Chattanooga

On fellers, the wife and I are going to Chattanooga in 2 weeks. We are going to do some of the tourist stuff. What are some great eating places and what gun shops are a must? Thanks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheese burger, cheese burger.

Ruby falls, incline railway is interesting for a first trip and 3d imax

and the aquarium is pretty nice if you like that kind of thing.

Edit to put cheese burger first. BTW, it is close to imax and aquarium.

I guess you will be in nice driving distance of Hero Gear.

Edited by vontar

There are two Academy Sports and one of only four Sportsman Warehouse stores left in the south.

Of course, if your spousal unit is a mallite, Hamilton Place is still largest in the state? If not, thorough in the surrounding stores in the immediate area and it certainly must be. Mall is posted on main doors, btw, not on satellite store entrances.

Also a Civil War buff's delight.

The Dodger's AA Lookouts play downtown, if you're into baseball.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

On my way to Chattanooga, I would stop by Outpost Armory and Hero Gear. Once you get to Chattanooga, there aren't many gun shops. The best shop is our newest, Shooter's Depot, which is off of Hwy 153. Carl at Sportsman Supply has some great shotguns for sell. Unfortunately, most of them aren't displayed. Sportsman Warehouse has a big selection of firearms. They are also off of 153.

If you are an outdoorsy type then it is paradise -visit parks, camp, hang-glide, climb or raft the Ocoee or Hiwassee

If you are going as a tourist...Go downtown and stay downtown. There isn't anything in the areas that isn't found at any big city.

If you want a unique hotel you can stay at a room in the Delta Queen riverboat. All the other hotels are nice too, but pricey. If you have kids an indoor pool will beat the heat.

Everything touristy is downtown within a couple of miles with few exceptions. You need to go to the aquarium and make across the pedestrian bridge to cooledge park. Lookout Mtn has a couple of tourist traps, but point park and Rock city are pretty cool.

If you all have bikes and it is cool enough then I highly suggest bringing them and riding the distance of the Riverpark. 20+ miles round trip and GREAT fun. Also Chickamauga Battlefield is best visited on a bike.

Places to eat depend on your tastes. Sticky Fingers is the best rib eating outside of Memphis. Cheeburger-Cheeburger is ok but pricey. The chain places are there also and make the family happy. Taco Mac is good too. Clumpy's ice cream on frazier ave is worth a walk over the bridge.

Obviously....don't wonder around at night away from the popular places. Same as any big city.

Gun shops-

If you have a gps map then go to GT distributors - You will never find prices as low as you find there. For example they had two Glock model 34 pistols there for $360 used

...just don't get lost because that area is rough as a cobb.

Gun shops-

If you have a gps map then go to GT distributors - You will never find prices as low as you find there. For example they had two Glock model 34 pistols there for $360 used

Good one. I always forget about them because I never get to go in there. They are closed on the weekends.

If you are an outdoorsy type then it is paradise -visit parks, camp, hang-glide, climb or raft the Ocoee or Hiwassee

If you are going as a tourist...Go downtown and stay downtown. There isn't anything in the areas that isn't found at any big city.

If you want a unique hotel you can stay at a room in the Delta Queen riverboat. All the other hotels are nice too, but pricey. If you have kids an indoor pool will beat the heat.

Everything touristy is downtown within a couple of miles with few exceptions. You need to go to the aquarium and make across the pedestrian bridge to cooledge park. Lookout Mtn has a couple of tourist traps, but point park and Rock city are pretty cool.

If you all have bikes and it is cool enough then I highly suggest bringing them and riding the distance of the Riverpark. 20+ miles round trip and GREAT fun. Also Chickamauga Battlefield is best visited on a bike.

Places to eat depend on your tastes. Sticky Fingers is the best rib eating outside of Memphis. Cheeburger-Cheeburger is ok but pricey. The chain places are there also and make the family happy. Taco Mac is good too. Clumpy's ice cream on frazier ave is worth a walk over the bridge.

Obviously....don't wonder around at night away from the popular places. Same as any big city.

Gun shops-

Thanks a bunch

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Good one. I always forget about them because I never get to go in there. They are closed on the weekends.

GOOD NEWS...I just got a flier in the mail a few days ago from GT Distributors and they will now be open on Saturdays from 9am to 2 pm. I guess alot of people were demanding it. I'll have to try to go by there more often

hamilton place is no good, its anti gun and high crime area to boot, tons of theft from vehicles in that area. Avoid like the plague. The shops nearby are not so bad and good food surrounds it.

Gun stores, shooters depo is great, and a lot of pawn shops with a few guns. Sportsmans and academy are great, and Dick's as well has some gun stuff.

Hero gear is a long, long drive from here, close to 2 hours? And while its a great shop, its not 2 hours extra driving great unless you have like $3k to spend on something hard to find and high quality like a custom 1911 or AR.

Im jaded toward the tourist stuff, the aquarium area is crowded and expensive and the imax refuses to show anything excpet "man created all evils that destroy the world" or other nature shows. Seriously you go to see some cool show and its always "lookit the horrible stuff man did to these critters" -- you cant enjoy the show for it. They refuse to play theater 3-d movies. The stuff on the mountain is ok but ghetto... rock city has... rocks. Ruby falls has... more rocks. The incline is a nice ride up thru a somewhat rough neighborhood, but the leaves can be OK on that in the fall. It isnt fall right now.

Of all that stuff, the railroad stuff isnt bad, the incline and mountain stuff isnt bad if you like rocks, the aquarium is very good if you like fish and critters. The river boat and river gorge tours are nice. Most of the rest of it is high priced waste of time. Goonie golf and lake winnie (small amusement park) are nice for kids, as is the creative discovery museum.

Chatt is designed to keep you out of most of the areas downtown, they want you to stay in the expensive area near the aquarium mostly or the mall areas. This is for 2 reasons: 1) its high priced and they want to pick your pocket and 2) chatt is a bit rough right now, the other areas have a lot of crime. Stay in the better areas after dark for sure, and avoid the walking bridge and park near the aquarium, or crossing the river (opposite the aquarium, that park is on the far side as well).

Edited by Jonnin
hamilton place is no good, its anti gun and high crime area to boot, tons of theft from vehicles in that area. Avoid like the plague. The shops nearby are not so bad and good food surrounds it.

All the perfect victim blue hairs from my mom's clique/church have gone there since it opened. Never a hint of trouble. Seems much safer than our best mall here in Knoxville. And I fail to see why you consider other beau coup parking lots 100 yards or less from Hamilton's to be safer.

Though I only enter once in a while at my Mom's request, they do let me in with my gun through Sears and the other satellite stores, no probs.

- OS

Lol sorry. The stuff around it is safer because you can carry there. Its not really unsafe at the mall, it just has a very high number of theft from vehicles --- assaults are very, very rare there. Living and working next to it has been an eye opener about that issue.

I am not really all that bitter, I listed some good stuff to look for too! Just trying to warn him off from the stuff that is over hyped or overpriced etc. The aquarium is awesome, by the way, I didnt say that but its worth the crowds and parking issues to see it.

Where to stay: Chattanooga Choo Choo. Beautiful hotel. They have the most elegant bar you'll ever see. They have an "up scale" eats on site that is mediocre, at best. But, you are within walking distance (or horse and buggy ride) from a few very nice restaurants.

What to do: I love the Riverpark\riverwalk. 10 mile stretch of sidewalk that is absolutely beautiful. Once you get away from the downtown part, you'll get away from all of the tourists.

Coolidge park and the North River area is great. Lots of outdoorsy activities and lots of yuppie shops are in this area.

Great place to go people watch if nothing else. I can sit down there all day just watching the paddle boards. The park get's a bit harry at night but I doubt you'll be up that late.

Where to eat: I like anything around "Jack's Alley". Taco Mac is a favorite. Great food. HUGE beer list. And if you don't like beer, they have 125 different verities of water. Seriously!

Vaudeville Cafe is a hoot. Vaudeville Cafe Stand-Up Comedy and Murder Mystery Dinner Shows in Chattanooga, TN

Someone mentioned Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. Stay away! Way over priced crappy burger. This place is only in business because of tourists and it's proximity to the aquarium.

Gun shops: GT Distributors, bar-none. They're as cheep as any web based store and has just as much cool stuff, too. (note, if ya have something you want, ask them. They keep most stuff in the back and not in the show room) Pay no 'tention to the area comment. It's not that bad. Especially at GT's where you'll only find about 234297634 cops in the parking lot. ;)

The incline is a nice ride up thru a somewhat rough neighborhood, but the leaves can be OK on that in the fall. It isnt fall right now.

Hamilton place is not a bad area.

Neither is St. Elmo where the Incline is located. Maybe a few years ago, but certainly not today.

As mentioned... TN Aquarium & IMAX, the Lookouts if you like baseball. The Creative Discovery Museum if you have kids, Hunter Art Museum if you don't. Choo-Choo, Incline Railway, and the Rail Road Museum are neat. I like Ruby Falls and Point Park. Rock City is neat, once. Chickamauga Battlefield for a little history. A cruise on the Riverboat. Cooldidge Park and the Riverwalk are nice.

I like the Big River micro-brew, less than a block from the Aquarium. I believe they have a "sampler", so you get a small glass of each of their offerings. The Station House Resturant at the Choo-Choo has singing servers. If you'd like to impress your better half with an elegant meal, Dinner on the Diner Car is nice. Otherwise, there's lots of good places to eat around.

As far as eateries go, there are some good places over in the Hamilton Place/Gunbarrel Road area. I like the Chop House, and last time I was there, they were not posted.

The City Cafe on Lee Hwy has great food, but they have a handmade "no weapons allowed on premises" sign on the door, and a legal posting on the wall by the register. They are the one exception I make about not patronizing anti-gun businesses because their food is so good.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite. :)

Guest tommy62

Safest place in TN. Everything's posted.

We don't have a gang problem...just ask our mayor.

Edited by tommy62
If your downtown and like pasta you need to try Tony's Pasta its close to the museum.

MMMMMM.....Tony's.

Back Inn cafe is right across the way, and fantastic as well. Plus, with either place, you can stop at Rembrandt's for coffee and dessert.

There are a lot of good restaurants in the area, for sure. St. Johns, the Meeting place, Public House, Table Two, Nikko's South Side Grille. I could keep going.

Someone else mentioned the walking bridge. If you venture across that way from the aquarium side, take a left and go to Clumpy's for Ice Cream.