Open Carry triggers school lock-down -- Police say HCP holder did nothing wrong

Rutherford County Sheriff & Smyrna Police properly sort things out after HCP holder's open carry freaks out school-people:

Gun-toting man near Stewarts Creek was taking morning walk | The Daily News Journal | dnj.com

Note especially the comment section after the story. The anti-gun nuts may whip themselves into a frenzy over this. A few sensible heads from this group may be able to settle it down. . . .

Edited by QuietDan
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps walking within sight of the school crossing guard while open carrying wasn't the smartest thing to do. Regarding the "lock down"... Put yourself in the cops' position. What else could they do? It's a school. Could you live with the consequences of under-reacting to a perceived threat?

Guest Old goat

I don't buy the "perceived threat" logic. He was not on school property, he wasn't doing anything illegal, wasn't waving the gun around. He was walking. Maybe not wise but probably didn't think anything about it.

I don't buy the "perceived threat" logic. He was not on school property, he wasn't doing anything illegal, wasn't waving the gun around. He was walking. Maybe not wise but probably didn't think anything about it.

Perhaps it never occurred to the guy. However, all the cops know is that there's a MWAG near a school full of kids, maybe even their kids. Again, what else could they do?

Guest TresOsos

Agree with the most of the comments here but all of this could probably have been avoid if the HCP holder had simply covered his gun with a t-shirt. Glad he didn't get shot or arrested.

Agree with the most of the comments here but all of this could probably have been avoid if the HCP holder had simply covered his gun with a t-shirt. Glad he didn't get shot or arrested.

He was legal. I've always felt that open carry was asking for trouble, but I'm starting to swing the other way. I am TOTALLY fed up with panic stricken idiots. Lock-downs, evacuations, and junk fondling at the airport. :rolleyes::panic::panic:

Guest TresOsos
He was legal. I've always felt that open carry was asking for trouble, but I'm starting to swing the other way. I am TOTALLY fed up with panic stricken idiots. Lock-downs, evacuations, and junk fondling at the airport. :rolleyes::panic::panic:

I'm tired of it too..really really tired of it. However I don't want to be pushing up daisies because of some ones overreaction.

Better safe than sorry, I'll cover my weapon....old saying...play *ussy long enough your going to get *u*ked.

That was at my son's school. I saw several cop cars rushing in that direction with their lights going, then several more staked out around the school. When we got there, a teacher was rushing the kids into the school.

I totally understand the concept of concealed carry to not "spook the horses", but I wonder if more people did open carry (on the street, not at the mall) if the sheeple would become more accustomed to it and not react so abruptly and cause such a scene.

there was one comment about where the person commenting could not understand why someone needed to carry a gun in this location as it was a safe place more or less. He then went on to point out NYC, Washington DC and LA as places that are not safe and that's where guns should be carried. Obviously failing to connect the dots that you can't carry in NYC or DC and it is near impossible to carry in LA. What a maroon.

Open carrying a gun around a school while kids are going to school is ignorant. The school did what they are expected to do; the Police did what they are required to do.

Police investigated and determined that he was not a threat. He was not arrested.

Short of not responding to a man with a gun call (that should never happen) I don’t know what else could have been done.

I totally understand the concept of concealed carry to not "spook the horses", but I wonder if more people did open carry (on the street, not at the mall) if the sheeple would become more accustomed to it and not react so abruptly and cause such a scene.

I think that those that are inclined to spook always will, whether they see 1 gun or 100. Seeing it more often will not convince them that it is "normal". I think it is more likely to convince them that the problem is getting worse and more should be done to prevent it.

I am perfectly happy if no one ever knows I'm carrying.

Guest tnalways4me

I have been carrying since I got my permit about a month and a half ago, and I still have yet to see anyone carrying, either open or concealed. Anyone got any tips for scoping it out? I want to see a fellow citizen packing heat!

It's going to depend on the gun they have.

I have a Ruger LCP so mine will be hard if not impossible to see concealed. My brother in law on the other hand has a Glock 9MM (not sure which one) but even with his (hip holster) and a long t-shirt my sister doesn't even always know when he has it on him. However if you watch closely you can see some. Just depends on how careful or "unknowing" some people want to be.

With the ability to open carry there are people that conceal but it's just a shirt over a hip holster. Like my brother in law. If someone does see it, you have a permit and can open carry. But the average person will not look close enough to see it.