Glock Question

Guest biohazardmatthew

Guest biohazardmatthew

I have only shot the Glock 22 because that is what I carry and qualify with for my job. I am in love with the accuracy of the Glock 22. Yesterday my first 3 shots at 7 yards were touching one another. My question is do all the other Glocks have the same accuracy? Does a 9mm Glock 17 shoot exactly like a Glock 22? Is the Glock 23 less accurate than the full size Glock 22?

I want to buy a Glock 23 or 19 for off duty carry but will be majorly depressed if I get one and realize I can't shoot it as well.

If you own a Glock 17, 19, or 23 I want your personal opinion and review of the gun.

Thanks, Matthew

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to shoot even tighter groups with a G-17 due to the reduced recoil and same sight radius. The G-23 is slightly more snappy then the G-22 but aside from that and the decreased sight radius is capable of good groups with the G-19 being even better. FWIW the G-19/G-23 only offer a slight edge in ODC as a result of their shorter grip, the right ODH set up and clothing will help you more.

Ranked by accuracy from my personal experience....

Gen. 3 19

Gen. 4 19

Gen. 3 26

Gen. 2 17

My gen. 3 19 is like an extension of my arm. I never thought I would have a need for a 19 since I had a 17 and a 26, but I bought one on a whim and I have to say that it became my go to pistol immediately.

The only reason I would suggest that you buy a 9mm over a .40 for a personal gun is the cost of ammo.

Ammo loads would make more a difference than model. Unless you really screw up your hold on the pistol messing up your trigger finger placement. But picking up different frames does this.

In your G22 is that ball ammo the touched at 7? What did it do with duty ammo?

I shoot ball then old carry ammo last, replacing it with the same type carry. Atleast this way, the last rounds I fired were the next ones to be fired. Probably more voodoo to my head than anything.

As stated above "XS Big Dot" cant say enough about that.

Guest Victor9er

I have a G22 for my "house gun" and a G19 that I carry. I did the opposite of you though, I had the G19 first and then bought a G22. As far as accuracy goes, if you can shoot the G22 that well you shouldn't have any problems with the 9mm.

As for size, the G19 is only slightly smaller than the G22 so it's true there's not much difference. The nice part is that the width of the two are identical, so your grip doesn't really change at all between the two. It's (G22) just got a little more handle sticking out the bottom and a longer barrel. I can carry my G22 in the same holster that I use for my G19 and I don't really have any problems concealing it.

But I can tell you, as little difference as there is between the two, and because I'm so used to carrying the G19, when I put on the G22 I can tell the difference. Like I said it's not that it's harder to conceal, because it really isn't... but I can feel the difference in size between the two.

But I love both guns, and I would have a hard time choosing between the two if I had to pick only one.

Edited by Victor9er

I think it comes down to the caliber you have confidence to carry. I carried a 9mm for years and just decided I feel more comfortable carrying a .40. I carry a g27 right now, but carried a 23 for years. The advantage of the 23 is your duty gun mags are compatible.

Right now I have 9mm Glocks in 26, 19, 17 & 17L. For me the front sight and trigger mean more to me than the sight radius if I am methodically and carefully trying to punch a hole in paper, although the sights I use could hardly be called target sights. "Rapid" follow-ups work easiest for me with my particular G19s. I have the same front sight on all of my Glocks 9mm or .45 and try and have the same trigger feel on the Glocks I consider carry guns.

I have the 23 as my regular carry and love it. I can usually hold 1.5 inch groups at 75-100 feet. I also purchased a 27 and am decent with it, but the smaller grip makes my control a bit lacking. Lastly I have the 35 (long version of the .40) and i am in between with it. It shoots smoother, but for some reason I am still best with my 23. It could be that I use it more frequently, but I suspect it has to do with the proper fit in my hand. It fits like a glove and shoots like Steven Segal.

Just wondering, do you work for the Gallatin PD? I been thinking of applying there...

I find that I shoot close to the same in relatively slow fire accuracy. If I speed up some I shoot my 17 the best since it has a little less recoil than my 19, 26, or 22. I find the recoil of my 19 to be similar to my 22 since a little less weight is off set by the fact that the .40 round produces a slightly sharper recoil. The only Glock I've shot that I found to be a little unpleasent was the 27 without a finger extension. Since I wanted the option of pocket carry I went with the 26. I didn't care for the .40 in that small a package but I love to shoot the .40 in my 22. Then again you may want to stick with .40 if you get cheap or free ammo through your department or you want to be able to use mags you already have.

My opinion is probably worth what you're paying for it but if you practice with and are accustomed to the Glock trigger, I think any Glock will serve you well.

Lastly I have the 35 (long version of the .40) and i am in between with it. It shoots smoother, but for some reason I am still best with my 23.

That's interesting. For some strange reason I'm slightly better at slow-fire accuracy with my RTF 22 than my 4th Gen 17. I really like the RTF grip but the accuracy is probably because my 22 is the only gun I've bought used and it had a very smooth and slightly lighter trigger when I bought it.

Your results don't help me justify my plan of buying a 34. I've even thought about trading my 17 for a 34 since I usually grab my 22 when I want to carry a full-size.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest luvmyguns

The G22 fits my hand better and I have better control of it, but I feel it is too large for me to conceal. So I carry a G23 and I am vary confident in its accuracy.

I find a G22/G17 shoot the same for me as does a G19/G23 as well as the G27/G27. It's not the caliber, it's the size for me. I shoot the caliber's equally but not the frames. Personally I shoot the G19/G23 the absolute best out of them all. Haven't shot a Glock in .45 flavor that I've wanted to buy/keep around. Just don't like the Glocks in .45.

Guest biohazardmatthew

I appreciate all the responses I have gotten to this thread. I feel a bit better now when it comes to deciding which Glock to buy. I am able to shoot a Ruger LCP somewhat decent so I figure a Glock 23 or 19 should be easy to shoot compared to the LCP.

To answer some of the questions you guys are asking...

No I do not work for Gallatin PD, I work for Sumner County Sheriff Office.

No they do not provide me with free or cheap ammo except the ammo used when qualifying once per year.

I have no clue how well the carry ammo is at work because we use Remington FMJ in practice and carry Winchester PDX on duty.

I use the Winchester PDX in my Ruger LCP and it seems to perform well when it comes to accuracy.

What does your departmental policy say? How long have you been a jailer at Sumner Co?

To me all glocks are the same except for size of the gun and recoil from the different rounds. I would say go for a 27 especially if you are ever planning on going to the road then you will already have a good back up weapon that can use the glock 22 mags if needed.

Guest biohazardmatthew
What does your departmental policy say? How long have you been a jailer at Sumner Co?

I have been a Correctional Officer for almost 4 years. What are you wanting to know about the policy?

I have been a Correctional Officer for almost 4 years. What are you wanting to know about the policy?

Do they regulate what model of back up/ off duty gun you can carry? I would assume from your post you're good but some places are weird about what firearms they allow and don't allow.

If you are carrying a 22 for your duty gun I would go with a 23 for off duty. Keep only 22 mags for extra mags in your cars , etc. That way no matter which gun you have with you your extra mags will work in it. Maybe even get a couple of the 30 round stick mags and keep one in your patrol car and one in your personal car.

Guest FiddleDog

I've had the G26, the G19, and the G23. They mindnumbingly reliable. I happen to find a particular stoic aesthetic in their appearance, so I think that they are good lookin', not sexy like a 1911, but good lookin'. I didn't notice any major difference in recoil between the 23 and 19, and I feel that the compacts are every bit a concealable as the subcompacts if you IWB. Given that you are already carrying a 22 as a duty weapon, I'd say the easiest transition would be the 23...and maybe a 32 barrel just for fun.