I just got a new XD9

Patton

I just got a new XD 9 after seperation anxiety from getting rid of my old XD 40. The offer for the 3 additional magazines and the extra mag carrier is what presuaded the offer. I got a Military discount to so it was about $475 out the door. Not bad considering I'm getting the gun, 5mags, and that cheap xd crap.

I'm actually posting becasue my mind is intrigued. Heres the deal, the grip of the XD9 and the XD40 are the same. Also the grip of my Glock 19 and a Glock 23 are the same. So why does a XD 9 hold one more round than a Glock 19 but a XD40 holds one less round than a Glock 23?

Edited by Patton
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a new XD 9 after seperation anxiety from getting rid of my old XD 40. The offer for the 3 additional magazines and the extra mag carrier is what presuaded the offer. I got a Military discount to so it was about $475 out the door. Not bad considering I'm getting the gun, 5mags, and that cheap xd crap.

I'm actually posting becasue my mind is intrigued. Heres the deal, the grip of the XD9 and the XD40 are the same. Also the grip of my Glock 19 and a Glock 23 are the same. So why does a XD 9 hold one more round than a Glock 19 but a XD40 holds one less round than a Glock 23?

Well patton, that's equally as much magazine design as frame. I recently sold all my XD factory magazines and replced them with Mecgar magazines. Mecgar makes VERY good magazines, and the black finish I like better than the shiny factory. To boot they hold 18 where as the factory holds 16. They fit flush just like the factory mags, and all mine have fed flawlessly.

Well patton, that's equally as much magazine design as frame....

Speaking to mag design, the original XD 9 subcompact only held 10 rounds, but about the time the XDMs came out, they redesigned it to hold 13, still flush fit.

I believe the original XD .40 subbie gained one round, from 8 to 9, at about same time with similar design change?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
fixed quote
Speaking to mag design, the original XD 9 subcompact only held 10 rounds, but about the time the XDMs came out, they redesigned it to hold 13, still flush fit.

I believe the original XD .40 subbie gained two rounds, from 10 to 12, at about same time with similar design change.

- OS

The original service model was ten also. They came out a while before the sunset. When I bought mine they were new on the scene, barely a month after introduction. It came with two 10 round magazines.

The original service model was ten also. They came out a while before the sunset. When I bought mine they were new on the scene, barely a month after introduction. It came with two 10 round magazines.

Yeah, but that was a legal reason rather than an engineering one. XD service is still sold with 10 round mags for the several states that still have that limit, as are all major handgun brands.

The change from 10-13 (9mm) and 8-9 (.40)? in the XD sub compact was accomplished by re-engineering the mags.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Great choice. You won't be disappointed.I have an SC myself, but have been wondering if a Service model will suit better.

For concealed carry? Why?

Throw a 16 rounder in the subbie if you want, but handgun butt is the hardest part to conceal, hence the shorter grip and reduced capacity of all the various subcompact brands. And gaining only 3 rounds from 13 to 16 at the expense of significant more difficulty in concealing, ain't really a quantum leap or anything.

If for open carry or not carry at all, sure the 4" barrel will help accuracy. Or go for the 5" model.

I have all three of the original XDs in 9mm, and all three are winners.

myXDs2.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added pic
Guest motonut

I believe the original XD .40 subbie gained one round, from 8 to 9, at about same time with similar design change?

- OS

Purchased my XD40 SC in June of '08, came with (1) 9 round and (1) 12 round mag w/ extension. Still have the original product spec sheet PDF that was on Springfield's web site at the time.

My XD, even in SC frame, is a great shooter.

Edited by motonut
Purchased my XD40 SC in June of '08, came with (1) 9 round and (1) 12 round mag w/ extension. Still have the original product spec sheet PDF that was on Springfield's web site at the time....

I guess it was only the 9mm model that gained rounds then, wasn't sure ... thanks.

- OS