Kimber

Guest olddog

Guest olddog

My son went to the range the other day and someone let him shoot a 9mm kimber. he was very impressed. what does everyone think about kimber's quality, length of life, cust. serv, & etc.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like mine. I'd suggest getting some quality mags for it since the Kimber mags kinda suck and caused a few hang ups for me. Swapped them for Wilson's and it solved the problem. Would also consider upgrading the slide release. These two "upgrades" solved any issues I had before. On the flip side, my buddy has shot it a few times and says he'd prefer another 1911.

9mm 1911s are a lot of fun to shoot. Minimal recoil and lots of accuracy.

I have had several Kimbers pass through my hands, including the one I carry and trust my life to. All were great weapons, no issues with any. HIGHLY recommend them!

Krunchnik, she still looks good!

Edited by Glock30

I have had four Kimbers since I have been owning firearms. I have two of them still today. All four Kimbers that I have owned have been very reliable. All of the models I have owned have been .45 cal and I have never had any FTF or FTE from any of them. It does take around 500 rounds to get the Kimbers working perfectly, but they get better the more you shoot them. I currently own a Super Carry Pro and a Super Carry Pro HD.

I was just recently in the market for a 9mm 1911 and after lots of research and forum reading heres what i came up with. IF you looking to buy a compact 9mm 1911 i would sugguest a springfield emp. If your looking for a full size the STI trojan. I ened up picking up the emp and love it.

I have owned more 1911’s than I can count. Kimber was my favorite until S&W jumped in the game. The Kimbers I owned had accuracy that I would put up against the guns with some guys name on the side, and exceptional reliability and quality. I haven’t had one made in the last ten years, the haters say their quality has dropped; I don’t know about that.

I’d love to have a 1911 in 9mm, (cheap trigger time) but I really hate to pay as much as one in the real caliber. :confused:

I have no idea what their quality used to be like, but I had two recently manufactured Kimbers, a Tactical II HD and an Ultra Raptor II. Both were fine guns, and I didn't have any problems with them. However, I don't like the alloy frame on Kimber's Ultra series (just personal preference).

I have no idea what their quality used to be like, but I had two recently manufactured Kimbers, a Tactical II HD and an Ultra Raptor II. Both were fine guns, and I didn't have any problems with them. However, I don't like the alloy frame on Kimber's Ultra series (just personal preference).

Or the plastic mainspring housings. Both the Desert Warrior and the Stainless II had them. Moved on to less money and as good or better performance.

I don’t like an alloy frame on any 1911 unless that alloy is stainless steel.

I also prefer the frame of my pistols be SS. I chose a .40 EMP over a 9mm for that reason.

I've had a Kimber Ultra CDP II for several years and it's been accurate and dependable. As others have said, I've used Wilson magazines in it.

I like mine. I'd suggest getting some quality mags for it since the Kimber mags kinda suck and caused a few hang ups for me. Swapped them for Wilson's and it solved the problem. Would also consider upgrading the slide release. These two "upgrades" solved any issues I had before. On the flip side, my buddy has shot it a few times and says he'd prefer another 1911.

+1 for swapping out the Kimber mags for Wilson for carry. I still use my Kimber mags at the range, along with my McCormick mags, which have also given me a couple of issues.

Guest Eagle One

I just aquired a Kimber Ultra Covert II and it really shoots great. I have only shot it in my backyard a few times and it has done great. First outing, I racked a round into the chamber and pressed the trigger and it went boom and then the second round did not feed, I corrected the problem and the next rounds went off without a hitch. Looking forward to a long, safe, trouble free relationship with Kimber....

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Kimber about 2 years ago from a gun shop here in Chattanooga. It was a 3" blue model. I put some $55 dollar grips on it and a set of the best looking green night sights I have ever seen in my life. However... it hung up at least one round per clip. I sent it back to Kimber and they blew me off like I was a loser who didn`t matter. It came back from Kimber and still hung up. I finally traded it in on a Colt Defender. I have never had one bit of problem with it at all. I love that Colt. That in a nutshell is my experience with Kimber, not good at all. Thanks.

Guest drv2fst

Mixed reviews from me.

My first 1911 was a Kimber USA Team Match II. It was out of this world accurate and I loved how well I shot with it. However, it would hang up about one round out of every mag. It was a great range gun but I wouldn't carry it. I sent it bak to Kimber and they reported that nothing was wrong. It still had the same problem. I tried several different types of mags. I tried several different shooters, to make sure it wasn't something that I was doing. I never could get it to be reliable. I'm sure if I would have paid a good local 1911 smith to troubleshoot it, I could have worked out the reliability kinks. I wish I had tried that before getting rid of it. But that shouldn't be my job, Kimber should have fixed it when I sent it to them.

Years later I took a chance on another Kimber. This one is a Crimson Carry Pro. It has the aluminum alloy frame. It is very reliable. It is in my carry rotation. I feel very confident with it. It is not as accurate as my steel framed Wilson Combat 1911, but I didn't expect it to be. I love the light weight frame when carrying all day.

So, I like their guns but not their service.

I also am in the market for a 1911 in 9mm.