My $20, 6 hour holster

I've been wanting to take a crack at holster making so I stopped by Tandy Leather and grabbed some scraps and a spring clip. I went back the next day to get an edge beveler and gum targ and dye so I could make the edges all shiny and purdy. I am stoked with how it turned out! I could do better next time with what I learned in the process and I have enough leather and supplies to make several more. The folks at Tandy were super nice and answered all my stupid questions. I should mention that I spent a bit more than $20 but like I said I've got enough to make several more. Also I need to pick up some type of finish coating. I just couldn't wait to show it off.

It was inspired by and Old World Leather Pancake holster. I wanted a super comfy IWB holster and this is what I came up with.

Thanks for looking,

-southernasylum

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

The Finished Product.

IMG_0728.jpg

Before stitching and molding.

IMG_0745.jpg

First coat of dye.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I wish I could do that.

If you're at all good with your hands you can. I have tons of excess tool marks on it but the next one will be prettier. This was really just a first try experiment but I really like it. I literally browsed the internet and watched videos at every step.I also asked a lot of questions at Tandy, mostly about burnishing the edges. The dye job is pretty shabby too but I kinda like it. It really is easy, just takes some time.

-southernasylum

In my mind, the molding of the leather to the gun is the mysterious part . . .

I could use some improvement but I traced a holster that I liked and made my own modifications. I guessed at the top layer based on the bottom layer and I could have actually use a smaller piece on top. Once you wet the leather it's extremely plyable. I put the gun into the holster and molded it some with my hands and let it dry overnight. The next day I did some detail molding. I played with it too much and it shows but I've learned my lesson. I used a sharpie and a poached egg spoon for most of it. Basically I just rubbed around the gun until I liked the look. I did tape a thin piece of wood between the sights to form a channel. That's about it. The stitching is the least fun but easy to do. I had a blast doing it and plan on doing more soon. You should give it a try. The leather I bought was just a piece of scrap for $7.99 and I stole the heavy duty thread from my wifes sewing kit. The dye was about $5 and the gum targ for the edge was about $6 I did buy an edge beveler for $11 also. Used an exacto for the cuts. I'm hooked now.

In my mind, the molding of the leather to the gun is the mysterious part . . .

I use a food vacuum sealer to mold mine. I soak the leather in hot water, too hot for hands but not boiling, for a few minutes. This gets rid of the oils that make the leather supple. I then let the leather sit out of the water for a few minutes so a lot of the moisture will evaporate. Then I place the leather over the gun that has been vacuum sealed to keep out the moisture. I slide that into its own bag and vacuum it. I will not allow it to seal but contnue to vacuum it over and over again with fresh papertowels to remove most of the moisture. Then I take out the leather and let it dry over night. Makes for a very detailed and rigid holster.

Dolomite

I use a food vacuum sealer to mold mine. I soak the leather in hot water, too hot for hands but not boiling, for a few minutes. This gets rid of the oils that make the leather supple. I then let the leather sit out of the water for a few minutes so a lot of the moisture will evaporate. Then I place the leather over the gun that has been vacuum sealed to keep out the moisture. I slide that into its own bag and vacuum it. I will not allow it to seal but contnue to vacuum it over and over again with fresh papertowels to remove most of the moisture. Then I take out the leather and let it dry over night. Makes for a very detailed and rigid holster.

Dolomite

That's awesome. Now I wish I had a food saver! I did put the gun in a ziplock bag and used a straw to suck out the air. After a while I decided that a little moisture wasn't going to hurt the gun so I took it out and cleaned and oiled it afterward. The ziplock did seem to work fine, not sure why I took it out.

Oh and I've been wearing this thin around the house and it's crazy comfortable!

-southernasylum

Try Hobby Lobby for your leather supplies. For 6.00 there you can get enough to make several holsters. For straps go to the Goodwill and buy single layer leather belts for a couple bucks. Tractor Supply also carries some heavier weight harness mending supplies.

Thanks, I live less than a mile from Hobby Lobby. I'll give them a try.

-southernasylum

Guest capt usa

That is a nice looking holster and it doesn't matter if it's a first or a fifty-first try. There's nothing like using something you make yourself, especially something "purdy".

Dolomite

By golly....that is the way to do it right there. Sure beats saran wrap and elastic bands!!!!

Guest WyattEarp

nice job, i love diy stuff. but I can't lie, the $82 I spent on my crossbreed supertuck, was definitely well worth it. very comfortable, even when I'm driving, it's positioned just right, and I can hardly tell it's there.