Help picking out 1911

TLRMADE

I am looking at getting a 1911 for Christmas.

-Around $1000

- I am leaning towards the darker colored 1911s like the TRP and the Remington R1 Enhanced.

-I am considering the R1 Enhanced bc they are going for around $800.

-I know it's not a darker color, but I was also looking at the Sig Scorpion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by TLRMADE
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tennessee Rebel

That new springfield range officer is awesome for the money. I checked one out at sevierville indoor range. It was SWEET! I think it was $799.

find a used colt ser 70/80 model. hard to beat the older colts. you can do a lot to them. they are some of the best shooter going.

Our cold gold trophy was right at 1000 new. I think they may have a couple of other models in the ballpark price. I am not sure if the GT comes in black or not.

I haven't fired the Range Officer yet. but the TRP is an excellent choice for a full size 1911. It's more accurate than I'll ever be to shoot. If concealment is a major factor, the EMP is a good choice. All of my Springfield pistols have been reliable and accurate, but SA has very good customer service if it is needed.

All good suggestions. There are a number of fine 1911s out there right now.

JMHO..., and I know that this is going to shock some folks - - - I who love to quote the old, "If its Not a Colt, Its Only a Copy."

BUT, For under $1k I have NEVER seen, held, or fired a Kimber (even the series IIs) that didn't look, handle, or shoot just as well as any of my custom Colts.

When I first decided to buy a 1911 I was going to buy a nice one and set my budget at $1500. I wanted a nice Kimber or something along those lines. I ended up buying the Remington R1 (not enhanced). I did not go for the enhanced because I didn't/don't want fixed sights or the fiber optic sight. I do however want an enhanced trigger/hammer, beavertail, and 8 round mags. I guess I could have changed the sights on the Enhanced R1 but I want to go my own route for looks.

Now the regular R1 is an awesome gun. Great quality, despite all of the horror stories I have seen/read. Mine is very accurate and reliable (I have only had 3 or 4 FTF but I believe that was due to the stock mags). Since buying WC and CMC mags I have had zero problems.

If you want all of the options that come with the Enhanced the Remington is a great gun.

I think I'm steering towards the Range Officer or the Loaded and some VZ grips!

Something like this!!

Or this

c6e4e3a4-b132-9d58.jpg

Well... That 1911 isn't a SA. That was the pic I posted of my Nighthawk Custom T3. I actually changed the grips to the ultrathin Nighthawk Alumagrips. The Alien grips were just a little too much for my taste.

In regards to your price range, I wouldn't rule out the new Ruger 1911. It is considerably cheaper than $1k. A lot of people who have bought one really like them.