Let's talk flashlights.

So am I the only one who shops around for a flashlight and becomes severely confused? I have a bunch of the best Big Lot's has to offer ($8) led's that say 65 lumen. Well, i have a Surefire that says 60 lumen and it is a more confined beam, but it's not really brighter. Difference? The surefire is a 123 battery vacuum. The cheapies run on three rechargeable aaa's.

So, other than throwing money at it, like dropping a few hundred bucks on name brand stuff, how's a fella to know what decent and what'll crap out when you really need it? For instance, Ultrafire. Obviously chinese Surefire wannabe's. But you can get a 900 lumen light, with two batteries and a charger for $25 on sleeze-bay. Now, I've never heard of an 18650 battery, but they're fairly cheap and rechargeable many times. Anyone know if this is some more ridiculous chinese claims or they really that bright? If they hold up at all? I know you're not going to get a top of the line light but for that money, I can buy several and scatter them about.

Come on, what'a'ya'll know?:yuck:

• Admin Team

I've got a Surefire LX2 that is hands down my favorite light of all time. Dual output LED, 200 lumens on high beam The Coast branded lights from Home Depot are great for the money, too though. They've got a 3xAAA model that usually runs about $35 and can occasionally be found on sale for $19. I've picked up several of those when theyre on sale to scatter about and have been really pleased. Lowes will occasionally run Surefire 6Ps for less than $30, too.

I've bought a few of those cheaper LED lights, including the Coast. The biggest problem I have seen is overall durability, but I can say the exact same thing for BOTH SureFire lights I have owned (BOTH were complete and total useless junk and their customer service is worse). I found a good deal on a small Streamlight LED that I keep by the bed and it's the brightest light I have ever owned for the size hands down. The quality of it, like all other Streamlight products I have owned, is superb.

My understanding is that the lumens produced is only part of the equation when it comes to the light. The other major part is the quality of the reflector and how well it concentrates the light. Of course, the overall quality of the switch, contacts, electronics, etc. are also important. Normally, I say you get what you pay for when it comes to flashlights, but after crapping away so much money of the high-dollar SureFire lights I've bought, I can't say it is 100% true. To be fair, I don't like MagLite products either.

I own several Surefire lights, all Battery operated and all are fantastic, I have recently got into Streamlight Stinger LED rechargeable lights as Surefire discontinued their rechargeable models, they are over 200 lumens and awesome lights we have 2 for our home mounted in various places and I bought a third to mount in my truck.

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for when it comes to flashlights

Edited by willis68

I've had all good experiences with Surefire. Sure the batteries are expensive, but when things get rough, its the only light I will absolutely trust.

I use Fenix flashlights for fun -VERY good bang for the buck and they often use common batteries such as AA or AAA with high lumen output and strong build quality. I beat the crap out of them and they're comparatively VERY bright. I EDC'd these until Surefire came out with a very affordable LED (G2X LED, 120 lumen/2 hours).

I can say I extensively used and carried a (issued) Streamlight Polystinger w/rechargeable batteries as a police officer. I wasn't all that impressed as far as durability. Let's just say the first time I dropped it (from chest level), the light broke. Thank god I was just conducting an interview and had a back up Surefire on my belt. Before this even happen I had my doubts with it. It seemed to be of poor build quality to begin with. It didn't exactly inspire much confidence.

Surefire = SHTF light, expensive batteries, cheaper chinese ones available (I like titanium innovations from Battery Junction)

Fenix = Excellent performance/value, mostly standard batteries, high durability ~~ probably your best bet :yuck:

Streamlight = Good reputation, but not the brightest or most durable..

Edited by w0lfattack

+1 on the Fenix. I have two, a 2AA for the bedroom and a 1AA for EDC. They both have been bulletproof. The neighbors started a fire in the yard one night that caught a dead tree on fire. It was too far from the street for the fire trucks lights to be effective so I lit up the area with the 2AA Fenix for about 30 minutes so they could finish. Got hot in the hand, but never wavered.

Guest bkelm18

I bought one of these from Walmart. It's a Coleman and it has a Cree LED lamp and puts out I think 100ish lumens. Cost $20. Built very well and has taken some severe work related abuse. Runs on 3 AAA. It's got rubber gaskets for water resistance but I've never submerged it really to find out.

2000004481_500.jpg

Wished I had the $$$. I'd buy a Black Bear Borealis (mag lite conversion)

These new flashlights are great. Mega output, compact and handy, and cheap but they are missing something. Remember the old days and 5 D cell maglite? ANY LED will out perform them but can you throw a man a beating with your Surefire like the old maglites? I think not:)

For a carry light, I have found it hard to beat the Streamlight ProTac 1L or 2L. They are quite a bit brighter than most of the "cheap" lights I have tried, and both have a strobe function.

I have been pretty disappointed in the two Surefires I have tried. No real issues, but they drain batteries quicker than the Streamlights, and haven't been as durable.

I am going to have to visit my Big Lots tomorrow to try the Coast light you mentioned.

These new flashlights are great. Mega output, compact and handy, and cheap but they are missing something. Remember the old days and 5 D cell maglite? ANY LED will out perform them but can you throw a man a beating with your Surefire like the old maglites? I think not:)

I keep a 4 D-Cell LED MagLite by my bedside. Not the brightest, but can be used as a blunt instrument if the situation calls for it.

For a carry light, I have found it hard to beat the Streamlight ProTac 1L or 2L. They are quite a bit brighter than most of the "cheap" lights I have tried, and both have a strobe function.

I have been pretty disappointed in the two Surefires I have tried. No real issues, but they drain batteries quicker than the Streamlights, and haven't been as durable.

The one I mentioned earlier is the PT 2L. I love that light. I have an aluminum Stinger I carried daily as a street cop for almost 10 years (I bought it after the first SureFire I ever bought took a dump in less than a year). That Stinger has been dropped more times than I can count, rained on during a hurricane, and used long and hard. All I have had to do is replace the batteries twice, and the lamp assembly once. I still use it frequently. Similar story with the full-size Streamlight we were issued. Words just can't express how unimpressed I have been with the quality and durability of SureFire products.

Guest Lester Weevils

I haven't heavily used them or beat them up, but got a couple of Fenix lights I like. They seem bright and well-made and haven't broken yet.

Going Gear - Fenix TK15 XP-G R5 LED Tactical Flashlight

fenixtk15_LRG.jpg

Going Gear - Fenix TK45 760 Lumen LED Flashlight

fenixtk45_LRG.jpg

If somebody wanted a really bright light big enough to use as a bludgeon, this new one looks pretty good. 16 inches long with weight in the ballpark of 3 pounds loaded with four NIMH D Cells--

Going Gear - Fenix TK70 2200 Lumen CREE Triple XM-L LED Flashlight

fenixtk70_LRG_1.jpg

I have one of the colemans that were mentioned earlier. It is the best light I've ever had. About a year ago, it started acting up and not wanting to click on. I emailed coleman and they had me destroy it and sent me a replacement at no charge. They have A+ customer service and a great flashlight for twenty something bucks...

Guest The91Bravo
So am I the only one who shops around for a flashlight and becomes severely confused? I have a bunch of the best Big Lot's has to offer ($8) led's that say 65 lumen. Well, i have a Surefire that says 60 lumen and it is a more confined beam, but it's not really brighter. Difference? The surefire is a 123 battery vacuum. The cheapies run on three rechargeable aaa's.

I have the Surefire 6P LED and the M3 Millennium. The LED is absolutely the most dependable utilitarian light I have ever owned. It was my backup duty light. The LED saves a crap load of $$$ on batteries and the 'throw' of the beam is what makes them so much better than the cheapies.

good luck

I got the streamlight poly 90 degree led. Has worked great for me so far. Dropped it into Santa Rosa Sound (salt water) still works great. Several fishing trips and a 2 night camp out still on the original batteries. The strobe function is pretty fun too.

Much longer battery life than my surefire Z2.

I love 4Sevens. Been very happy with this one.

4SevensQuarkAA2_800x536.jpg

Over 200 lumens and for another $20 I bought an extra body to convert to a single AA that is perfect for EDC.

http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907-170-Lumen-002.htm

hands down the best flashlights ive ever had, yes thats plural because i like them so much i have multiples, is the MTE C3-907. it uses a single AA battery, rated at 170 lumens, multiple strobe and high/med/low settings, and only $25. i liked this over others i looked at because you dont have to cycle through all of the settings to get on or off. 1 solid click on and 1 solid click off. press the tailcap 1/2 in to get it to cycle. when turned on, it always returns to high so no memory problems if needed for SD.

i got this light on the recommendation from a guy i trust very much and love it. i dont get anything from advertising for them at all. i currently have 2 and 2 more on the way.

here is a pic of my EDC stuff i took for another thread.

SU1BRzAxNTIuanBn.jpg

Edited by broylz