M & P 9 pro series ?

Deerbnb

ok, been looking at one. any input from the crowd. Is it worth the extra money for the pro series ? I like the slightly better trigger pull and the front sight. I have not shot an M & P at all but it feels good in my hand. I have an opportunity to shoot a M & P this coming weekend so I am gonna try at least the standard model 1st before I get to diggin in my checkbook.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sort of depends on what you plan to do with it. If you are going to take it out of the box and use it as is then it is well worth the money. I shot my 9Pro stock for about a year before doing anything to it. The sights are nice and the trigger is improved over the stock guns. If you are planning to do any upgrades to it then you might want to think about going with the 9L. It is the same length but has the stock trigger and standard sights. Many people who shoot any type of competition with them will want to upgrade either gun to the APEX trigger parts. They are well worth the money.

The Pro is a fine gun straight out of the box and will do you well. If you plan to upgrade sights or trigger parts then the 9L would be recommended. This is assuming you want the 5" gun. The same applies to the stock gun too if the service model would make you happy.

Guest bkelm18
I would get the regular model and put in the Apex DCAEK.

Mike

This. The Apex internals are an extremely good investment. I've put them in both M&Ps I've owned. Vast improvement over stock trigger.

• Administrator
I would get the regular model and put in the Apex DCAEK.

Mike

This.

IMO the Pro is nice for folks who don't have the mechanical inclination to tie their own shoes and can't install the DCAEK or just prefer to let the factory do the work for some reason. If it were me I'd get a M&P 9L, drop in the DCAEK, add some Warren Tactical sights and call it a day.

This.

IMO the Pro is nice for folks who don't have the mechanical inclination to tie their own shoes and can't install the DCAEK or just prefer to let the factory do the work for some reason. If it were me I'd get a M&P 9L, drop in the DCAEK, add some Warren Tactical sights and call it a day.

TGO David and others , not to go astray but this may help the original poster and me too : How hard is it to install the Apex kit and around how much does it cost ? I can do about anything to a Glock but I am still new to the M&P's . For the original poster , I love my M&P9 . I have the stock M&P 9mm full size . With the small grip on it , it is the best feeling polymer pistol ever for me and that is saying A LOT because I am a "Glock guy".

Edited by tercel89
info
  • Administrator

It's very easy to install the DCAEK and there are numerous videos out there on YouTube that will guide you every step of the way. I'm not sure what the current cost is but I think I paid around $90 for mine last year.

Edited to add: If you can do anything and everything on a Glock, you're good to go with the M&P. Very similar internally. No nasty surprises.

How hard is it to install the Apex kit

I'm fairly mechanically inclined but had never gone past what it took to do a decent cleaning. It took me about 30 minutes the first time. Most of the time was going over the videos a couple of times to make sure I was doing it correctly.

The second one took 15 minutes top...

Very easy and the trigger feels great. A better end result for me was the removal of the sight upset. With the stock trigger the sight bounced to the right quite a bit. The Apex parts took care of that competely

I like the 9L I have. The only thing is that I had so much practice in drawing my 226 that the extra length of the 9L messed me up. It felt like it was a mile long drawing and re-holstering

Mark

If you buy the pro series you get roughly $200 in value for roughly a $95 upcharge. So, it is a cheaper and easier way to get night sights and a better trigger for fairly cheap. If you do it yourself you will pay more but will get a little more dialed in trigger and more options as to what sights you want.

The APEX is very easy to do.

I shoot a 9mm Pro that is stock in IDPA and love it. It will drop the slide on a hard reload and once or twice it didn't strip a round out of the mag. It has not done that in awhile though. Ran great at the "Zombie Match" and that was a lot or lead down range.
I guess you could say thats why I'm shopping. A fine fellow was nice enough to invite me to the Zombie match AND bring me a gun it was an XD. I had a great time but being mainly a longgunner and wheelgunner most of my life I didn't have the appropriate equipment. After fondling a bunch of different weapons the M&P feels better in my hand. So that trip is gonna cost me bigtime LOL. My wife came along for the zombie killin as a spectator and has since decided she needs a new Beretta FS so she can "play" also. So being the good husband I am (brownnoser) I told her we would get "her" gun first. She is going tomorrow to shoot one and make sure that is what she wants before chunkin down the money. Then after a breif stint locked up in "lay-a-way" and she has "hers" I can once again go gun shopping :tough: