Carrying multiple state conceal permits

First off, thanks for having me here. :screwy:

I don't have my conceal permit...yet, but I'll probably be taking the class here in the next few weeks.

It's very likely soon I'll be all over the US for work and plan on carrying. What's the best combination of conceal permits to carry in combination with a TN permit to cover the maximum number of states? Is it even necessary to carry more than TN?

I did some searching here but didn't come up with anything.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard.

First of all, Tennessee doesn't issue a "concealed" permit. It's a Handgun Carry Permit. Open carry is legal in Tennessee, but I and many others on here would advise that it's a bad idea.

Your Tennessee HCP is among the most widely accepted/recognized carry credentials in the U.S., covering you in 34 or so states. You can check out www.handgunlaw.us for a 50 state map tool and more information.

If you want to, after you get your Tennessee HCP, you can apply for a number of non-resident permits from other states. For example, I hold non-resident credentials from New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.

Welcome aboard.

First of all, Tennessee doesn't issue a "concealed" permit. It's a Handgun Carry Permit. Open carry is legal in Tennessee, but I and many others on here would advise that it's a bad idea.

Your Tennessee HCP is among the most widely accepted/recognized carry credentials in the U.S., covering you in 34 or so states. You can check out www.handgunlaw.us for a 50 state map tool and more information.

If you want to, after you get your Tennessee HCP, you can apply for a number of non-resident permits from other states. For example, I hold non-resident credentials from New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.

Here's the USA Carry site that I use, too, if you like a visual aide: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

... What's the best combination of conceal permits to carry in combination with a TN permit to cover the maximum number of states? Is it even necessary to carry more than TN?

You can carry in 37 states with a TN permit (plus Wisconsin soon, presumably).

The last time I researched it, you could add Washington state by adding a Utah non-resident permit, and that was the only state you could gain with any TN permit combo.

You can double check on handgunlaw.us to see.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Welcome aboard.

Why do you guys advise against open carry?

"You guys" is not necessarily even a majority opinion, but please, don't derail this thread with open carry debate, ok?

- OS

Sorry wasn't debating or trying to derailed the thread. Just was curious.

I said "guys" because he said himself and others.

You can carry in 37 states with a TN permit (plus Wisconsin soon, presumably).

The last time I researched it, you could add Washington state by adding a Utah non-resident permit, and that was the only state you could gain with any TN permit combo.

You can double check on handguncarry.us to see.

- OS

This is correct regarding Washington State. I had a Utah, Florida, and a couple of other states' non-resident permits, and as of a few years ago, the TN permit became valid in every state that the other permits were. I let my other states permits expire because of that, and Utah, because I'm not travelling to Washington any time in the forseeable future.

As far as the open carry question, without going into it here, you can search and probably find several other threads on open carry on this forum.

Guest justluck

With your TN permit, you're about as good as it gets. The cost of adding another state (via a non-resident permit from another state) isn't worth the cost.

With your TN permit, you're about as good as it gets. The cost of adding another state (via a non-resident permit from another state) isn't worth the cost.

If I spent much time in Washington State each year, it would be.

- OS

Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the correction on verbiage. I generically called it concealed because I have no intention of open carry, aside from possibly sticking the gun between the seat and center console while driving, but even then I don't know.

Thank you for all the links everyone. I now see it's pretty pointless unless I get an out of state FL permit for WA. I'm trying to stay regional with my job so I'm hoping the NE isn't going to be an issue.

You will need to research every state you intend on carrying in; it’s a big responsibility.

True that, it'll be exhausting.

Here's the USA Carry site that I use, too, if you like a visual aide: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Truly useful! Thanks.

...If you want to, after you get your Tennessee HCP, you can apply for a number of non-resident permits from other states. For example, I hold non-resident credentials from New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.

Why?

- OS

I obtained PA and FL non-resident permits last year, but my TN permit now covers most of the states I plan to enter. I'll add VA and TX this year. The states that remain uncovered, won't see me cross their boundaries.

You can't have too many guns, hound dogs or carry permits!

Guest justluck
I obtained PA and FL non-resident permits last year, but my TN permit now covers most of the states I plan to enter. I'll add VA and TX this year. The states that remain uncovered, won't see me cross their boundaries.

You can't have too many guns, hound dogs or carry permits!

Just asking and not trying to be a smart butt;but, what are the advantages of having PA and FL in addition to TN? I know you get WA; but, any other advantages?

I have an AL (which is not nearly the good coverage as TN) and PA. PA because of states it provides in that area where I do some travel.

Thanks

I obtained PA and FL non-resident permits last year, but my TN permit now covers most of the states I plan to enter. I'll add VA and TX this year. ///
Just asking and not trying to be a smart butt;but, what are the advantages of having PA and FL in addition to TN? I know you get WA; but, any other advantages?...

Yeah, FL gets you Washington, but other than that, why on earth have a PA, VA, or TX?

- OS

What are people's opinions of open carrying in your car?

As a former cop I don’t what a Police Officer walking up on me until I have had a chance to tell him I’m carrying.

What if someone sees your gun and calls in and says you pointed it at them? They have your vehicle description with tag number, your description, and a description of your gun. Probably enough to land you in court and possibly a felony conviction.

Not me... open carry is for at the range or out in the country; not in-town or while driving around.

Out of all the states that do not honor TN permits only Washington and Maine honor some other state's permits..the others that don't honor TN don't honot ANY other state's permits.

I wrote the Washtington Attorney General a few years ago and the reason I was given about why they didn't honor TN permits has been addressed in the law since then. Not sure why they don't honor TN permits yet. From what I can tell about Maine they only honor states that they have written agrements with.

I have contacted my Rep about the above and his office replied back a somewhat generic response they got from the Commisioner of Safety's office about reciproicty...but I may try to follow up a bit more on it.

Guest bkelm18
As a former cop I don’t what a Police Officer walking up on me until I have had a chance to tell him I’m carrying.

What if someone sees your gun and calls in and says you pointed it at them? They have your vehicle description with tag number, your description, and a description of your gun. Probably enough to land you in court and possibly a felony conviction.

Not me... open carry is for at the range or out in the country; not in-town or while driving around.

:usa: I think if someone wants to screw you that bad, they won't need to see your gun to do it. Thank god there's a little thing called burden of proof. Your fictitious frightened motorist won't have it.

:usa: I think if someone wants to screw you that bad, they won't need to see your gun to do it. Thank god there's a little thing called burden of proof. Your fictitious frightened motorist won't have it.

As usual you don’t know WTF you are talking about. I call the cops and tell them you pulled a gun and pointed it at me during a road rage incident; I describe you, your car, and the gun. You are getting arrested. And if a judge or jury believes me you are getting convicted.

Edited by DaveTN

I'm not too worried about that. Car is hard to see in (corvette and tinted windows), probably would see the grip only if you walked up and stuck your head in the window. Black gun, black interior, black holster.

I've had a trooper say he doesn't care if he comes up and it's laying on the seat. He'll ask about it and go from there. He also said if he doesn't ask if you have a gun, don't tell him you do.

I'm not too worried about that. Car is hard to see in (corvette and tinted windows), probably would see the grip only if you walked up and stuck your head in the window. Black gun, black interior, black holster.

Then it’s a moot point isn’t it? I guess that makes the question moot. :doh:

I've had a trooper say he doesn't care if he comes up and it's laying on the seat. He'll ask about it and go from there. He also said if he doesn't ask if you have a gun, don't tell him you do.

If leaving a gun lying out in the open and not informing a Police Officer when he stops you makes sense to you; that is what you should.

I'm sure ALL LEO'S are in agreement b/c one state trooper said so...........