Kel-Tec PF9

Diragono

So, after getting into the handgun game, I've bought a Hi Point c9 and a Star Model B. However, this weekend I'm going for my ccw and I think it's time for me to look at a pistol I can carry with me and will be quite comfortable. And for that purpose, I think I've chosen the Keltec PF9.

Just had a few questions,

1. About how much do they run NIB at shops?

2. Are they picky about ammo? And what i mean, does it have to be brass casings, like my c9, or can I throw some steel casing in there too?

3. I've noticed this gun does not have a safety, is the trigger pull pretty hefty as so that is not a problem?

and finally,

4. Is this gun able to hold a lazer sight?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tipster

1. the going rate seems to be around $300. You can find deals here and there. I got mine at Bill Goodman's Gun Show for $240.

2. Mine doesn't like any steel cased ammo. Go with the standard store-bought ammo and you'll be ok.

3. I really like the DAO, didn't think I would but I do. The trigger pull is kinda long but not too bad. It's very easy to get used to.

4. It comes with a front rail but I haven't used mine. From what I understand the lasers work very well on these guns.

Be aware, kel tecs are great little pistols and their customer service is top notch as well but the PF9 is kinda punchy compared to the Hi Point due to the weight difference. Quality seems to be hit or miss(I got a good one) but KT will make everything right if you give them a chance. All in all these are great for what they are designed to do, just make sure to put plenty of different kinds of ammo through it and clean when it needs it.

I carried a PF-9 briefly as an OD/BUG, it worked well but the smallish trigger guard didn’t suit me so my wife has it now. I replaced it with an LCP and Lc9, both of which are more comfortable to me due to their larger trigger guards. It would be prudent for you to shot a PF9 before you purchase one so you better understand what you’re dealing with. KT is a customer satisfaction driven company that understands who buys their product and continues to improve said product.

I don't think the PF9 is particularly bad to shoot, but you do need to hold on to it. If you are planning to shoot a couple hundred rounds every week, get something else. I shoot a box every month or two just to keep everything going, but no long range sessions. I have a lasermax which clips to the trigger guard and activates when you wrap your fingers around the grip. Very effective, and you can turn it off or on by your grip. Trigger pull is long but not difficult to master. I do use a pocket holster through.

So, after getting into the handgun game, I've bought a Hi Point c9 and a Star Model B. However, this weekend I'm going for my ccw and I think it's time for me to look at a pistol I can carry with me and will be quite comfortable. And for that purpose, I think I've chosen the Keltec PF9.

Just had a few questions,

1. About how much do they run NIB at shops?

2. Are they picky about ammo? And what i mean, does it have to be brass casings, like my c9, or can I throw some steel casing in there too?

3. I've noticed this gun does not have a safety, is the trigger pull pretty hefty as so that is not a problem?

and finally,

4. Is this gun able to hold a lazer sight?

1) 300 average, as low as 250 at times.

2) You may not want to shoot steel. KT recommends a brass diet for all its guns if I remember it right. Its not a picky thing, its a broken extractor thing. A polished up KT will eat most ammo, maybe the odd exotic shaped JHP will not feed, but most will.

3)The trigger pull is beyond heavy. You might be able to bench press it, I cannot even fire a new KT without hand cramps. I estimate a NIB one at 15 pound pull, and a well broken in one at 8 -10. If you have not tried this gun's trigger, do not buy it until you do!!!!! You may like it, many people do, but its not a good gun to buy "blind".

4) I do not remember if it has a rail or not. I am sure you can get on on it if you work at it, but out of the box, not sure.

Picked mine up on buds gun shop dot com for $240, it's snappy but not anything too bad.Crimson trace laser grips for the gun run about $210, but it mounts on the trigger guard instead of attaching to the front rail.

Laser Sight For Kel-Tec PF-9 LG-435 | Crimson Trace Laser Grips

I've seen guys shoot steel case ammo out of it on youtube but I haven't shot it myself, hear KT has great CS but haven't needed to contact them yet :popcorn:

i had the Pf 9 and the P11. The Pf 9 was a better carry gun due to the width, wieght, ect...however I didnt like the trigger at all. Some people can get used to it but not me. I will tell u that the brass case was the way to go with mine. I may have picked up an early one but steel casings were not very succesful for me. I sold both of mine and bought a sig p238. Totally different gun and i like it alot better. However, I do know of someone that lives fairly close to your neck of the woods that has one for sell. U should be able to purchase one of these new out the door for less than 300.00 just about anywhere. Im with everyone else. For sure take the time to shot one of these before u buy one. At least feel the trigger on one.

around $250 to $300 plus tax and tbi check. brass ammo works best. kel tec states, do not use steel case ammo. trigger pull is not bad, about the same as a wheel gun. you can add a laser to it, it has a rail for it. but,,,,the pf9 can be a problem gun. some pf9's work 100% out of the box, others don't. you just don't know which one you got untill you fire it. now kel tec will either send you free replacement parts or you can mail the gun back to them to fix it. i got one and it has been a bear. i have changed out just about every part except the frame on the gun. i got new grip and assembly pin coming in from kel tec this week.

Yea I'm not really intending on using it as a range gun, I enjoy shooting my c9 and model b for that. I just want something that is easily concealable. I've also been looking into a Ruger lCP, but I'm just not so sure about that .380 caliber.

Few 9x19 pistol's are as small as the KT P3AT or Ruger LCP, the thing to remember with the .380ACP is its seen a lot of improvements over the years. While its not a big bore caliber it is better than the .25ACP or .22 Short pistols that were the size of the P3AT in the past.

The LCP and P3AT work well, with the dimensions about the same, although the LCP is bit more refined. The LCP weighs 9.4 oz and the P3AT weighs 8.3oz. The P32 Keltec weighs 6.6oz. I try to have a P32 close at hand most of the time. I just load it with ball ammo for a bit better penetration. My little drill for a SYA gun is to be able to dump it fast in a 6" circle at 15' weak hand one handed. If I can't do that then I get concerned as to practicality of a SYA gun. I figure in my lifestyle if I have to use a gun everything else must have gone wrong so I best practice shooting one-handed left handed.

Look at a LC9. I've had both. LC9 is way better gun.

+1.

I've owned the PF9 and my brother in law recently bought an LC9 which we took shooting on Sunday. The PF9 is a much more finished and appears to be a more reliable gun. The PF9s can be picky about ammo, although his LC9 began to experience some failures to eject with the cheap Russian ammo. I think the PF9 has a better trigger, but the trigger guard is almost too small for my big o' fat fingers. That said, the Ruger retails about $100 more, so the question then becomes is it worth the price difference?

This is not my gun, rather a web photo to illustrate my opinion. I was looking at the PF9, but the deal breaker was how little room there is to insert the finger inside the trigger guard. I knew I couldn't do it in a high stress self defense encounter.

files.php?pid=2120860&aid=185962

Yea I'm not really intending on using it as a range gun, I enjoy shooting my c9 and model b for that. I just want something that is easily concealable. I've also been looking into a Ruger lCP, but I'm just not so sure about that .380 caliber.

There are a lot of small 9mm. Most of the really small ones are DAO, but there are some single actions and double actions and trademark actions as well. A very good, cheap 9mm is the taurus 709 slim. If you have a lot of money, a colt defender or new agent are nice. Beretta is about to release its nano, which is their take on it, seems to be what a single stack glock would be. The cz rami is a very nice gun, even if the custom shop hosed mine up the stock gun is great. Those are just a few. The micro 9mm is very much in style and the companies are working hard to make them smaller, slimmer, etc. The lcp offends me, I like ruger but stealing a current, fairly recent design is lame. At least the lc9 is slightly different from the kel tecs ... the lcp is an exact copy part for part.

• 2 weeks later...
If you buy new check out CDNNInvestments.com

I Will 2nd the CDNN recommendation. I have bought a few guns from them and got a Kel Tec P3AT last month for $189 (+$17 S&H). I believe the PF9's are currently around $220 (+$17 s&h and FFL fees). Depending on what your FFL charges I think you should be able to get it for around $270 all together.

I absolutely love my PF9. Have about 1000 rounds thru it and had a few FTF and FTE in the first 200 or so rounds. It was caused bya loose extractor. A little blue locklite on the screw and it has been flawless since. Kel Tec has OUTSTANDING customer service. The guns are IMHO one of the best values (if not the best) in handguns today. That beibg said, I would only recommend them to someone who likes to (or doesn't mind) tinkering. They are simple designs and easy to fix yourself and you run a good chance of something happening at some point. you could always send it back to Kel Tec, but then you would be without a gun for a few weeks. Kel tec will always send you what you need and you can DIY.

As far as steel ammo. I shot 100 rounds of tula this weekend with no problems. The recoil is not as bad t TO ME as some say. It is not as stout as a snub nose 357.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
That beibg said, I would only recommend them to someone who likes to (or doesn't mind) tinkering. They are simple designs and easy to fix yourself and you run a good chance of something happening at some point. you could always send it back to Kel Tec, but then you would be without a gun for a few weeks. Kel tec will always send you what you need and you can DIY.

I've always figured that KTs are good as backup guns when you have a pretty solid regular carry system worked out. That way if you have to send it back you can still carry. Based on what I saw with my dad's, it would be a little tough for me to rely on it as my only gun, though perhaps he just got a particularly bad one. They're inexpensive enough that his experience probably won't prevent me from picking one up, though.

Price is obviously a major factor. They are crazy inexpensive, plus they're tiny. On paper they certainly make a great first gun for someone who wants to start carrying.

I agree with what every one else has said. <$300 New out the door. If your just going to shoot it occasionally then the snappy recoil will not bother you. Don't waist your time with the laser, I found mine to be a waist.

If your just going to shoot it 100 rds or less a year then the LCP may be a better gun for you. Todays 380's are what yesterdays 38spl were and look how many people died from them.