Ultra Sonic Cleaning

I rolled the dice on an ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight. They had the larger one on sale for 74.99. At the register she asked if I want the 2 yr warrenty. It would save another 9 bucks off the price. Ok lets go with that. It rings up 59.99 and with the warrenty charge I saved 9 bucks :)

I get it home and set it up. A mild solution of simple green and water. Turn it on and it did not appear to be doing much. Stuck my finger in the water and it felt like a mild electric charge. OK, broke my Bersa 45 down and in it goes. Turned the heat on (oh yea it has heat) and set it for 4 minutes.

After 4 minutes i stick my hand in only to find the water as hot as a fresh cup of coffee. It does not come with a handled basket so after quickly fishing out the parts all I could say was WOW!

After an inspection and several more WOWs! I grab my 1911-22. surprisingly it fits completely in the basket too. 4minutes as before and WOW again.

Gonna give my Glocks a bath next.

I am sold on it. I read some nay sayers about the Harbor Freight unit not being big enough but it fit my 1911-22 just fine. Gets plenty hot and works great. Plus if it does break I have 2 years free replacement.

Edited by Dad03
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rolled the dice on an ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight. They had the larger one on sale for 74.99. At the register she asked if I want the 2 yr warrenty. It would save another 9 bucks off the price. Ok lets go with that. It rings up 59.99 and with the warrenty charge I saved 9 bucks :)

I get it home and set it up. A mild solution of simple green and water. Turn it on and it did not appear to be doing much. Stuck my finger in the water and it felt like a mild electric charge. OK, broke my Bersa 45 down and in it goes. Turned the heat on (oh yea it has heat) and set it for 4 minutes.

After 4 minutes i stick my hand in only to find the water as hot as a fresh cup of coffee. It does not come with a handled basket so after quickly fishing out the parts all I could say was WOW!

After an inspection and several more WOWs! I grab my 1911-22. surprisingly it fits completely in the basket too. 4minutes as before and WOW again.

Gonna give my Glocks a bath next.

I am sold on it. I read some nay sayers about the Harbor Freight unit not being big enough but it fit my 1911-22 just fine. Gets plenty hot and works great. Plus if it does break I have 2 years free replacement.

So what you're saying is that we should all bring our guns over to your house for cleaning :up:

Sounds great though. Not bad at all for $51.

I've been following this idea for a while now, watching for comments. What I've heard so far seems all positive. I've had a couple of guns clead Ultrasonically and been very satisfied. Meant to go looking for one myself today, but the wife's yard sale trip got me sidetracked in the morning.

So there's tomorrow...

PS Simple Green and some other solutions will etch aluminum and maybe some other alloys so be careful. I use dishwashing soap and water on most of my stuff. On Glocks I use the SG and water. I know that SG will etch aluminum cause I have aluminum hooks I made to keep the HF US cleaner's plastic screen off the floor of the tub and the aluminum hooks are etched pretty good now.

How well does it clean overall - better than brush and mop?

Also, I'm guessing it's safe for the whole gun (minus any aluminum as stated above) but doesn't that leave water down in the hard to reach areas like the trigger, striker/firing pin mechanisms and rifling which would have to air dry and be susceptible to rust?

How well does it clean overall - better than brush and mop?

Also, I'm guessing it's safe for the whole gun (minus any aluminum as stated above) but doesn't that leave water down in the hard to reach areas like the trigger, striker/firing pin mechanisms and rifling which would have to air dry and be susceptible to rust?

With plastic/polymer guns I clean them and set them out in the sun to dry(so I don't clean them unless it's hot and sunshining. with all metal guns IE Beretta 92 for instance I clean the gun, turn the over on 250 and let the oven dry the gun completely, then I oil.

PS Simple Green and some other solutions will etch aluminum and maybe some other alloys so be careful. I use dishwashing soap and water on most of my stuff. On Glocks I use the SG and water. I know that SG will etch aluminum cause I have aluminum hooks I made to keep the HF US cleaner's plastic screen off the floor of the tub and the aluminum hooks are etched pretty good now.

The lemon oil in lemon scented dish detergent can also attack aluminum. Both acidic and alkaline solutions can attack aluminum. With typically mild solutions, the process is very slow, exposure is relatively short, and the self-passivation action of the aluminum makes it a non-issue. Ultrasonic agitation accelerates the process considerably. A more powerful ultrasonic agitator (commercial strength) will destroy aluminum in pure water.

Frequently Asked Questions

Looking through the current Sportsman Guide flyer I see a Sonic Cleaner from Lyman for $129.97 looks excatly like the HF sonic cleaner minus the Lyman logo and some other writing. The digital control board, lid, shape, size , etc all the same.

Searched the internet and found this same unit with other manufacturers logo on it.

Probably one manufacturer making it for all these guys. Just prices varying greatly.

Guest nysos

I may go pick one up at harbor freight if they are this cheap. I may look into some different cleaning solutions though. As far as breakdown, did you just do a fieldstrip or a detail strip? I am assuming a field strip would probably be enough on most guns as the sonic action would break loose most of the gunk even inside, as long as it has somewhere to come out.

I am assuming a field strip would probably be enough on most guns as the sonic action would break loose most of the gunk even inside, as long as it has somewhere to come out.

Field strip may not even be necessary. That's the whole benefit of this method.

Guest drv2fst

Just picked one up at Harbor Freight Tools. Was marked $74 on the shelf but if you buy the $9 service plan they mark it down to $54. Can't wait to try it out.