Smokers?

Murgatroy

This is not a debate for the health risks.

I am well aware.

However, I choose to smoke. Mainly because it is a major pain in my rump to try and quit.

What is worse than trying to quit though is the rising cost of cigarettes.

Today I found a solution, of sorts. While quitting would be best, both for health and finances, I would leave a trail of corpses.

I purchased one of those home roller kits tonight. Bought a couple or cartons of tubes, and spent a relaxing hour making my own cigarettes. I got a pound of the higher quality tobacco, as opposed to the cheap stuff they had all over the shop. Even went so far as to buy one of those fancy stainless cigarette holders.

The chunk was the machine. That was the lion's share. $36.99. The pound of tobacco was $15. 200 tubes was $1.99.

Based on what I was told, and what I have rolled, I will get a two and a half cartons from the pound of tobacco. Thus 2lbs($30) and 5 boxes of tubes ($10) comes out to be 5 cartons of cigarettes. That comes out to $8 a carton.

The tobacco I got is decent quality. I was concerned about getting cuts and shake, and voiced this when I was buying the tobacco. I smoke Camels. I have for the fifteen years that I have smoked. While I wanted to save money, I didn't want a cut rate product to do so. 4 Aces was the tobacco that was suggested to me, and it is not half bad. Better than the stuff the guy at work that rolls his own uses.

I smoke a pack a day. At $5 a pack that is $150+ a month.

This will save me an easy $130 a month.

Out the gate, with just the two cartons worth of tubes I got today, I am already ahead.

Maybe I will smoke less since I have to make my own.

So has anyone else gone this route?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to hand roll Drum, and did the tubes for a while. After I took my job on the road in 03 I quit doing any of it and have not gone back, as to why I could not say.

I used to hand roll Drum, and did the tubes for a while. After I took my job on the road in 03 I quit doing any of it and have not gone back, as to why I could not say.

When I first started smoking, I tried that route. I was proficient with rolling, but I didn't have the patience to stop and roll one up every time I wanted one.

I always liked Drum.

I started stuffing my own several years ago. I too thought I would smoke less. Na... just cheaper. These days.. allot cheaper. Not that it matters, I have noticed I cough allot less smoking home made smokes vs any of the ready made brands I have smoked over the years.

Someday i'll quit. until then, I'll continue to stuff my own.

Welcome aboard! :D

I started making my own about this time last year for the same reasons.

In the past year, I've tried several of the brands, including a couple of the really expensive premium blends. In the end I found I liked the mid-grade 4 Aces Mellow with Tube Cut Kings Gold the best. I now like it so much, that I find it hard to smoke Marlboro Reds, which was the only brand I could smoke before.

I have smoked Camel non filter for twenty plus years. Last spring I stopped in my usual store and the power was off so they closed and went home. Well it pissed me off but I drive back eight miles to wally world to get a pack. I knew they would be stale cause they don't sell enough to keep the rotated. But when I got to the register she told told me the price was almost eight dollars. I just asked her to get me a can of Skoal and put the smokes back. I put what was left of my pack on the gun rack and they are still there.

I always said I would never smoke another brand cause I loved my Camels. Been using Skoal Snus ever since at 2.35 a can. And a can last me three days.

Sent from my Droid X using Smoke Signals!

I always said I would never smoke another brand cause I loved my Camels. Been using Skoal Snus ever since at 2.35 a can. And a can last me three days.

Sent from my Droid X using Smoke Signals!

I tried the snus, I find the Marlboro Snus is the smoothest short of the boutique brands. One of my customers owns a cigar shop in Farragut, I have stopped in there a time or two and picked up some nice stuff that he has, it is very smooth and mild. I actually find that when I use that, I don't smoke. However, with Camel or Marlboro Snus, I still want a smoke.

Even though his shop isn't that far from where I live, it is out of the way for any direction I normally go, so it is very rare that I stop in to grab some. I too find that the snus will last me a couple of days.

Guest mikedwood

When they started putting the carpet glue in ciggs to make them "Fire Safe" I started cramming my own. I like them much better and as if cigarettes weren't dangerous enough putting carpet glue in the store bought ones might as well have just put a darn bullet in them.

Carry the tobacco and a pack of rolling papers, then roll them by hand just before you smoke it.

Total tough-guy style. :screwy:

I've been smoking a pipe for a few months now. The difference between the crappy stuff you buy at a discount store and the stuff you buy at a quality tobacco / cigar shop is unbelievable. For just a dollar or two more and a trip to Knoxville, I get high quality tobacco that smokes well and tastes great. $4 worth easily lasts me a month.

What a bout those E-cigarettes? Seen a commercial with those ..none nicotine but suppose to taste the same and they make smoke too.One filter suppose to last like one pack of cigs.

Try buying a pack of brand names in New York for under 9 dollars.. will NOT happen.. its insane

I quit about 4 months ago .. after smoking for 30 years.. I miss it.. once in a while i get super bad cravings for one.

I remember when I was young... My dad had one of those things that made cigs.. it was a donkey standing on a box.. you had to put the tobacco in and the emty cig with the filter attached and do something.. then the filled cig came out of his butt.. I always remembered that because I thought it was THE funniest thing..Later on we all made our own smokes.. and in Germany its very common that people make their own smokes.. not so much here I think..I can still roll a smoke like a boss :doh:

Guest Lester Weevils
What a bout those E-cigarettes? Seen a commercial with those ..none nicotine but suppose to taste the same and they make smoke too.One filter suppose to last like one pack of cigs.

There is a good thread on here about the ecigs--

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/62179-electronic-cigarettes-anyone.html

About a year ago I got some generic ecigs from the corner store and wasn't happy with them. Then a few months ago got some Volcano ecigs which seem very good quality. As best I can tell it would be very inexpensive to smoke them with the refillable carts.

I quit tobacco and only smoked ecigs for a few weeks and sinuses improved and chest may have cleared. But perhaps coincidentally had a couple of ornery aggravating health problems afterwards and didn't know whether the ecigs had anything to do with it so went back to modest usage of the real thing. Will probably try the ecigs again after I get fully healed up, just to see if it was coincidence, but have a sneaking suspicion that nicotine delivery via vaporized propylene glycol doesn't agree with my system. I get a weird "coated" feeling in the mouth which is probably the glycerin and propylene glycol. Haven't read other people complaining about that, so maybe it is spurious findings.

I remember when I was young... My dad had one of those things that made cigs.. it was a donkey standing on a box.. you had to put the tobacco in and the emty cig with the filter attached and do something.. then the filled cig came out of his butt.. I always remembered that because I thought it was THE funniest thing..Later on we all made our own smokes.. and in Germany its very common that people make their own smokes.. not so much here I think..I can still roll a smoke like a boss :doh:

I might try the cigarette machines. Would be lots cheaper. Maybe there is a pure mild tobacco available with lots of nicotine and not much tar.

Around 1971 worked at a psychiatric hospital and people on anti-psychotic drugs tended to drink lots of coffee and smoke lots of cigs trying to "shake off the fog". Patients who didn't have any money were given rolling papers and a max of one pack of Bugler tobacco per day. Some of those old guys would smoke their allotment down to nubs then save the nubs, and by bedtime empty out the nubs to roll one or two final "extra heavy duty" cigs for the day. That Bugler was incredibly rank and raw. Probably the Bugler was the cheapest thing the State Dept of Mental Health could buy. I tried rolling and smoking a few, but it would gag a maggot. Couldn't see how anybody could smoke that stuff all day every day.

Some old timers I worked with back in the day would tote papers and Sir Walter Raleigh rolled up in the shirt sleeve or shirt front pocket. They could roll and light up one handed. Quite a skill.

Never quite got the one handed thing down, but I do roll backhand. The gum edge of the paper starts facing the opposite way compared to most people (gum facing me).