Different 1911 manufacturers and models?

Guest drew1473

Guest drew1473

Ok I know this is a very subjective question. I have done some research and there is a ton of information out there. So I figured I would ask for some opinions. Which manufacturers 1911 do you recommend and why? I am looking to buy one soon and my limit is $1000. There just seem to be so many variations from different manufacturers. Help me out with your expertise.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First a person has to ask to what use the pistol will be for,range use,concealed carry,bedside gun,competition,so many different aspects that a person has to consider.first decide what you want it for and then move on to a search for the right pistol.A 1911 can range from a 3 inch model to a long slide in a 6 inch.

Guest FiddleDog

I can recommend from experience a SW1911 Pro Series 3". I like the external extractor. No need for tuning. It carries extremely well and is extremely accurate. The Sig 1911 Ultra is also a great sub compact 1911, also with an external extractor.

The lifetime warrantee on the Smith and Wesson is a huge plus, as well.

Guest NashvegasMatt

getting a springfield in that price range will set you up really nicely. But as bkelm said, this is a 50 page thread waiting to happen that won't educate you nearly as much as holding and firing.

It all depends on what you want to do with it... based on that answer you should be able to determine the caliber that you would want. then it come to price, you can get a lower level "elite 1911" or a high end "blue collar 1911" either way you will be good, but these are not decisions we can help you with. Based on personal experience I will tell you that taking someone else's feelings on buying a gun will get you selling it in 30 days. I am going through that now with my S&W 442 revolver. It's cool and all, but I bought it because so many other people like it, even though it wasn't really my style. Now I'm stuck trying to sell it. If you haven't owned a 1911 before (I'm assuming not, b/c of this thread) i recommend buying a $500-600 one. Shoot it for a few months and then determine what you want to upgrade to.

Guest NashvegasMatt
I can recommend from experience a SW1911 Pro Series 3". I like the external extractor. No need for tuning. It carries extremely well and is extremely accurate. The Sig 1911 Ultra is also a great sub compact 1911, also with an external extractor.

I have to disagree with the sw1911 and it's external extractor because this was not how the 1911 was originally designed. It's kind of a hybrid concept in my opinion that some brands had issues with. Hence why Kimber no longer makes them this way and if you send one in for warranty issues, they change it out to an internal.

Edited by NashvegasMatt
Guest bkelm18
I have to disagree with the sw1911 and it's external extractor because this was not how the 1911 was originally designed. It's kind of a hybrid concept in my opinion that some brands had issues with. Hence why Kimber no longer makes them this way and if you send one in for warranty issues, they change it out to an internal.

Yes, when external extractors were first introduced they had problems. Smith & Wesson has gotten it right.

Edited by bkelm18

You would be dollars and cents ahead to start out with a good used basic 1911 GM platform .45ACP. My preference is and remains the Series 70 Colt, but one of the clones that have been taken care of will be fine. Either a FTF or dealer transaction where you can discuss any problems with the pistol is the preferred route to go. Aside from a decent set of fixed sights don’t worry about anything else unless you have a parts breakage.

Run ball or hard cast bullets through it and shoot it a lot for several months, preferably at least a year, really get to know it. By this point you’ll either be completely sold on the 1911 or you won’t like it at all. If you’re sold on it then you know what you need in a carry pistol or range gun. Your capital outlay will be the used pistol, magazines, ammunition and possibly a set of sights. However, your experience and knowledge level will be practical and sound.

I got a para SSP for a little over $800. It has been very good, the magazines that came with it were so bad it jammed nonstop but a couple of quality mags put it to flawless. It has a match grade barrel and is very accurate, nice and tight for a mass produced gun. My wife chose a colt gold trophy, which has a lighter frame and is flawless, accurate, and great pistol, hers was over 1000 out the door but some of that was the tax/fees/etc -- the "gun price" was just under 1000. While there are many different ones, they are also very similar. My advice, the best I can give you (apart from shooting the one you want if possible!) is to try to avoid the glitter factor. In the $800-1200, a number of companies spend a great deal of the manufacturing costs on the external finish of the gun, making a beautiful pistol that costs more than a plain model but may not shoot any better, or even as good, as its less shiny cousin. Try to resist the appeal of the way the gun looks, get it in your hand, feel it, look down the sights, test the trigger, those are what matter.

Guest FiddleDog

...another brand to consider, not that i have any experience with them, but they are often overlooked, Detonics. A 1911 is a statement, as well as a weapon. i know i considered uniqueness as a factor when i made my choice.

Sig Sauer's 1911 line provides an excellent value for the dollar. You also can't go wrong with a good, used Kimber.

My answers are biased by my experiences, as is every other comment on this thread. The best solution is to borrow pistols from folks you know and try them out.

Guest drew1473

I have shot my dads colt series 70 .45acp a few times and really like it. But I guess I just need to shoot a few others. I'm wanting a 5", mostly for range use and home protection. I appreciate everybody's input.

Guest hawkeye10

I agree! I would give the S&W line of 1911's a close look. Don

Fact is, most mainstream manufacturers have 1911's in your price range. They will all have fans and detractors alike. You're only going to know what you like by shooting them.

To add my opinion... with $1000, I'd buy an RIA and 1000 rounds of ammo. Shoot it until my thumb bled from reloading the mag. Then I'd have an idea of what I might like to change, (grips, sights, springs, trigger, etc.) and I'd still have the money to do so. If I didn't want to change anything, I'd buy a couple more mags and another 1000 rounds of ammo.

Mac

Guest FiddleDog
I recently bought a sig 1911 scorpion..... Love it so far but don't have a ton of experience with other 1911 manufactures... Sig is deff. Comfortable and accurate!

The Scorpion is definitely drool worthy. If I had $1k set aside for a new 5 incher, that'd be the one (though SA's Range Officer looks pretty good, too).

Ok I know this is a very subjective question. I have done some research and there is a ton of information out there. So I figured I would ask for some opinions. Which manufacturers 1911 do you recommend and why? I am looking to buy one soon and my limit is $1000. There just seem to be so many variations from different manufacturers. Help me out with your expertise.

I have 2. Well, one is the wifes, but we share. Hers is a colt gold trophy, right at your 1k limit and maybe over with tax and tags at some stores, it is a nice gun. The lightweight frame makes recoil worse but is easier for her to lift and control one handed. It is accurate and excellent out of the box, with a good trigger and a great feeling grip. I could not say enough good stuff about it, though I prefer the heavier frame.

Mine is a para ssp. Cheaper than the colt, but the mags that came with it caused a lot of jams until I replaced them with good ones. Accurate and reliable, with a match barrel and tight construction it has been a real joy to shoot. The trigger is not as good as the colt but the frame/slide fit is better, the bushing is tighter, the recoil is less, and in every other way its as good or better (mostly as good). The trigger is not bad, but a tiny bit of give and a light grit out of the box that has faded over time made it have a long break in period (just for the trigger, the rest needed no break in).

Either one is a great gun, these two become a choice between the light frame or not, and the price difference as the colt is borderline on your limit.

Guest Bassman17SC

When I started looking at 1911s, I found that my thumb would not effectively reach the mag release on the models with those thick wooden grips. I picked up Colts, Springfields, Wilson Combats, Kimbers, STIs, and others until I picked up a Sig Sauer 1911 TACOPS. This model has some of the thinnest G-10 grips and I can easily handle this pistol. I also picked up the Sig Scorpion and found that I could use THAT one effectively, too. Sig is poised to introduce an "Extreme" model that is identical to the Scorpion except with the Nitron coating. Anyways, the TACOPS followed me home last weekend for less than $1,000. Taking it to the range this morning for testing. And yes, I realize the Sig 1911 pistols are 1911 variants (rails, external extractors, etc.) and not TRUE 1911 pistols in accordance with JMB's original design.:D