visit folks who have house cats. That is actually how I figured out that the Tom was hanging around, I would go out on my deck and my eyes would start up.

If I was you Jeff I would solve that problem one way or another while she is gone.;)

I have a "havaheart" trap and I catch them and take them to an undisclosed location. Generally I am staunchly opposed to dumping animals, but a feral cat is born with skills. They can survive given a decent environment. I know of an old abandoned house. I've released dozens there.

Guest coldblackwind

Yup, we have them on campus, pain right in the posterior but obviously don't have the shooting option. Shoot em.

Guest boatme99

Fire away. Feral cats and dogs are pests. And before anyone whines, go take a look at an Australian gun forum. It's legal to hunt both there. They hunt cats and dogs like Americans hunt squirrels and coons.

And Caster-my house it NOT abandoned, it just looks that way. No more cats. Please! :screwy:

Edited by boatme99
I am still waiting for all the dog lovers who wet their pants every time someone mentions shooting an attacking dog to come to the defense of the cats. Where are they now?
Probably still crying over he last time I showed pictures of the group of feral dogs that tried to raid my chicken coop.

No collar, no mercy.

Mike