Would you trade a Yugo for a Norinco Paratrooper?

Trekbike

Hey guys. I've currently got a Yugo that I've had about 1 1/2 years. I posted some refinishing pictures here last year.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/show-tell/34369-my-first-sks-refinishing-job.html

I found a Norinco Paratrooper that I was hoping to trade even for. Not sure if they will go for it or not. It is in good condition and I know they are harder to find than Yugo's. I like the Yugo but really took a liking to the Paratrooper due to the lighter weight and shorter length. Buying the Paratrooper outright and keeping the Yugo is not an option.

Would this be a good trade or should I just keep the Yugo.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA! When I first read this, I was thinking about a Yugo car that you fixed up. Then I saw the rifle in the pics. :)

I personally would hang on to the Yugo. If I am correct, the paratrooper model wasn't actually a regular issue variation of the SKS, but was done by Norinco to drum up sales in the export market. I'm a purist when it comes to military rifles, so I'd much rather have a genuine Yugo. Just my 2 cents worth.

Keep the Yugo. I love mine. Got it from Aim when they had them like new condition for $99.99 and free shipping. I had a C&R license back then. Wish I had bought 5 of them. Better SKS than the Chinese SKS rifles. gearyr

trade...yugo's are junk...the norinco has a chrome bore

I don't know if I'd agree that they are junk, but you are correct, the Norinco has a chrome bore while the Yugos don't. My understanding is that the Yugo rifles were beefier than the Chinese ones. Other than the chrome lined bore, what is the difference based on your examination of the guts of both? I have not disassembled a Yugo, so I can't speak for what the innards look like.

My understanding is that the Yugo rifles were beefier than the Chinese ones.

Yes the Yugo is a much more "beefier" gun compared to the Norinco. I guess in some ways that's better, other ways maybe not. The Paratrooper's lighter weight and shorter length is quite noticeable. In terms of quality I give the advantage to the Yugo IMHO.

The one area that sometimes is an issue with the Yugo's is the gas shutoff port to switch between regular firing and the grenade launcher. If the piston is worn you get blowby and it doesn't cycle correctly during normal firing. Mine is currently not having this problem but can occur. I don't launch grenades so right now it's just extra weight and length. It is one of the few SKS's that qualifies to be a C&R firearm IIRC.

The Paratrooper feels like a SBR compared to the Yugo which has really grabbed my interest. Don't get me wrong I like the Yugo too.

I'd trade. :)

The Yugos are nice rifles, but they're pretty common. The Paratroopers, while not a real military rifle, don't seem to turn up as often. If you want it, go for it. It would probably be easier to buy another Yugo later if you wanted than to buy a Paratrooper.

I would trade. I have seen the Norinco Paratrooper sell for as much as $500 on Gunbroker. The only other SKS rifle that sells for more are the Russian variants. I have one and it is a awesome little rifle the 16.25" barrel makes it feel like a SBR. Chrome lined bore and more accurate than any comparably sized AK. Since TN law does not consider stripper clips a "loaded magazine" it is a perfectly legal option for a trunk rifle. Coupled with a maxpedition bag with some ammo on strippers and a first aid kit makes a great little SHTF get me home setup. The Yugo guns are great and all but they are a dime a dozen. The Paratrooper may not be mil issue but it is a well built little gun that I have put many trouble free rounds downrange with. And if you end up not liking it then you can sell it and buy 2 yugos.

Here is a pic for size comparison with a folding stock AK:

P6020001.jpg

Edited by Urse

I'd trade. I've never had a Yugo, but I have had a couple of the Norinco and they are super rifles. The Para is much more valuable as well. The Chrome lined barrel is another plus. Of course, if you can work it out, keep the yugo and buy the paratroop. Either way it's a good quandary to be in.

Guest Roadkill Bill

I have not had any experience with the SKS, however, I have dealt with Chinese handguns in the past, and passed on all of them. Poor fit and finish, some felt like they had a 40 lb. trigger pull. (Hyperbole there folks, don't get excited.) Anyway, I hate dealing with the Chicoms any more than I have to. I'd keep the Yugo.

(I thought he was talking about a car, too, at first!) :doh:

I went to youtube to see about taking the useless grenade launcher off...it's a pain and it leaves threads on the end of the barrel. I look at it like this...the norinco is "combat" tested (Vietnam and Korea)...and it works. Well, come to think it...so has the Yugo.

Edited by bajabuc
Most paras have Non-chromed lined barrels since they where made for the commercial market they stuck the cheapest to manufacture barrel on them

This is wrong. I have owned a few and shot a few more of the Chinese guns and I have Never seen one without a chrome lined barrel. Not saying they do not exist but they are the exception and not as you suggest the rule. The budget Chinese rifles have a pinned barrel, stamped trigger groups and slab sided bolt carriers and the nicer rifles have screwed in barrel, milled trigger group and the bolt carriers have lightening cuts. Both however have chrome lined barrels.

Edited by Urse