gun to replace my ruger p85

93civEJ1

I have a P85 9mm that I just have as my back up gun and that I take to shoot at the range when I go, but lately I am thinking I want to maybe sell it or trade it and get something different to try out. I have heard I can probably get about 300$ or so for it since its in good condition, has a case, 5 mags, and hogue grips....im just not what exactly for around the same price I could get that would be comparable that I would enjoy shooting and owning as a backup gun replacement. Thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For general use a Ruger P series pistol is hard to beat for value, strength and reliability. That being said they are kinda klunky and heavy. I have always said they should be sold by the pound. Another great value in pistols are police trade-in's. There are a lot of 3rd gen SW's in 9mm, 40SW and even 45ACP out there and I have found them to be good values. Others are Beretta 92/96's and Glock 17/22's. One I just came across and trying is the SW99 in 40sw. Never had one before and so far I like it a lot. Ergonomic, decent trigger w/re-strike capability (DA/SA with decocker but no hammer), good sights, lightweight, has been reliable and has a lifetime warranty from SW as I understand it. But then again, I love the 3rd gen SW's as house guns because of the magazine disconnect though I know many don't like that feature.

How about an P95? lol Seriously, I bought one on a whim and its sweet. I do like the grip better than an 85 (I have a late model one that is a bit stippled).

The Hogue grip makes the P85 feel much better than the P95 IMO. Other differences are insignificant.

I'll repeat my advice.... keep it. It's accurate and relatively cheap to shoot. I've also thought about selling mine and getting an XD, M&P, or something similar. However given my use of it, those guns only cost more. They don't actually do anything any better than the old workhorse.

Rent/borrow stuff first if you really do not know what you want. Selling or trading that ruger is going to lose you money regardless (their value compared to their quality is not a good ratio) so almost anything you can get in the same price range is going to be a downgrade, with the exception of a lucky find on a used gun or a good condition military surplus gun. If you sell it, throw another $200 with it, then buy something you do not like, you are right back to selling for a loss. I cannot recommend enough trying out a lot of stuff, write down the ones that you really liked, then ask again... "hey, I tried a glock model whatever and liked it, what is similar to it, looking for this or something like it, what are my options, etc?"

Your current question will get you a list of stuff, all very different, because we have nothing to go on to guide you. I could tell you how much I love my desert eagle, but it weights 5 pounds and costs $1500 and probably isnt the most sane thing to recommend to you, but how would I know?

If you like the ruger, keep it. Selling a gun you like is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Thats about as much good advice as I can give for you on this topic.

If you are looking to get a carry gun, are you thinking compact, subcompact, or fullsize. A range toy, or just a different home defense gun? Lots of decisions for you, I know, but try to determine your purpose first. A good range gun isn't always the best for cc or hd. You can pretty much make anything do all these things, but ease of use, carry and comfort level with the gun will all be a factor in the choice. And is there someone else going to use it? Wife? Girlfriend? Does the size make a differnce there?

Now... revolver or autoloader? Again, how used, who uses? A novice shooter, or someone familiar with guns?

And then we come to the big decision... what caliber do you want to get? Don't want to start a caliber war here, but again the above questions come into play. Who will use it? What purpose?

And how much to spend/can you afford? Keep the Ruger or sell? I know, I'm sending more questions than awnsers, but as you know, lots of possibilities there.

I can't tell you what to do, or what's best for you...but I'll tell you what I would do, and have done in the past.

First, if you can afford to, Keep the Ruger. You know it and should be comfortable with it. Maybe it's too big for a comfortable carry gun, but should be a great house/bedside weapon.

Secondly, as has been said, check the local shops for used, and police trades. I got a great SW Model 15 for 275. Also found a Smith 3913 in darn near perfect condition for about 325. And there are usually Glock trades available if you look enough.

Now...my personal choices.

If for cc: a Springer XD compact in 9 or 40, Glock 19, and low end, you can get a good Taurus PT in 9/40/45 usually pretty cheap.Yeah, I know not everyone likes them, but you arent buying for anyone but yourself.

Home defense. Just about anything will do. Having a weapon and knowing how to use it is the most imortant part. I have several in different places. A small j-frame Smith revolver for my wife, along with her Stoger 12guage Coach gun by the bed. A Springfield XD 9mm tactical with Surefire light by me, and other goodies sometimes lying around.

Just my opinion. What works for me, may not for you. Good Hunting.

Guest tymekeeper

I have several S&W's, 2 semi-autos and a revolver that I alternately use for general purpose and carrying. Each is my favorite when it's on my hip. The revolver is a model 36 chief's special with heavy 3" barrel. Sure it's a little more bulky than the shorter barrel, but I've had the other and I'm more accurate with this one. The other two are a 469 and a 669 which are identical compact 9mm's except the latter is stainless steel. Both are second-hand from police dept. upgrades. They are great for my concealed carry, very comfortable, easy to shoot, and reasonably accurate. I'd certainly recommend taking the time to find one.

Guest Roadkill Bill

For a fun gun you might think revolver. You can get an excellent used S&W K frame .38 for under $400, or a .357 for under $500. Reliable, accurate, and you'll love the grip - it doesn't have a magazine through the middle of it. You don't have to chase your brass at the range, and easy to clean. A .38+P makes a great home/self defense round. Now if you really want some fun, get a single action Ruger. Keep your P85. Like Jonnin said, you'll lose money on the deal.