Marine Reservist shot, mistaken for bear

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't grasp how the hunter who shot the victim is not being charged with manslaughter. We all have an obligation to make sure that when we engage a target that we are not harming an innocent person. I know that the hunter "accidentally" shot the victim, but he intentionally aimed and fired without being 100% certain and correct about his target. Inexcusable.

I can't grasp how the hunter who shot the victim is not being charged with manslaughter. We all have an obligation to make sure that when we engage a target that we are not harming an innocent person. I know that the hunter "accidentally" shot the victim, but he intentionally aimed and fired without being 100% certain and correct about his target. Inexcusable.

Agreed, this way beyond an accidental shooting.

Guest TnRebel
Sorry to hear that the Marine was killed by the reckless actions of the hunter. I try to stay out of the woods during hunting season.

Or wear something orange on the head , cap or toboggan , anything to set them aside from game .

This is very sad. Safety was the responsibility of the hunter, and not the person just out for a stroll. Even if the hunter is not charged he should loose his right to bear arms... I do not say that lightly, believe me. I think that is one of the most fundamental rights we have, but this guy should not have it anymore.

Amongst other things wrong with this story is the fact that the shot on the "bear" was taken unethically. No ethical hunter takes a shot like that. It is obvious that the "hunter" did not know what part of the "bear" he was shooting at. Good hunters don't go putting bullets into an animal willy nilly, we pick and chose shots to make a good clean kill. Very sad.

The article says the hunter was 67 years old? Is that right? Sounds to me he needs his eyesight checked. And another course in hunting safety.

Seems I've heard of something similar happening before where a hunter shot at a flash of white and ended up shooting a woman who was working in her garden( with white gardening gloves). I know that is very few and far between, but when out hiking or anything during hunting season, don't wear clothing that can confuse some people into thinking you are wild game.

Was the hikers talking while hiking? if they were and the hunter still shot, he may need his hearing checked as well.

this is a terribly sad story. I am sure the 67 year old is broke up over it and his life will never be what it was. Of course the young man he shot has no more life. I am not so sure charging the granpa criminally would accomplish much other than revenge.

I feel really bad for everyone involved in it.

Lesson learned to wear bright colors in the woods and damn well know the four rules and practice them religiously.

Frontiersmen had a saying: "Fur and feathers, never together." Even back then they were safety conscious and the 18th & 19th century version of blaze orange was a fur hat or cap with feathers in it.

That said, at the very least the shooter should be charged with involuntary manslaughter and reckless endangerment. Entirely preventable and unnecessarily tragic. My prayers go out to the family and friends of the Reservist.

It wasn’t accidental; it was reckless.

RIGHT!

There is no such thing as an accident. I HATE the word accident. Whoever invented the word "accident" should have been beaten. EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING that happens like this is because someone screwed up. Maybe there was malicious intent, maybe not. I don't dispute that either way, but this would NOT have happened if the dumb sob had of known what he was shooting at. I know this may sound really off the wall, but if you aren't 110% sure of your target AS WELL AS YOUR TARGET BACKSTOP, DON'T FIRE THE WEAPON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they hang the guy for it. People make mistakes, but mistakes like these should never be made. When I pull the trigger on game, I not only see the target but also what is behind it. If I don't see and understand both, finger off the trigger. This is the kind of crap that makes me almost agree that everyone should NOT have the right to own a gun. If you are this friggin stupid, you should be in a colony, segregated from the rest of us.